• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What happens when you don't grease?

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
:drinkupAtco my hats of to you! That was one nice, tidy and professional Job!

I have used those drills for other unusual jobs, but would'nt have thought of it for that!

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
My dad taught me that trick years ago. I have done it with just stuck bolts you are worried about breaking off. Drill on the center with a bit, and relieve some of the tension, and they will back right out.

One of the handiest items in the shop is a full set of left hand drill bits. When you strip the had of a screw or bolt, you can drill it with a small bit, and then step up to a larger bit. It will bite, and back the screw or bolt out.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have used those drills for other unusual jobs, but would'nt have thought of it for that!

Well brother, that was the whole point of this thread, not the Green Paint. :D (dang...even the "grin smiley" is green...lol) I think I can say for certain that all of us wrench benders have a trick to perform some kind of task that we frequently encounter. I will always attempt to share some little trick I've learned and hope others will teach me something along the way as well. :drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I finally got back to the repairs the other day. I had my machinest repair that egg shaped hole in the motor housing by placing the housing in his end mill, boring the hole oversize, then make a steel bushing with his lathe to fit into oversize hole. Bevel edges, place steel bushing in hole, and TIG weld it in place. Then mill the outer surface where the brass bearing plate goes. Ole' boy did some nice work.

inner side showing weld of steel bushing

80HX bushing replacement 004.jpg

outer side where brass bearing plate resides

80HX bushing replacement 005.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Now, one of my favorite tools. Time to install new steering pivot bushings. Perfect job for the Enerpac hollow ram cylinder. A piece of 1 1/4" threaded rod, a few bearing cones for pressing tools, and press the bushings in place.

set up and ready to press

80HX bushing replacement 001.jpg

pressing in

80HX bushing replacement 002.jpg

bushing pressed home

80HX bushing replacement 003.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
All finished up and ready to go. Almost forgot, that long bolt is for the steering cylinder. The bolt had come loose and the back and forth action wallered the threads in the hole somthing fierce. Machinest did the same trick as with pin pivot hole. Bored the hole out with his mill. Made a steel bushing with 1" coarse threads, set bushing in hole and welded it in. I'm pretty happy with his work.

80HX bushing replacement 006.jpg

Dualie

Hey Dualie, I'd like to try one of those things, don't know much about them. I've had to deal with a number of stuck pins through the years. How deep can they punch a hole? How would they react to the grease in the grease hole in the center of the pin? :)

Thermal lance doesn't care what you put in front of it. It will even cut granite and concrete.

The grease will probably help get the pin out because the heat from the lance will soften and melt the grease and keep you from veering off coarse.

Its probably the most violent and nasty tool known to man for removing metal but its a damn handy piece of kit and defiantly has its place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHK4-XVT1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4r7OKkXmU

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thermal lance doesn't care what you put in front of it. It will even cut granite and concrete.

The grease will probably help get the pin out because the heat from the lance will soften and melt the grease and keep you from veering off coarse.

Its probably the most violent and nasty tool known to man for removing metal but its a damn handy piece of kit and defiantly has its place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHK4-XVT1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4r7OKkXmU

Wow that is pretty crazy! And I thought a gouger was a fire flinger. ;)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Damn it man... get a move on.

Good machine shop just down the road too... about 6 miles.

Owned by ranchers/farmers... the even have a gear hob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_hobs

OCR... :)

That's cool! I've been in 26 of the States, but haven't been to Big Sky Country. First, though, I have to take some beer to North Carolina and eat Red Bank's steaks. Then I must make a trip to Long Island and lounge at Speedpup's Bed & Breakfast. Then...Montana is calling. ;)

MrKomatsu

greaseworms.........

that machine work looks sweet.............nice going....:usa

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
What happens when you don't grease? and wish you'd chosen different words in post.

Good machine shop just down the road too... about 6 miles.

Owned by ranchers/farmers... the even have a gear hob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_hobs

OCR... :)
I have a tendency to dwell on certain things. And I'm sure that doesn't make me unique in any way, to other members on HEF, or for that matter, people in general.

Some times a person will dwell on something that was said to them, which at the time, didn't seem significant, and probably even wasn't. Then they start thinking about it and become angry or resentful, or it could be the opposite, they become happy or pleased.

Sometimes, it's something they said, start dwelling, and become sorry, or perhaps a little embarrassed or ashamed... the message might not have conveyed exactly what was intended, or sound right, due to simply how it was worded.

After all of that, I'll get to the point.

Even though that was actually intended as an invitation, and, it's used around here as such... I don't like the way it looks, or "sounds" when I read it.

ATCOEQUIP, my friend, I think I could have used a better choich of words... :eek:

OCR

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
WOW, my hat is off to you. Great thread, great pics.

I post these type of threads to show owners of machines different ways to perform repairs. I'm kinda hoping that other wrenches will post threads showing "how to" repairs, I'm always interested in learning new ways of doing things. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have a tendency to dwell on certain things. And I'm sure that doesn't make me unique in any way, to other members on HEF, or for that matter, people in general.

Some times a person will dwell on something that was said to them, which at the time, didn't seem significant, and probably even wasn't. Then they start thinking about it and become angry or resentful, or it could be the opposite, they become happy or pleased.

Sometimes, it's something they said, start dwelling, and become sorry, or perhaps a little embarrassed or ashamed... the message might not have conveyed exactly what was intended, or sound right, due to simply how it was worded.

After all of that, I'll get to the point.

Even though that was actually intended as an invitation, and, it's used around here as such... I don't like the way it looks, or "sounds" when I read it.

ATCOEQUIP, my friend, I think I could have used a better choich of words... :eek:

OCR

Relax, bro, I didn't take it the wrong way. ;) Actually took it with a smile. And yes...I wish I could get a move on, just ain't in a position to do it at the moment. But I refuse to let go of my dreams. :D