• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What length dump trailer for 305?

I'm wondering what length bumper pull dump trailer is needed to fit a Cat 305?

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
The Cat 305 has a weight of 13,000 lbs (full fuel and wide bucket). The dump trailer you need will have a empty weight of 8-10,000lbs and be 18- 20' long and you need heavy duty reinforced D-rings and chain binders. You need the longer trailer to be able to keep the boom low under 14' height bridge clearance. You likely need a gooseneck style trailer with two 10,0000 lb axles and GVWR of 25,000lb and of course a one ton dually 3500 size pick up, or class 8 truck with DOT numbers, and a class A CDL. Even if you could get it into say a 14GVW dump trailer, the trailer has a weight of 6,500 lbs, so your load is still only suppose to be 7000-8000 lbs. So you would be way, way over loaded and extremely dangerous and the 14' length would mean the boom is too high or sticking out of the dump box. The boom must have it's own tie downs to stop the boom from swinging side to side to be legal. You could try something like a BIG TEX 7×16 DUMP TRAILER 8 TON bumper pull 16 gvw, but I bet you would bend the loading ramps, and the excavator wouldn't fit real well and tie down and the trailer wouldn't last.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I have a 305C and it fits in my 14' gooseneck dump. I didn't say it was a great setup, but it fits and there are no overhead clearance issues.
Load it with the blade to the rear and run the tracks pretty much all the way until they bump the front of the box. Swing the boom to the left and rotate the house to the right until the swing knuckle is almost hitting the left side of the trailer and the doors will just close without hitting the stick. You won't be able to lower the blade all the way, as it will hit the bucket. I just set the blade on the bucket.
There is a lot of tongue weight like this, I wouldn't try it on a bumper pull rig. There is probably 4-5k on the neck; I ran this setup the first year or so in business with a F450 pulling it. It worked because 4500lb on the deck of that truck was not a problem, a SRW pickup really isn't cut out for that.
Keep in mind that a 305 has about 1.5" clearance for the tracks on the inside of the box. It's a tight fit that isn't really ideal for daily work.
You also need a trailer with 8k axles, at least. Your standard 14k bumper pull dump isn't going to cut it.