• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What do you like to run?

cat320

Charter Member
I like running my backhoe but have alot of fun with the skid stere but I would like to run and excavator loots of fun to run those compared to a backhoe.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Old machines, but I got so good at driving them that I could do stuff with them that most people would want to just give up and use an excavator or something.

I was looking at a sloppy site the other day and it occured to me that these days I'd say it needed to be done with an excavator, but 25 years ago I'd have just gotten on the backhoe (2wd too) and done what needed to be done.

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
My personal vote is for backhoes, with a small dozer in a close second.

Spent summers working myself thru school on equipment in the mid 70's. Started on a Bobcat, and quickly moved to a Wabco scraper - with toggle switch steering, and a Scoopmobile. The story of nearly killing myself on that old scraper is fodder for another time. Even got a chance to try on a cable operated Cat dozer and a roadgrader - quite thrilling for a 18 year old kid. Only instruction I got on any of it was "Treat it like a woman, beat on it!". Lookimg back on it, it wasn't much for advice, and I learned by the seat of my pants.

Now that I've retired from the Army, I'm enjoying a return to operating. Worked for a bit with a JD 310SE backhoe, a JD loader and a small JD 6 way dozer. Got pretty good with the thumb on the hoe - as we spent most of our time clearing mountain home sites. Got good thrills out of sidesloping the dozer, felling trees, and them sorting logs with the hoe.

Starting my own business, looking at buying a JD 110 TLB, and working small jobs by myself. I rent other equipment, as necessary, so I'm getting a bit of experience with small excavators and such. Think for my application, the little backhoe, with a few attachments will be right for the majority of jobs I do. Don't want to go too big, after all, I'm supposed to be retired. Trouble is, at 51, I'm not ready to kick back and let the youngsters have all the fun.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
I have to say it's a toss up between an excavator and a dozer.
Doing finish work tends to get a little tedious at times, but clearing land and roughing in a job are alot of fun for me. I also enjoy driving my tandem dump.

slagpot

This is a very simple question you ask.My answer is too simple.....a friggin P&H 4100 mining shovel!!!!!!!

Tell me this wouldn't be the coolest job to go to everyday. A 4100 operator is most likely a stressful job...but hey it would be worth every second.

Patrick

Wolf

Excavator and Bobcat (although a little bouncy). Love doing demo with the excavator and cleanup with Bobcat. CAT 973L is a blast too.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'll take an excavator any day, any size. I really like 15 and 20 ton machines, but a 12 ton handles the addiction just fine. Backhoes don't bother me, dozers are alright, loaders are a bit boring, skid steer doesn't bother me, CTL/MTL's are fun as hell. Never run a scraper, grader, or an articulated truck but would love to give it a go someday.

RentalMan

Steve Frazier said:
I think what I enjoy running the most are wheel loaders with the single stick control. Other than climbing in and out, they aren't too tough on the body and the newer ones are so much quieter now with modern conveniences.
I'd have to say the same as Steve. Most of my time in the seat is spent on moving snow and a wheel loader moves a lot of snow fast.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
excavator... baling dirt as fast as I can, loading trucks. It's what I've always wanted to do, and some day I'll get to, it's just a matter of when, and how big a machine:yup :thumbsup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Loaders...I like Loaders

But I always had a desire to run a grader. I really admire those old guys who built millions of miles of roads in this country with nothing more than a few pegs. No air con..rough as guts machines, no lasers or GPS...those guys where artists in a grader.

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I am the only one to admit i enjoy running scrapers. I really like the new caterpillar 627G models. Scrapers are what i am best at so i guess i enjoy them the most although i am getting more seat time in blades and i do enjoy the challenges they offer....

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
As long as it has tracks I don't care but excavators if I have to pick one.