• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is best penetrant to try and free frozen rusted piston?

not2bad

My 580ck gasoline engine is locked up. I had put some MMO down the cylinders about 2 months ago. So I tried to crank, nope froze. I borrowed an inspection scope and last piston is frozen, two look great, one not too bad the oil made it through. I can still see oil around the top of the bad one and it didn't work through. Been looking at all kind of penetrants and one says this is good another says not. Anybody have suggestions? I've tried trans oil/acetone in the past on stuff which was marginal in results. Looked on line and more people say to use PB Blaster. I saw that Kano thank makes Kroil has something called Exrust. It's expensive, like $32 for 12 oz. Anybody try Exrust? Plan to put a new penetrant in and let it soak a couple of weeks. I would take off the head etc. but I had just purchased this thing and need to get it to my place before anything major. Any experience, suggestions(practical..lol), or ideas I would certainly welcome. Thanks..

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
“I've tried trans oil/acetone in the past on stuff which was marginal in results.”

That’s because you left out the correct ratio of Jet A/Kero/ULSD#1. Big Ed’s Red. Great stuff.

Kroil will work if any thing will. Smells like cancer.

not2bad

“I've tried trans oil/acetone in the past on stuff which was marginal in results.”

That’s because you left out the correct ratio of Jet A/Kero/ULSD#1. Big Ed’s Red. Great stuff.

Kroil will work if any thing will. Smells like cancer.

So what is the ratio and where do I get Jet A at? Can you pass me the secret recipe?...lol If I were to put, say a cup of penetrant down the cylinder, and put around 80# or more air pressure on it for a while hours/day/days/week I wonder if that would help force the penetrant. If there are no air leaks at the hose etc. should be able to tell if the stuff is working through if the pressure drops perhaps?.Your thoughts?

ianjoub

Can you get something solid down the hole you put the camera in? If so, I would turn the crank to get downward pressure on the piston and try a few taps with something to add impact to the equation.

ianjoub

So what is the ratio and where do I get Jet A at? Can you pass me the secret recipe?...lol If I were to put, say a cup of penetrant down the cylinder, and put around 80# or more air pressure on it for a while hours/day/days/week I wonder if that would help force the penetrant. If there are no air leaks at the hose etc. should be able to tell if the stuff is working through if the pressure drops perhaps?.Your thoughts?
Everything will work through the unfrozen parts and bypass where it is truly needed.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Big Ed’s Red.

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant.

not2bad

Everything will work through the unfrozen parts and bypass where it is truly needed.

Just the spark plug hole on the G159 gas engine 580ck. Don't think I can. Going to also pull front pump off to get at the bolt head for the balancer or whatever to get some leverage to work some pressure on it but try not to bend or break anything. No penetrant recipe though?...

Delmer

use the starter hole and pry on the ring gear. If you need it broken loose, remove the valve cover, make sure the stuck one and it's pair both have the valves closed, remove pushrods if needed, rig up an adapter for those two spark plug holes to a grease fitting hose, fill the cylinders with oil and pump the grease guns, something will break free unless it leaks oil slowly, then step up to an airless paint sprayer, if that doesn't break it loose, you're taking the engine apart.

not2bad

use the starter hole and pry on the ring gear. If you need it broken loose, remove the valve cover, make sure the stuck one and it's pair both have the valves closed, remove pushrods if needed, rig up an adapter for those two spark plug holes to a grease fitting hose, fill the cylinders with oil and pump the grease guns, something will break free unless it leaks oil slowly, then step up to an airless paint sprayer, if that doesn't break it loose, you're taking the engine apart.

not2bad

use the starter hole and pry on the ring gear. If you need it broken loose, remove the valve cover, make sure the stuck one and it's pair both have the valves closed, remove push rods if needed, rig up an adapter for those two spark plug holes to a grease fitting hose, fill the cylinders with oil and pump the grease guns, something will break free unless it leaks oil slowly, then step up to an airless paint sprayer, if that doesn't break it loose, you're taking the engine apart.
Tried the starter hole can't budge it but can only get a bit of leverage on it that's why I want to try the front if I can but have to take the pump off first so I can to the bolt try and move the crank from the front. Guess I'll see what happens and go from there. Nothing ever goes easy..

not2bad

Big Ed’s Red.

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant.

Rob Gunn

If the valves are closed you may try this. Make a adaptor to fit your spark plug hole and add a grease fitting to it. Now attach your grease gun and start pumping...

Tyler d4c

If the valves are closed you may try this. Make a adaptor to fit your spark plug hole and add a grease fitting to it. Now attach your grease gun and start pumping...
Sorta like this as long as it's not at the bottom of the stroke can take the valves loose to close then hook a hose from your Farm tractor outlet to the spark plug hole

Jonas302

Hire a rollback to bring it home and pull the engine out I hope you got a good deal on it (;

edgephoto

Kroil works. Not cheap but it works the best of any magical oils. If an engine is seized you are kidding yourself trying to free it up to get it running. You may get it running but it will not be a good engine after it has been rusted up.

not2bad

Kroil works. Not cheap but it works the best of any magical oils. If an engine is seized you are kidding yourself trying to free it up to get it running. You may get it running but it will not be a good engine after it has been rusted up.
Going to try Kroil first and see what happens..Hope it works, but expect nothing and your never disappointed..