• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What should I get?

SnoSheriff

I'm looking to get a trailer and a machine. I have 2006 F-350 diesel pickup that will put the setup. I'm thinking on getting 20' skid steer trailer with 14,000lbs GVW to haul the machine and my other F-350. I'm thinking that i need a used skids steer and I need advice.

My primary need for a machine is to lift pallets with 200-250lbs crates on them for a total pallet cargo weight of ~1200lbs. I believe the least expensive way would be to get a used forklift but I want a machine that's a bit more useful than a forklift. Other potential usage of the machine:
  • level my driveway
  • clear the snow in the winter
  • odd landscaping work
  • I have some bush that I'd like to clear. Mainly poplars and young trees. I'm guessing < 8" diameter
  • I'm also thinking that I could do some odd jobs with a skid steer so it would help reduce the investment.
  • post hole drilling - there is a lot of new house construction around here...

I think I may also need a dump trailer but that purchase has not been "approved" by the wallet holder :eek: (wife). What are your thoughts?

Do I need tracked skid steer or wheeled one? What's the diff? Long term expenses? Reliability?

Last edited:

Homerun

I think you can find a used skid steer with wheels machine, Auction sites like Ironplanet.com has a very good equipments there for auctioning and most of them are inspected, if you like bobcat brand you can find a used S220, or S180 andit will take care of your business, I have also F350 06 powerstroke and I have a t250 bobcat and I am very satesfide with what I got. but as I said check the auction site and the market is buyers market these days.

SnoSheriff

How come you went with T250 tracked machine? I was thinking about T250 or T300. How many HP should I be looking for? Will the skid steer be able to handle the mentioned bush clearing of the trees? Would I be able pop up the roots or???

Homerun

How come you went with T250 tracked machine? I was thinking about T250 or T300. How many HP should I be looking for? Will the skid steer be able to handle the mentioned bush clearing of the trees? Would I be able pop up the roots or???

Well I used to have S220 with metal tracks and it did very well, the only reason I went with the t250 is that I do 90% of my work as finish grading, and with tons of concrete to cross, I got real tired of the metal tracks, but I said you may go with the wheel machine because the $$$$ diffrent, my T250 new costed me almost $53K and it was very expensive if I was not going to do all that High $$ houses. and I thought if you looking for a used T250 then you got to spend a good deal of $$ to get a good one other wise you might find some not very good. wheels machines are way cheaper to maintain too.

joispoi

If the primary use is going to be moving pallets on a production basis, I'd seriously consider going with a fork lift-assuming you're working on a paved or concrete surface- it's smoother, faster and more productive. With the money you'll save, you'll have plenty left over to put a plow on your truck and rent an excavator to do the clearing and landscaping jobs.

SnoSheriff

If the primary use is going to be moving pallets on a production basis, I'd seriously consider going with a fork lift-assuming you're working on a paved or concrete surface- it's smoother, faster and more productive. With the money you'll save, you'll have plenty left over to put a plow on your truck and rent an excavator to do the clearing and landscaping jobs.
Good points. The unloading is done on a gravel surface. Unload speed/productivity is not an issue because I can take my time. I simply need a machine to do this rather than manhandling it by hand.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Good points. The unloading is done on a gravel surface. Unload speed/productivity is not an issue because I can take my time. I simply need a machine to do this rather than manhandling it by hand.

If pallet unloading is just the occasional thing, a skid would work fine. With a forklift...it's a forklift, that's all it is. With a skid, you get a whole lot more operation options open to ya. As for wheel or track, just depends on your applications. Wheel skid will do most anything a track skid will do except off roading in soft soils. They won't chase a track skid through the muck. If your going to use a brush cutter, an S185 or T190 would handle them, but a bigger skid would be better, more like the 250 size. :)

SnoSheriff

Will the skid steer be able to handle the mentioned bush clearing of the trees? Would I be able pop up the roots or how would I do that?

Would a mini excavator be an option for my needs? Which machine would have higher demand for odd jobs? Skid or mini excavator?

grandpa

They have attachments for skidsteers for almost everything, a grapple will root the roots out and also handle the trees and brush you have to move.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Will the skid steer be able to handle the mentioned bush clearing of the trees? Would I be able pop up the roots or how would I do that?

Would a mini excavator be an option for my needs? Which machine would have higher demand for odd jobs? Skid or mini excavator?

A good size skid steer can handle rotary brush cutters (like a bush hog mower). Roots are a little different. There are attachments out there to grub roots and trees, but serious root grubbing just about requires a root rake on a dozer, different animal altogether. You can't really compare excavator to skid as they are totally different. The two machines have attributes that the other can't perform as well. They each have their purpose. If your going to be digging, that's where the excavator is at home. But for more all purpose tasks, a skid loader with all the attachments available for sale or rent is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

LoL...looks like me and gramps kinda agree on something. That's messed up. :lmao

Last edited:

SnoSheriff

Stay away from a track machine if you absolutly dont need it, as they are too expensive to operate....my 2 cents.
In what sense and by how much?

Would steel tracks on a wheeled machine do the same job as a rubber tracked machine? I'm assuming that the rubber tracked machine would be much gentler on the topsoil and grass surface...

I'm also concerned that the wheeled machine will not get into the bush when the ground is soft after the rain or when there is lots of snow on the ground. What are your thoughts on this?

Homerun

In what sense and by how much?

Would steel tracks on a wheeled machine do the same job as a rubber tracked machine? I'm assuming that the rubber tracked machine would be much gentler on the topsoil and grass surface...

I'm also concerned that the wheeled machine will not get into the bush when the ground is soft after the rain or when there is lots of snow on the ground. What are your thoughts on this?

Well I will tell you my experiance of both, my first machine was a bobcat s220 and I had a steel tacks on it, it wasa very strong and good machine, I did almost all the things I wanted to do with it, but if it was extremely mudd, it had it's down sides, like it will be harder on ground compare to a track machine, but when it comes to maintnance track machines are from start way highr in $ price compareto wheel machines, the S220 was around 35K new compare to 53K for the T250. plus whenit comes t the trcks you are looking for about 3500 to get a good set of tracks, Idlers, sprockets, drive pumps are way expensive on the track machines, plus you got to be very carful not to snatch the tracks when it comes to rocky grounds, as Imenshened before, the reason I gt my T250 is the Finish grade I do for yards, if my business was not so depending on the finish grade I will never spend the extra $$ for track machine, Wheel machine has plety power and will do all the things you want to do, plus if you go on gravel and black top surface alot, wheel machine is e way to go.

grandpa

I bought a Cat 267B brand new, have now 1600 hrs on the machine and presently on the third set of tracks, at 8 grand a set. The last time I changed everything,roller frames, motors hoses all of it, 18 grand. Its a hell of a workhorse, but as expensive as my D8 to operate... about do anything with it tho..I charge 115/hr and it aint any too much thats for sure.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
snosheriff

i rented a cat 257B from the cat rental place in winnipeg.

we got the snowblower attachment as well

even though this machine is a tracked machine so it might be to much $$ to buy
it was a very strong machine we redid our gravel drive way and other jobs around the property

you will be very happy with this machine if it fits your budget.