• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what cummins motors are mechanical?

Soodude

Hey guys, just as the title says I was wondering what cummins engines were mechanical because right now we have a 87 International tandem dump truck that has a L10 250hp with an 8ll transmission but she has 418k miles in her and she's getting a little tired and when I mean tired when I'm heading up a hill loaded in 8th gear I have to drop to almost 5th by the time I hit the top of the hill. I know where there is a N14 but I can't remember if a N14 was a throttle by wire with a pcm or mechanicl. Guess I'm looking for suggestions what to do.

Thanks guys

KTS77_416C

i know the N-14 we have is mechanical. it has 981k miles on her and has only had 2 injectors put in. nothing else touched in the motor and still running strong! i think all the older year n14s are mechanical but i could be wrong..not my expertise.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Im not saying you cant switch to a N14, but check it out good
make sure you dont have to change radiators
motor mounts, was it in the same kind of truck
are you over powering the running gear?
air filter setup
A/C system
throttle linkage
weight comparison? (for weight on front springs)
is starter on the same side? (it should be)
This can be a night mare!! if you dont do your homework. Im not talking about L10 to N14, Im talking about most any engine changes. I changed a Big Cam cummins to a Big Cam Cummins, Hummm what a mess. It was 1990 Ford LTL9000, engine came out of a 1992 Int. Eagle, what a mess but I gotter done
Good Luck

Soodude

yeah I started doing my homework a bit and I think we will go for a rebuild this winter on the L10 but we will crank the HP up on the fuel pump when we do it with a couple other little additions to help get the hp up.... i know you can get 330 from an L10 pretty easy so that will be our route because after doing my t450 conversion I don't want to do that much work in swapping an engine lol!!!

Sparkie

Anything that's Cummins and is newer than 1990 is probably electronic. That's when they really started going to electronic with the Celect series :)

Soodude

So if I wanted to go to a new ECM motor what would be involved in setting the sucker up? What would I have to remove and what would I have to add and what would it take?

Thanks guys

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
just my guess, But
change accelerator to electronic one
more than likely, none of the guages will work
motor mounts???
radiator?
A/C mounting and hose hookup
Is exhaust going to be the correct size?
air charge??
air filter
Its more than just changing engines
Goodluck

Soodude

Thank you Willis.... I'm going to tackle it I think.... going for a N14 but I have to go and get all the little odds and ends first before I start