• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What should I change

dalaplant

I have a couple skid steers (a New Holland and a TAKEUCHI) and a JCB backhoe. All are in need of some "service". I was going to replace all fluids in these but I'm not sure what "all oils" means. On the skid steers is there any more fluids to be replaced then engine oil and hydraulic fluid? On the Backhoe I was thinking Engine oil / filter, hydraulic fluid, and Trans fluid and filters. What else should I be thinking to change?

Also I know the New Holland and JCB hydraulic fluids have some water in the systems, I know I can empty the tank and refill it, but is there a way to purge all the lines with out pretty much taking them all apart?

Any advice would be helpful. I pretty much have these for use around the house so they don't get lots of hours on them but I'd like to keep them in good shape for when I do need them.

Thanks,
Doug

Jeff D.

dalaplant said:
I was going to replace all fluids in these but I'm not sure what "all oils" means. On the skid steers is there any more fluids to be replaced then engine oil and hydraulic fluid? On the Backhoe I was thinking Engine oil / filter, hydraulic fluid, and Trans fluid and filters. What else should I be thinking to change?

I'm not familiar with your particular skid steers,but on many there's also a gearcase,which is where the hydraulic motors are coupled to the wheels.They may have gears,or chains and sprockets.This should be changed also.My Bobcat uses the same fluid type as the hydraulic system to lubricate these,although these fluids never intermingle.(at least they shouldn't)

The hydraulic fluid in a skid steer is sometimes DIFFERENT than standard hydraulic fluid,as it also is used in the hydrostatic drive,and needs different lubricating properties.

One other area that could need changing is in the engines injection pump,if it's a diesel.Some(like mine)have their own reservior,internal to the pump,which should have the oil changed at ?(mine 100hrs)interval.This is commonly overlooked,as not all injection pumps are seperately internally lubed in this fashion.

On the backhoe the only other oil I can think of would be the power steering,if it has it's own reservior.Not an often changed fluid,but should be looked at atleast.

The coolant also should be check,and changed at regular intervals,for both skid steers,and backhoe,and every piece of equipment.Diesels need to have an SCA(supplimental coolant additive) in the coolant to prevent cavitation in the cylinder linings.Gas engines aren't prone to this cavitation,and so it wouldn't be needed.This SCA needs to be maintained at a certain level,and is depleted as the coolant ages.It should be checked at every service with test strips,for nitrite,nitrate,and ph levels(looks like a diabetic test strip)

It's a good idea to invest in the shop manuals for your new equipment.Sometimes an odd fluid is recommended for a special reason,and it's important to make sure your using the right stuff.(like the skid steer hydro-hydrastatic fluid)

Good luck.

Jeff D.

Jeff D. said:
This SCA needs to be maintained at a certain level,and is depleted as the coolant ages.It should be checked at every service with test strips,for nitrite,nitrate,and ph levels(looks like a diabetic test strip)

Er.....Glycol & Nitrite levels,not Nitrate like I said above.I was getting water test strips,and anti-freeze test strips mixed up,sorry!!

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Rear ends.
yes you can and probably should purge. Use a good purging agent and follow the directions.

dieselnich

Occupation
electronics tech 3/ instructor
Amsoil has your application covered from engine oil, transmission fluids, Hydraulics, filters, greases. Stuff with worldwide certifications and work both in cold and hot weather. You can study or buy through www.greensynthetic.com or just ask me more questions. Thanks, Rich