• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is best penetrant to try and free frozen rusted piston?

colson04

I think he missed a great opportunity in that test by not measuring the torque or total time required to completely remove the nut from the stud. I'm sure there's a way to quantify the difference in products for complete lugnut removal.

A heavily corroded stud will fight the entire way out, not just at initial breakout. There, the ability of the different products to break down the rust on the threads would really shine, and may produce slightly different results.

Jpig

I have a 580K and I have the same problem. I just took the pump off to expose the harmonic balancer bolt. Guess what! No Harmonic balancer or bolt. Just a 1/2” pin to locate the adapter for the hyd pump. Don’t know what to do now. Yours may be different. I hope so.

not2bad

I have a 580K and I have the same problem. I just took the pump off to expose the harmonic balancer bolt. Guess what! No Harmonic balancer or bolt. Just a 1/2” pin to locate the adapter for the hyd pump. Don’t know what to do now. Yours may be different. I hope so.

Nope, same. Nothing on front same as yours. Tried Kroil no help so last hope I boiled some PB blaster and poured it down the 2 cylinders. Setting for a week now and haven't tried to see if it will work. Will update later.. If it doesn't work then more disassembly. The guy I bought it off of says not to worry about moving it yet and just do what I got to do..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If its stuck that tight and one other is near as bad, you may as well drag it out as will not ever get rings to reseat anyway. Corrosion down sides of piston skirt will score cylinder to hell and gone if ever moves so will either need a sleeve replaced or honed. Really surprises me to hear people trying to nickel and dime save these engines when are well past the point to do a full overhaul to get it worthy of work again.

Tinkerer

Amen to DMiller's comment.
When a piston is stuck that severely, it isn't worth breaking a ring-gear tooth or twisting off a crankshaft bolt when a complete overhaul is inevitable.
The sleeve will prolly have to be cut off of the piston to prevent any damage to the connecting rod. IMHO.

not2bad

Amen to DMiller's comment.
When a piston is stuck that severely, it isn't worth breaking a ring-gear tooth or twisting off a crankshaft bolt when a complete overhaul is inevitable.
The sleeve will prolly have to be cut off of the piston to prevent any damage to the connecting rod. IMHO.

Yeah doesn't look good for sure. One thing at a time. Such a pain. Oh well, my pain now...lol...sigh