• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What do you think is the most exciting development in construction technology right now?

henry.45

In my opinion, one of the most exciting developments in construction technology right now is the use of 3D printing. What are your views on it?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
My Alma mater sent out their glossy quarterly publication, trying to get me to donate to their foundation, of course. But, the cover story was about 3D printing house walls with cellulose.

Which was interesting to me, because just yesterday, we were worried about formaldehyde off-gassing in building materials and related health issues. Can’t imagine the off-gassing of the secret sauce in a squirted out wall.

henry.45

Ha! So John's Wheatland Bakery has clone-making machines for cookies, huh? Who knew mass production could taste so good!

henry.45

Autonomous machines will revolutionize construction technology by increasing efficiency and reducing labor costs. Imagine self-driving excavators, cranes, and bulldozers working together to build faster and safer.

chidog

Autonomous machines will revolutionize construction technology by increasing efficiency and reducing labor costs. Imagine self-driving excavators, cranes, and bulldozers working together to build faster and safer.
Yeah why not then any idiot can be a heavy equipment operator, just like in the metal machining industry.

Problem is I can't see any sort of autonomous machine doing land clearing. Just one wayward vine maple knocking out a few of the sensors and the dozer is heading for some ones house or over a cliff.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yeah why not then any idiot can be a heavy equipment operator, just like in the metal machining industry.

Problem is I can't see any sort of autonomous machine doing land clearing. Just one wayward vine maple knocking out a few of the sensors and the dozer is heading for some ones house or over a cliff.

I wouldn't bet against autonomous machines - even in land clearing.

Autonomous machines. They will be here sooner rather than later.

There is an excavation company in Florida that is running 3 6x6 haul trucks and 1 excavator operated by 3 remote operators. This is a residential development not a mine.

The operators back the truck in to the excavator switch over and load the truck then drive the truck out of the loading area. The haul route is autonomous until it's time to dump and they take over the truck controls.

3 operators siting in an office trailer running 4 pieces of equipment. In the not to distant future companies will be hiring operators from all over the country and the world. All the metrics can and will be recorded in order to rate an operators performance.

I am not necessarily a cheerleader of all of this I can just see where the industry is heading technology wise whether we like it or not. Things are changing fast.

chidog

Technology is supposed to make our lives easier. Problem is it has done just the opposite.
Things were way better before the digital revolution, even TV's worked better then, and farther back things just seemed safer, life and data wise.

henry.45

It's true that technology should ideally simplify our lives, but sometimes it can have the opposite effect, especially when we're still learning to use it. As for TVs, it's possible that you miss the simplicity of older models. However, it's important to remember that older technologies also had their own set of problems. As for data safety, it's true that digital data can be vulnerable, but there are also many measures in place to protect it. It's all about finding the right balance and using technology in a way that benefits us.