• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is it about Bobcat's that make them so popular?

Jeepwalker

Just curious what factors make Bobcat's so popular? Is it because they were early in the market? More guys like the controls layout better? Stronger for the price? Unique white paint? Better dealer network? Reliability? I'm not trying to incite a flame war (mine's a Case), but there is no denying that Bobcat's are extremely popular.

Jeepwalker

skata

they were the pioneers. were american made. good dealer network. lot of attachment options, and good advertising.

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
So true, guys around here advertise "Bobcat for Hire"... When the machine gets to site its a Cat or a Case. I suppose its because they were the first in the market (especially in South Africa) and because people look for Bobcats when they see them advertised, they know it as a Bobcat when they go to buy one, and what do they end up buying? A Bobcat...

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I dont think it has much to do with outperforming others in the market, as their machines are not often segment leading (in ways that are measurable). However BC machines are most always competetive. I think until the early to mid 90's they were not significantly challenged by any other OEMs. When you have the market to yourself for decades you will build a following which BC certainly has. Their marketing strength is largely unequaled in the compact market in my opinion. BC resale for most of their machines is good, that always helps. The BC dealer network is impressive considering that most dealerships only sell compact BC equipment. They did alot right early on and while they have had some missteps along the way, they largely have done a competent job of maintaining their marketshare. Although their marketshare is not as commanding as it once was, they still are the ones every OEM guns for.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It's the trade name that sticks. Much like Skill Saw, or Sawzall, or Vice Grip. Once you establish your name as the standard, all others have no choice to follow.

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
Their tracks stay on :drinkup

crewchief888

as mentioned a LOT of bobcat dealers are main line dealers, it's not a 2nd or 3rd line for them.
go into a mainline dealers service dept, the guy working on your bobcat works on them every day.
cat, case, mustang, new holland, deere ? who knows?

i'm NOT trying to badmouth or insinuate anything about any dealer of any eq brand.
i've worked in const dealerships for over 25 years, main line dealers tend to keep thier mechanics trained, up to date, and have the special tools required ( by the OEM) to make the correct diagnostic and repair.

you know the old saying
"sales sells the 1st machine, parts and service sell the rest"

:drinkup