• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is a good online source for hydraulic cylinder seal kits?

Piston

I have a D3B with pretty much all the cylinders needing to be rebuilt. I tried contacting Hercules but they didn't seem to want to give me any information since I wasn't a commercial guy with an account? I thought that was strange as I've seen them mentioned here before.

Does anyone recommend another online source for the seal kits? Thank you.

IMG_6089.jpeg

Piston

Thanks for the suggestions. Both Hercules and Bulldog require accounts. The price per kit for Hercules part # CTC-1327058 was $124 each. The price per kit for Bulldog part # CT-2465917 is $31 each. I need 5 of them.
I went through the process of applying for an account through Bulldog to save $465.

Thank you for the suggestions OzDozer and Dave Neubert. I owe you a coffee :)

Piston

I'd be double checking what comes in the kits. $31 seems way too cheap for all the seals a cylinder requires. Maybe it's a kit for just the gland nut or piston but not both.
I share your concern. Although I did confirm with the sales rep via email, that everything I need to completely rebuild my cylinder is included in each kit, I am still a bit skeptical.

It’s already on the FedEx truck so I’ll see when it arrives in a few days.

.RC.

I'd be double checking what comes in the kits. $31 seems way too cheap for all the seals a cylinder requires. Maybe it's a kit for just the gland nut or piston but not both.
Or people are used to paying exorbitant prices. Looking on AliExpress and hydraulic seals are only a couple of dollars for bigger ones.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Quality comes into play. I wouldn't trust really cheap seals out of China. Changing seals in cylinders is a messy kind of PIA job. You don't want to have to be doing them more often than necessary.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Keep us posted as to the quality of the kits upon inspection, and more importantly the results after the kits are installed and have some time on them. Chinese parts ( if that is indeed what these seals are) don't scare me like they used to, in today's markets it seems more and more things are being made in China. They come to this country (America) and are sold out of a warehouse some where in country and many believe they are buying American made because it ships from an American address, deceptive marketing I know...but we are being forced into buying Chinese made products like it or not. However, some of the material is junk but, some of the material seems to be of a acceptable quality. it's a crap shoot.

Piston

Quality comes into play. I wouldn't trust really cheap seals out of China. Changing seals in cylinders is a messy kind of PIA job. You don't want to have to be doing them more often than necessary.
100% guaranteed that CAT OEM seals are light years ahead of these aftermarket seal kits. If I was using this 1983 Cat D3B in everyday commercial work, then certainly I not only would purchase the best quality, but also have it professionally done vs. DIY.
However, for a $4,000 dozer, the Chinese seals will be just fine :)

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
100% guaranteed that CAT OEM seals are light years ahead of these aftermarket seal kits. If I was using this 1983 Cat D3B in everyday commercial work, then certainly I not only would purchase the best quality, but also have it professionally done vs. DIY.
However, for a $4,000 dozer, the Chinese seals will be just fine :)
CAT is now building some of their machines in China, do you suppose they are shipping the parts INTO China? Doubtful, maybe some things but my guess, and it is a guess.... is anything they can get in that country, they do. Just a little food for thought. I know it's a labor thing but it' seems the norm for corporations in today's world. I believe it's being called corporate greed.
It would be great if we could buy everything made in our home countries but the truth is more and more things are being manufactured in the world where the labor is cheap. Leaves a little more room for 'value added' to the products I suppose.

Piston

CAT is now building some of their machines in China, do you suppose they are shipping the parts INTO China? Doubtful, maybe some things but my guess, and it is a guess.... is anything they can get in that country, they do. Just a little food for thought. I know it's a labor thing but it' seems the norm for corporations in today's world. I believe it's being called corporate greed.
It would be great if we could buy everything made in our home countries but the truth is more and more things are being manufactured in the world where the labor is cheap. Leaves a little more room for 'value added' to the products I suppose.
I absolutely agree with what your saying, and I don't even know if the seals I ordered were manufactured in China, and it doesn't bother me if they were. All things being equal, CAT parts made in China would almost certainly still be of considerably greater quality. Large companies like CAT have much better standards and oversight on quality control.

Welder Dave

Call

I use bulldog all the time kits are complete and good quality
A lot of people have been very happy with Bulldog seals. I wasn't suggesting they are from China either. I was referring to seals that are an exceptionally low priced. I was questioning if all the seals necessary come in the kit. Bulldog and Hercules are both good seals so it seems something is amiss when Bulldog are about a 5th the cost of Hercules. On a D3B even if used commercially there's no reason to pay the premium price for Cat seals. A big excavator maybe but a lot of hyd. cylinder rebuilding shops don't use OEM seals yet give the same warranty as OEM.

Check Break

Not that long ago, the company did business as Hercules-Bulldog. Apparently Bulldog is now a standalone own brand. I don't see Hercules distinguishing itself with the Made in USA label now, so maybe that's come to an end. Hercules-Bulldog seals were once made in USA and the same quality as OEM. There's a reason Bulldog is now a separate brand, likely related to quality and country of origin and similar to the difference between Caterpillar and Yellowmark. We all make different choices, but that's a little bit of history if anyone is interested.

Welder Dave

I remember someone mentioned Bulldog and Hercules are the same. A falling out maybe? I think I'd stay with Hercules but will see how the OP makes out.

hernico

Hi everyone, I work in a company where we resell all Hercules and Bulldog products. I can say that both are pretty much the same. We have never had a problem with Bulldogs.

I do quality control, such as hardness and dimensions. However, I don't have any data for performance.

pumkinhead

Diploma PLC is the parent company of Hercules and once also owned Bulldog which is now owned by ITR i believe

AllDodge

Not positive but think I got all my seals for D3 was from tornado parts. Basically found the Cat part number and search on it. Private light use only for me