• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What kind of Clark Forklift

Hackshaq

I just purchased an older Clark Forklift and I was hoping somebody could help me identify what the model number is for this thing, based on the photos. I have looked everywhere I can to find the model/serial and I think they are long gone. Not on the mast, dash, left chassis, or around the seat. I know the carb is a CA 55, if that helps date it

Attachments

• IMG_8972.jpg
    IMG_8972.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8971.jpg
    IMG_8971.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26

petepilot

I would guess late 50s early 60s . those were used by many moving& storage warehouses also in grocery wh.s and thats a good looking machine looks to be 3500-4000 lbs model# I don`t know

lantraxco

Probably an early C20 or C25. The carb is aftermarket, as originally this was a gasoline machine, it's been converted to Propane. Look on the top of the frame on either side inside the doors, should be a serial number stamped somewhere. I say that but my CY50B came with no serial number, I have to order parts by number because forklift parts people lock up completely if there are two choices for a master cylinder. Petepilot is correct on the vintage, the mast crossbar style makes it an early machine, newer units just had big torch cut flat plate cross bars behind the upright channels instead of the pipes.

Jeff14889

Serious question, I’m not trying to be an a-hole but why would anyone buy such an old machine? Any piece of equipment that old.

lantraxco

Serious question, I’m not trying to be an a-hole but why would anyone buy such an old machine? Any piece of equipment that old.
Cheap, reliable, easy to maintain and repair, and will likely outlive us all with clean oil in her now and then.

Old Doug

Were i work they have newer stuff i have old stuff. I also have a part time job that i own. If i didnt have older stuff theres no way i could keep up with the repairs. The older stuff is alot more dependable when it comes time to make repairs. Something like this fork lift i can look at it and make a repair the newer one at work when it gos down i have to test and figure out what is wrong. I have a forklift about the same age as this one in the last 17years its been out of action for maybe 2 hours while i made repairs the one at work i spent 16 hour trying to make it run right. It has a problem with its Hydrolics that several lift mechanics has looked at and not been able to fix. Equipment tractors,dozers,trucks and forklifts from day one they tryed to improve them to make them last longer and longer at some time this started changing now its how long does this need to last? A good mechanic can take a old lift like this and make it last another life time. Most anything 50 years old if its hasnt rusted out can be rebuilt and made very usable i dont think that will be said 50 years from now.

Hackshaq

Thanks guys for the info. That got me pointed in a good direction. I got to looking around and found it above the right rear tire. Dont know why I missed it. Its a c20. 38E1238 The guy that sold it said that it could do 2500 lbs.

What vaporizer, fuel lock, and fuel hose do I need for this guy? Can I still search for fuel parts for a c20 given that is was converted to propane? Do you know what model numbers for those would work for this truck? Do you have a service manual for this guy?

Thanks a lot for the help. I am looking to see if I cant get this guy tuned up and running good. Seems like a pretty simple machine (for a guy that does not know the first thing about forklifts).

One important thing I would like to know is if the guy will support a 32 in load center @ 1300 lbs? My pallets are about 65 inches long. If I have to, I can get them from the side, but getting them long ways would be better

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

lantraxco

You have all the pieces there for identification, as Old Doug says it's generic propane gear and is available everywhere on the net or from any decent forklift dealer or parts outlet. Also some propane distributors do installs and repairs. One question though, why would you think it needs any of that stuff? Those components are usually almost totally bulletproof. There are kits available for the convertor for about $20, or the complete unit new on EBAY for about $75, the carb runs around $125 or so, just search on the part number or model there. The fuel lock solenoid and filter are are interchangeable, just get a solenoid valve that matches the battery voltage.
Fuel hose is usually made to length by your local hydraulic hose supplier, or again a decent propane distributor or forklift dealer.

So, what's it doing/not doing that makes you think it needs work on the propane gear?

That's a Continental flathead engine, maybe even a Y112 in a machine that small.

Usually the rating would be 2,500 pounds at 24" load center, sometimes the smaller machines would be rated in closer, but you're probably okay with 1,300 at 32" I'm not suggesting this, but it's fairly common on these older machines to see some yard art additional counterweight metal hanging off the back end to help keep the steer tires in touch with the ground.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

Many of us can and will fix them cheap. A lot of satisfaction in resurrecting an old machine. Why pay a ton of money for something we use occasionally at home?

Hackshaq

So, what's it doing/not doing that makes you think it needs work on the propane gear?

Thanks lantraxco, Old Doug, and old-iron-habit.

I get a couple pallets every two weeks so a little guy like this in my back pocket will help a lot. Also the $1250 for it and the fact that it runs helps. ;-) I dont plan to use it a bunch, so yeah, cheap helps :)

The engine runs a little rough and smells of propane after its been sitting. A tech suggested I take a look at replacing the lock and the vaporizer. Also, the seller told me the starter is a little iffy, so I need to work on that as well. I have read on this site that the CA 55 likes to gum up so I figured it could use a cleaning. Are there any instructions/tips on repairing/rebuilding these parts.

Maybe I am going about this wrong, but I figured I would get the fuel supply squared away and known good.

Are there any service manuals for this thing?

Thanks everybody for the help. I am mostly a computer geek, so buying and repairing a forklift from the 50s is kind of next level stuff for me. ;-) I do work on cars, but never touched a forklift before. Real nice knowing there are gents such as yourselves out there.

56wrench

on propane units, the vaporiser eventually/usually builds up internally with waxy crap over time as a result of the heat generated by the engine coolant circulating through the vaporiser used to aid in the transition from liquid to gas( high pressure liquid to low pressure gas). unless yours does not have coolant circulating through it. debris and crap also gets trapped in the in-line strainer/filter if it has one. the vaporiser can be taken apart, cleaned and resealed with a rebuild kit. any fabricated hoses used for propane use should be labeled/certified by the manufacturer. this assumes that a proper conversion was done by a qualified installer and not a cobbled-together unit

Old Doug

If you take any thing apart on the propane side wear 2 pairs of rubber gloves or your hands will smell for days.

56wrench

on the other hand, most of us old mechanics have smelly hands on a regular basis:D. my wife can't stand the smell of solvent, diesel fuel, gasoline, handcleaner, old gear oil, and most of the other stuff i use or work on:rolleyes:

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Third pic, hose into the round device, it into the lock off... Round device is the LP filter.
Somewhere in your working on it, disassemble and clean the bronze inside with solvent.

Jeff14889

Cheap, reliable, easy to maintain and repair, and will likely outlive us all with clean oil in her now and then.
But can you get parts, like say the hydraulic control valves were worn would parts even be available? I imagine it would be very hard to find parts on some of these old ones.

Jeff14889

The oldest thing I have worked on is doing an engine swap on my 96 Mustang. LOL
Not really, try and find parts for a Strato-lift scissor lift. Besides the pq joystick and generic relays/switches you won’t find any parts available. My job is mostly hyster and Yale forklifts and even some old hyster’s some parts are just not available anymore.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Not really, try and find parts for a Strato-lift scissor lift. Besides the pq joystick and generic relays/switches you won’t find any parts available. My job is mostly hyster and Yale forklifts and even some old hyster’s some parts are just not available anymore.

Subscribe to Material Handling Wholesaler. Magazine/paper full of good info on theindustey plus great leads on Used/dismantlers, after market parts, and rebuilders.