• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What size Excavatorfor Land Clearing?

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
I wouldnt use an 18k lb excavator to clear 10 acres of land mainly because i cant give that much time to a project. If i were clearing a property for my self i would rent a larger excavator clear and stack trees hire out a grinder mulch down the trees and call it a day but if you have the time go for it. With enough time and patience i could clear those 10 acres with a backhoe

Logan

Occupation
Logger excavator operator and dad.
How badly do you want the stumps out? I've run a 20 tonne excavator (40,000LB?) with an 8 foot root rake, clear post harvest pine blocks with medium to heavy slash and some regen knockdown. Lineraking about 4 hectares a day (10 acres) apart from the stumps you end up with soil ready to plant grass in 16 metre wide strips with a 4 metre wide 3-4 metre high windrow of slash between each row of cleared ground. Cheapest way would be to get a saw operator/s to drop the lot then rake it up. This pic shows it done to replant spec for commercial pines in light slash, if you wanted to cultivate the soil with the rake and pretty it up around all the stumps you get thru about half the area each day. If you really want the stumps gone then I agree with Scrub, decent sized dozer will do a cleaner job faster. Good luck.line raking Ureweras.jpg

Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Logan. I have often wondered why folks don't put wider tools on excavators and always supposed it was because of the twisting effect on the boom . . . obviously you can.

Also, to my eyes that rake looks as though it is set up to push away from the machine and that is a whole different ball game as regards the ability to run a rake. I have always been told that excavators have little power on the "push away" function because of the configuration of the rams.

Could you set me straight on that one mate?

Cheers

Logan

Occupation
Hey Scrub I was actually told on day one something long the lines of don't pull in, keep that slash the fu** away from my machine, I modified it so I could tell the landowners, "don't pull or you'll go blind!" Which was potentially true with the hairy slash on pines.Much safer and faster to push away and plenty of power there even if you have to dance her on her heels a bit for the bigger stuff but that was only with ridiculous slash say 10 feet deep where a processor has just sat and done 1000 tonne of delimb/debark in one spot. We used to run a two way rake which would sit off the machine standing up and easy to hook on, but the single push away was way faster, felt lighter and more balanced. The supervisor sometimes wanted us to pull slash down but only if we were in a steep sided gorge or working along a near vertical bluff.

Saw wider rakes than this and I reckon you can use them ok just do any stump pulling with the stump inline with the stick/boom, even with this normal width one I would never try poking a corner under a stump because you could see the stress it places on the gear. It would handle bumping into hidden stumps under full power, but I wanted to make sure when I went to work I had the machine fully operational all day so didn't lever the tool. That said I could go round or slid over most stumps, only run into one in the wrong place on a narrow ridge maybe once a week at worst. Did about 1000 hrs on a ex200-5 and 2000hrs on a komatsu pc200….-8 I think raking. There's about 20 excavs in Kaingaroa doing mostly spot cultivation but I'd say most have a rake with them too, mostly 20t with a few 25t units.Cheers

Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Gotcha Logan.

For me that "push away" technique would open up a whole new application for excavators.

I have often thought about it but never really got into the nitty gritty of seeing if it was possible and now I bloody know.

I would imagine that would be a marvellous tool for raking out the ashes after burning heaps?

Cheers.

Queenslander

Reminds me of a time when we were working alongside one of the big gas pipelines to Gladstone.
Pipe had been buried and topsoil replaced, excavator with wide rake grab was shaking soil from timber on the side of the RoW and stacking it neatly in piles ready to burn.
He'd done about a km when big d*ck from the gas co. came along, said that wasn't the plan, it has to be scattered across the width of the RoW.
Old mate duly complied and started back, flinging the timber out of the piles.
Just as he got to the end, irate landholder arrived demanding that it be stacked and burnt.
All this took best part of a week, I felt like buying the poor operator a beer or three.
Cheers, Greg

dozer12216

Occupation
Currentlly clearing some 50 acres for farmland.
don't cut the trees before felling. Geez! so much extra hard work.. A 30000# unit will get job done but heavier is better. I'm using a Hatichi EX270 for heavy clearing on second regrowth oaks and such. Digging those stumps is awful. Most of the 24 inch plus stumps take a hole large engough to bury the 4H dozer we're using. Yours will not be near as bad in sand and pines also helps. Learn how to push down on smaller and work way up to the bigger ones. Stack with excavator or at least get them lined up for pushing. KEEP WORK TO RIGHT OF BOOM.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
With enough time and patience i could clear those 10 acres with a backhoe

With time, patience and enough money for diesel, anything is possible with any machine.;)

kiwi450x

Scrub. You're right about the rams pushing the wrong way. A good friend of mine does a lot of root-raking in the forest I work in, and he was saying if you hop off the digger during the day, the lift rams are stone cold as they do bugger all but the dipper and bucket rams are steaming hot as they're working "backwards" all day.

As an aside, I've always liked the "bone shaped" root rakes which can push and pull, but I can see Logan's point about running a single sided rake as 90% of the residue is pushed away.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
A nice late model 350 would be one of the better picks for clearing ground in the Florida swamps..rent the biggest machine you can afford locally. The bigger, the faster it clears ..
Go big ..too much of a machine is rarely an issue where not enough machine can be a show stopper...

Last edited:

Logan

Occupation
Yeah not sure on the ashes deal Scrub, we were never allowed to light fires in Kang, although god knows we wanted to when doing spot cultivation in the thick slash. Just all their compartments are different ages so might be 40hectares harvested here then some 18 year old trees etc that won't be harvested for 10 years so not kosher to set fire to anything. The place was that big that I think they were harvesting 700hectares a month and said they can go on like that forever as it was a sustainable rate. An engineer in Rotorua made the rake I was using but can't recall his name just now. If making your own seems to be the smooth curve makes a big difference to speed. The tines were cut out of 20mm plate.

Yair . . . Gotcha Logan.

For me that "push away" technique would open up a whole new application for excavators.

I have often thought about it but never really got into the nitty gritty of seeing if it was possible and now I bloody know.

I would imagine that would be a marvellous tool for raking out the ashes after burning heaps?

Cheers.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
pafarmer, Well said, I would rather be oversized with any timber clearing than under any day. I never did any pine or any in sandy soils but rather oaks, hickory, elm, cottonwood ets. and they are all tough to get out any way you go at it and very hard on equipment. I can not imagine felling them and then going after the stump. I prefer a trackloader and excavator when doing that job.
A nice late model 350 would be one of the better picks for clearing ground in the Florida swamps..rent the biggest machine you can afford locally. The bigger, the faster it clears ..
Go big ..too much of a machine is rarely an issue where not enough machine can be a show stopper...

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
I think the Gladstone is 100% correct. If you want to want to get of the tree including roots Mechanical advantage comes into play every time,google fulcrum,Leverage.

pafarmer

Occupation
Pines push over easy. Generally speaking they are a shallow rooted tree with most roots running along the surface and one deep feeder directly to the middle. I will dig alittle around the base of the tree itself snapping the bigger roots on each side and then push the tree over. You get the root ball this way and clean up is at a minimum. A CAT 953 for pushing and piling or loading into the grinder from there. 10 acres of pine could be easily gone in a days time by an experienced crew, all that being said, Land clearing is dangerous work , loads of pitfalls waiting for you. If you are not expericed on a tracked excavator I recommend hiring it out to someone that is. In the long run it would be much cheaper and a whole bunch cleaner when it's done. Safety should be your prime concern. Asking what size machine to use is a very telling question in my humble opinion and it speaks to why hiring someone would be the more intelligent choice. Not saying your not capable just concerned that you would make a huge mess and have a high probability of hurting yourself, soneome else or a very expensive rented excavator.... I truly hope me being frank on the subject does not offend you in anyway. it's a bit more involved then most may think or feel and that concerns me a bit....good luck and be careful...

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Na, your all wrong, put in a good sized forestry mulcher,about 300-400hp. No burning, no stump holes, just job done and ready for seeding, simple.

pafarmer

Occupation
Na, your all wrong, put in a good sized forestry mulcher,about 300-400hp. No burning, no stump holes, just job done and ready for seeding, simple.

Ha ha....that would work for sure....not sure he up to that challenge.....be fun to watch someone try that has never operated one of those beasts...

sjm1580

Thanks for all the input. Ended up renting a Kobelco 170 and it worked out great. I did scratch the paint once or twice but that was extent of the problems with clearing the property.

Thanks again for the advice!