• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What do you do if you drop a small tool into the area around the winch drum?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have found enough odds and ends tools in Refers belly pans, old truck and tractor hidey holes to stock a house box for the little woman to destroy stuff with. Even found a 2 D Cell Maglight in the flywheel housing of a Mercedes engine in a Carrier Transicold unit, was not destroyed where sent it in for refurb, got a new one back FREE. Owner Operator thought engine was knocking, light was just moving around.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I ran cheap tools, working in the elements can be hard on stuff, kept the good ones in the shop.
Set of cheap china wrenches, need to bend one or loose one, can replace the whole set for less money then buying a single snapon.

Honestly, are you going to spend a couple of hours dropping the belly pan on a D8 to rescue a 9/16 wrench or just go to the store and spend $13 bucks for a new one.

I dropped a 9/16" wrench in the frame rail of a Wabco scraper once while replacing a generator and could not retrieve it. Two years later I got to pull the transmission for a rebuild and remembered the wrench, with the trans out I could reach right in and grab it.
Got it back just in time to replace it's replacement that I lost. :oops:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Lol. thanks for the entertaining answers. I guess i can make my models a little more realistic by taking a drill to the bottom of the model? I do

Not also to mention the fact that unwinding the "rope" on the model a lot of times causing the rope to jump off the pulleys....lolll..

Belts use pulleys. Cranes use sheaves. :D:D:p:p

Tugger2

The only bonus you got if you were the first one into the bilge of a dozer boat on an engine change was a few decent tools. Still didnt make up for the blackness.
As for hiding things inside frames ect,we used to have a bucket of balls from a big rotec off a burnt grapple yarder . As devious shop guys we would throw a couple inside things we built out of hollow structural tubing. A push off frame for a 980 to dump logs was one that got the WTF was that .

wornout wrench

The only bonus you got if you were the first one into the bilge of a dozer boat on an engine change was a few decent tools. Still didnt make up for the blackness.
As for hiding things inside frames ect,we used to have a bucket of balls from a big rotec off a burnt grapple yarder . As devious shop guys we would throw a couple inside things we built out of hollow structural tubing. A push off frame for a 980 to dump logs was one that got the WTF was that .
I don't care what anyone says, that is funny.

Note to self, never get together with Tugger, we would make a bad team:D

wildpig1234

Here's my cranes. A tadano atf400 and liebherr hs 855. a bolt has been dropped accidentally into the winch area by a worker. unfortunately the bolt is made of brass so that worker will now have to go down into there to get it as a magnet fishing line wont pick up a brass bolt....lol...

DSCN3479.JPG DSCN3478.JPG DSCN3477.JPG DSCN3476.JPG

Last edited:

wornout wrench

Oh the horror.

Nice job on those models.

So now just imagine, in real life. Me, 5'9", 200+ pounds of solid muscle (errrr, just a little white lie) having to squeeze my largeness down between those 2 drums, twist around a couple of shafts and work on the travel down drive on a mechanical machine.

I'm referring to a Madill 044. Google one and look at the images.

Just imagine me stuffed down in that hole for a few days and now you know why I refer to myself as the wornout wrench.

Hey Donkey Doctor, if your out there care to confirm;)

wildpig1234

Oh the horror.

Nice job on those models.

So now just imagine, in real life. Me, 5'9", 200+ pounds of solid muscle (errrr, just a little white lie) having to squeeze my largeness down between those 2 drums, twist around a couple of shafts and work on the travel down drive on a mechanical machine.

I'm referring to a Madill 044. Google one and look at the images.

Just imagine me stuffed down in that hole for a few days and now you know why I refer to myself as the wornout wrench.

Hey Donkey Doctor, if your out there care to confirm;)

That Madill is smaller than the HS 855. not much room ;(

Really long tweezers.

lol.. that would translate into a tweezer at least several hundreds lb,,,,