• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what kind of actual production with small gravel screen plants does one get?

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Thinking of purchasing a small portable small gravel screen plant.
Either with or without a conveyor.
Like a EZ1000 or EZ1200 or similar machine.
Does any one have one,
and WHAT kind of production in gravel cubic yards per hour of working time,
with what size gravel screen in the screen plant do you get with
WHAT size bucket on loader or excavator that is feeding the screen plant.
Please communicate if the machine you are commenting on has a conveyor or not, in your reply.
How do these small light weight machines hold up in real world production?
Any horror stories with these small machines that any one may have, that they care to share.
What are the high maintance items on these machines?
Any comments on the quality of the various brands?

Sharky

Kind of depends on what product you intend on making. 1'' 2'' 4'' etc...? and the type of material being fed, which will also depend on how often it needs cleaned or re sreened due to wear.

With that being said, I have been around and fed several small plants with and without belts. They are very handy units and some very reliable. U get what u pay for as with anything.

The Read, Nordberg, or Power Screen units are all very reliable and the smaller ones, (say a 12' X 8' top deck?) are great for small projects including topsoil screening or whatever it is you plan on doing.

Fed with a loader (Say 966 size) and material such as sand and gravel (6'' minus sandy material)?. Making 1 1/2'' minus? 4'' screens up top and 1 1/2'' on the lower deck? Same loader feeding as packing off reject and pay material.. Your production may be around 125+ tph? Again it depends on the material being fed and what your after. Feeding wet or bony material will obviously slow production as well as the screen blinding (plugging) or running empty.

They require little maintenance besides daily grease and fuel. Keep the screens tight and dont drop huge rocks from real high and they can last a long time.
Feeding with one machine will cut operation/handling costs, however if it is not feasible a 200 class machine (general purpose bucket)can easily keep up with the plant making most any product and say a 950 or so packing away..

Now, with material that needs to meet spec, depending on the pay product, the may or may not work. I will try to dig up some pics if I can find any of different plants we had over the years in operation. And again as far as production, depends on the fed and pay products. Set up properly and used effectively these machines can pay for themselves in a relatively short time period. Keep them maintained and properly setup, Level/greased/tight etc..

Good luck and I hope this helps.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Kind of depends on what product you intend on making. 1'' 2'' 4'' etc...? and the type of material being fed, which will also depend on how often it needs cleaned or re sreened due to wear.

With that being said, I have been around and fed several small plants with and without belts. They are very handy units and some very reliable. U get what u pay for as with anything.

The Read, Nordberg, or Power Screen units are all very reliable and the smaller ones, (say a 12' X 8' top deck?) are great for small projects including topsoil screening or whatever it is you plan on doing.

Fed with a loader (Say 966 size) and material such as sand and gravel (6'' minus sandy material)?. Making 1 1/2'' minus? 4'' screens up top and 1 1/2'' on the lower deck? Same loader feeding as packing off reject and pay material.. Your production may be around 125+ tph? Again it depends on the material being fed and what your after. Feeding wet or bony material will obviously slow production as well as the screen blinding (plugging) or running empty.

They require little maintenance besides daily grease and fuel. Keep the screens tight and dont drop huge rocks from real high and they can last a long time.
Feeding with one machine will cut operation/handling costs, however if it is not feasible a 200 class machine (general purpose bucket)can easily keep up with the plant making most any product and say a 950 or so packing away..

Now, with material that needs to meet spec, depending on the pay product, the may or may not work. I will try to dig up some pics if I can find any of different plants we had over the years in operation. And again as far as production, depends on the fed and pay products. Set up properly and used effectively these machines can pay for themselves in a relatively short time period. Keep them maintained and properly setup, Level/greased/tight etc..

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply, I thought I would get more replies then only yours.
I have a 1 3/4 yard loader to feed the plant with, so the 12 x 8 deck would be to big for what I am thinking.
Does the conveyor make that big a difference in production, with one loader feeding it removing the oversize reject and hauling away and stockpiling the screened pay dirt from a plant with out a conveyor.
Plan on having 1 inch screens on bottom deck. Would need very heavy screen top deck to handle the rocks with say 3 inch opening top screen. I think that should work instead of a grizzly, what do you think?
The screen plants you mentioned are heavy duty plants agree, I am thinking of smaller screen plants that a 2 yard loader bucket would be max for it, say 6 x 5 screen deck.

Last edited:

cat943

Occupation
loader and excavator operator
Hi having not used the smaller screening plants like the EZ1000 and EZ1200 I cant comment on the production rates of them but I have used bigger mobile screening and crushing plants for the production of crush rock and aggregate and the screening of topsoils and most of the screening plants all work the same way.

From the look of the pic’s it would be far better to use one with a conveyor, as it would double the production rate. As cleaning out from under the machine would take time away from screening unless the operator was quick at stockpiling and the raw product was placed close to the machine.

From the look of the pics of the machines the only thing I don’t like is you can’t adjust the angle of the screen to give more screening time in the case of damp material. The way its set up it’s the loader that would control production and speed of the screening.

ezscreen

Hi having not used the smaller screening plants like the EZ1000 and EZ1200 I cant comment on the production rates of them but I have used bigger mobile screening and crushing plants for the production of crush rock and aggregate and the screening of topsoils and most of the screening plants all work the same way.

From the look of the pic’s it would be far better to use one with a conveyor, as it would double the production rate. As cleaning out from under the machine would take time away from screening unless the operator was quick at stockpiling and the raw product was placed close to the machine.

From the look of the pics of the machines the only thing I don’t like is you can’t adjust the angle of the screen to give more screening time in the case of damp material. The way its set up it’s the loader that would control production and speed of the screening.

Hi, Thought I would pipe in about the angle adjustment of the screen deck. When setting up the EZ-1200XL you can adjust the angle "manually" by blocking up the low side of the machine to flatten the screen deck. This can be accomplished by using the front and rear hydraulics to raise the machine, place the blocking under the low side and then lowering the 1200XL onto the blocking. Once this is done you will have to readjust the vulcanized conveyor belt so that it tracks correctly. I know it's low tech... but it works! Thanks!