• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what make is this

billyboy890

Occupation
driven pre cast piler from the uk currently workin
this old girl turned up on site the other day any one know what make she is?,looked all over but couldn't find a name
dozah001.jpg
dozah002.jpg
dozah003.jpg
dozah007.jpg
dozah006.jpg

tctractors

Try Komatsu D65 or possibly D85 as the hoist cylinders look slightly odd??, what ever it is its a Dog and a half of a chunk of Iron, good photos though Billy.

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
The turbo/muffler set up points to it being a early model D155a.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Looks like an early Komatsu to me as well.:beatsme

Yeah it may be in rough shape but it beats a shovel.;) I have had the "experience" of trying to get a project done in a developing country as well - you use what you have available. Substandard equipment, poor materials and an unskilled workforce, it's not for the faint of heart.:cool2

pp13bnos

CM1995, you are right about beating a shovel! Ive seen first had how building in 3rd world countrys goes. I spent some time down in Honduras with some former family who had a house built. Since the OP is from England, I just guessed it was there.

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Sure hope they aint planing on pulling much . There is only 1 nut holding that whole drawbar on !!!!!

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
i agree komatsu 155a i think the motor is a KTA 1150? cummins, the fuel tank patches are awesome, they must have had to cut it open to get the pack rat family out before they took it to the next job....:pointlaugh

tctractors

I must admit this tractor makes my eyes water, the single bolt holding the wishbone on must be 1'000 grade?? the engine looks to me to be the Komatsu SAD 155 unit as its fitted with a conventional style in-line fuel pump, the blade looks in fair shape though just needing a slight bit of fettling on the cutting edges, at first I though it was a tractor on a site in the U.K. but then I thought we dont have tractors as good as this here??? if it still has a bit of push in it the tractor is hell of a beast.

Billy X

Says alot about those old girls eh. They were a bloody good tractor, my old boss had one that had a chain hanging of her ass most of her life in some of the thickest timber and steepest country anybody has ever seen. She had a bad radiator leak at one stage and for quite a few weeks we would just pull up at the cattle trough in the morning and fill jerry cans full of mossy water to keep her going through the day. Never missed a days work. He was not the sort of bloke to spend $$ maintaining equipment, just drive her till she breaks. I remember filling the final drives with liquid grease as well just to get some more life out of her!! She ran like that for years.... Makes me cringe when I see alot of blokes knocking the Komatsu brand as I have had quite alot to do with there dozers, excavators and loaders over the years and from what I have seen they make a good product.

JDOFMEMI

I look at this old tractor and see a lot of relations to a Cat D-8H. Looks like they copied a lot from the Cat machine.

Looking at the face of the blade, it is worn down a bit, as you can see the ridges from the inner supports, but it is only patched in the corners, and does not appear to have ever been reskinned. Most Cats as old as this have pushed enough to need the blade skinned a couple of times. That said, with the total disregard for maintenancve that it apparently gets, it is pretty impressive that it has lasted this long.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It was once said that the first version of the D155 was a pretty much direct copy of a D8H and that the relevant Cat parts were a direct fit in a lot of areas of the early Komatsu D155's and vice versa for Komatsu parts on a D8H. Not sure how true that was.

Rusted

It was once said that the first version of the D155 was a pretty much direct copy of a D8H and that the relevant Cat parts were a direct fit in a lot of areas of the early Komatsu D155's and vice versa for Komatsu parts on a D8H. Not sure how true that was.

The D125A was a dead ringer for an early D8H, and they certainly looked as though you could swap parts from one to the other, I remember it being said at the time that it looked like a good case for patent infringement.

Billy X

I think we should really thank Komatsu for there product... Because without Komatsu, Caterpillar would not be making the quality equipment it is today. As for it being a copy of the D8H, if you have ever seen the final drive parts from both sitting on a bench you will know that is just an old wife's tale.

CAT793

Check out how many Broken exhaust bolts it has in the Manifolds.

I think those engines were an early relation to the Cummins NTA855 or early N14.....????

Last edited: