• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What have you found while digging?

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
At least they didn't pass the credit to someone else. That would be absolutely infuriating.

Did anything come of your discovery besides the mention. As in, was there a reward or anything?

I was working for the scientists(PRI) off and on from April to September 2000 only for doing logistical work with my backhoe,NEVER for finding bones,all app. 5' of excavation was literally done by hand--not even a trowel was used.Come late Sep.,the skull wasn't in the "bone zone" and they needed to wrap it up so then they gave me the green light to dig for it.I simply was on the clock with my normal hourly rate.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I just get to watch what my customers dig up. The worst was at an old reserch facility in Austin. The operator told me he had been digging up old bottles all day. One of them had rolled from the teeth to the back of the bucket and broke. It started smoking and the operator bailed. I came out a few days later and the inside of the bucket was till etched where it had broken. Don't know what all was in that place but I sure was glad to get my tractors out of there! Don't know if it was the site or what but me and one of the truck drivers were down for a week after working in there.

D&GExcavating

I just get to watch what my customers dig up. The worst was at an old reserch facility in Austin. The operator told me he had been digging up old bottles all day. One of them had rolled from the teeth to the back of the bucket and broke. It started smoking and the operator bailed. I came out a few days later and the inside of the bucket was till etched where it had broken. Don't know what all was in that place but I sure was glad to get my tractors out of there! Don't know if it was the site or what but me and one of the truck drivers were down for a week after working in there.

Wow, that would be kinda interesting

KG6BWS

Been lurking here for a while, and this thread caught my eye.

Havent dug anything real remarkable up myself. Normal stuff...horseshoes, an old grease gun once, fossil sea shells. I was on a job however near Paso Robles (same one with the fossil seashells) where our hoe dug up an old indian burial site. I was down on a loader keeping the spoil pile contained when the trucks would dump. Had an archaeologist with me watching the spoils for artifacts as Id push them around. First indication was when a human jawbone slid out of the truck. Never got any details on it, but the arch's guesstimated it at around 3k to 4k years old.

Another job I was on out in the Mojave desert, we were putting in a sewer main, part of which crossed the Mojave River. One day the archaeologist showed up with pictures to show us. Turned out that the contractor doing another phase of the line had been digging right alongside the river and dug up an old saddle with a Winchester rifle still in the scabbard. About 50' away they found a pair of boots, a pistol rig with pistol and some round still in the loops and the saddle bags, which were empty.

I still have 2 fossil seashells my dad dug up and kept for me. He was working in Laguna Beach, I was only about 2 or 3 years old, running an excavator. I guess the paleontologist they had on site wanted to keep them but he managed to hide these two in his truck.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Another job I was on out in the Mojave desert, we were putting in a sewer main, part of which crossed the Mojave River. One day the archaeologist showed up with pictures to show us. Turned out that the contractor doing another phase of the line had been digging right alongside the river and dug up an old saddle with a Winchester rifle still in the scabbard. About 50' away they found a pair of boots, a pistol rig with pistol and some round still in the loops and the saddle bags, which were empty.

May have been a shoot out from the wild west days. Now days I think they call it a crime scene. haha

Last edited by a moderator:

FNick

That's a cool story! That must have been scary to see that human skull!! I'm a scardey cat though and I would have stopped after the leg bone LOL

Reel hip

Occupation
That's a cool story! That must have been scary to see that human skull!! I'm a scardey cat though and I would have stopped after the leg bone LOL
At the time we didn't know it was human. We were told the area was a dump and the bone was most likely a horse. Didn't quite look like a horse leg but whacha gunna do? Your digging by the hour and you are told to keep digging. After the skull was found all things changed really quickly.

BobcatKW

Cool thread. While auguring 24" holes , two bottles came up in perfect condition, the labels said "Bumsteads Worm Syrup, adults like it, children cry for it" The boss was on scene and got both of them. I also have about 200 marbles ,still adding to that collection.

surfer-joe

Too much stuff to remember really. Arrowheads, gas and electric lines and bottles in central Michigan. Arrowheads and lots of petrified wood plus other Indian artifacts in Wyoming. Rattlesnakes (live) in Texas and Wyoming. Skunks, gold, and the Cheyenne Mountain to Wyoming and Nebraska missile silo communication cable in northwest Denver area. Lots of old stuff including wooden pipelines, Tritium, and radioactive items in western Colorado. Gravesites in Kentucky and in Vietnam near Danang. Also in Vietnam, all kinds of old American and French munitions and explosives, old French bunkers, and the bodies of about ten thousand people the Vietcong and NVA murdered in Tet-1968 and semi-buried near Hue. Bad, bad job, very smelly! All kinds of old tires, junk cars, bones, scrap iron and such from the San Antonio riverbed on the south end of town. Lots of old stuff from slag heaps and overburden at the Kennecott copper mine near Salt Lake City. Small amounts of silver ore and copper from slag heaps at old mines near Hancock, Michigan. Amethyst from a mine north of Lake Superior, Ontario. All kinds of nuts and bolts from oilfield locations, including tools and production equipment. Then there was the busted and bent drillstem, bits, and ANFO in the coal mines in eastern Kentucky. Touchy that. At a new side wall mine (Kentucky), drilled into an old underground mine and found that the old mining equipment, cars, harnesses, and track were still in place as was the primitive electrical lights they used back in the 30’s and forties. All kinds of castoff or abandoned mining and excavation or maintenance stuff at the site of the old oilshale mine near Parachute, Colorado. There’s a lot more that I’ve forgotten.

Reel hip

Occupation
Surfer-joe: Wow! Man you have done a lot of digging all over the world. Was all this digging from being in the military? I'm sure the Vietnam was. Sad story for sure. I haven't met anyone that has dug in so many different parts.

Occupation
Parts supplier
I read it just fine too and it was a cool story so take it easy on these people. Were all here for one reason, "we love dirt".