• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What brand and WHY?

ror76a

I think the Cat thing has a lot to do with your dealer. Most of my Cat equipment is older, but my dealer will still bend over backwards to get me parts when I need them, even if they are for a 42 year old wheel loader. I am a small operation and most years spend less than $3000 at the Cat dealer. Now when I call for parts for my Hitachi they tell me to buy a newer machine. :Banghead. Around here Komatsu, Hitachi, and Deere are all the same dealer (they have "separate" brances for Deere) and are actually fairly good, but not up to the standards of the Cat dealer. Also I know a lot of Deere guys that have worse attitudes than Cat guys, that can happen with any brand.

I would never buy a Case or Cat backhoe, have tried servreal through the years, but none had the power of a New Holland. I know some people here have horror stories with NH backhoes, but I have always had good luck with them, and very few repairs (we have been running Fords since the early 60s). I would say that the early Cat 300 series excavators (A and B models) were definaly lacking in performance compared to the other machines, but every C series Cat I have been around was equal to or even a little better than the newer Deere, Hitachi, and Komatsus I have been around. Haven't used a D sereies yet. I still don't know why anyone would want an excavator with a Deere engine when they can get the same machine with an Izusu (15,000 trouble free hours with mine, it did get overhauled sometime after that, but it got overheated badly a few times too. :mad:). For loaders I still stick with Cat, I don't know if they still build them as good as they built the old 944, but so far so good, I hear good things about Volvo too. Dozers I would stick with Cat too, the small Deers and Komatsus are nice, but I have always had good luck with my Cats.

BIGBEN2004

Deere diesel engines are actually some of the highest rated engines on the market for performance, longevity, and efficientcy. I consider them as the best Diesel engine manufacture in my opinion.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Cat jerked my dad around all the time with his 416's. The 416's were problem after problem after problem. We'll never go back.

As for a rubber tired hoe in my mind there are only 2 backhoes out their. John Deere and Case. Forget the rest. Im not a big fan of the M series Cases but I wouldnt trade my Super L2 for anything.

Hey Mikef87,
I heard a company over in Marboro set a 345 Cat against a Hitachi 450 for a week. Long story short, they bought the hitachi. Better fuel, better cycle times, better breakout.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I think more in what i need as a owner/operator because it is not about just running it and how great it is ,it is also about having to pay the bills also.

What an operator like for running and operating is his choice,which if he was actually paying the bills he might not chose the one he likes to run all the time ,because dependablitity,service ,and parts availablitiy.

Also if you have a brand and you opt to trade for different brand that is either tuff or easy to do.There is a lot of varables to the why and why not the way i see it.

Everyone needs to change shoes with each other to get a different perspective to why he likes operating this machine, and the owner doesn't like owning that machine.

Always is and always will be two sides to the story,or you can just set on the middle of the fence.

If your fliping your machine over every few thousand hours one brand might look better then the other,but the same machine if you was in it for the long term it might be the worst machine to own,depending if you was the owner.

Just something to think about other then brands and whats nice to operate:beatsme:usa

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
We buy our equipment that way. Reliabilty, quality, and best value. Rubber tire backhoe is the only machine we buy without research. Case or Deere no questions asked.

Anything else we have has been researched and bought because it most likely outspec'd the competitors while still giving us the most for the money. We take parts and service into consideration but with today's day and age a quick trip online and your parts can be shipped to you next day.

Special K

I think regardless of your brand loyalty, SERVICE is the most important factor! If the equipment is getting the production and the service team is there for you, you can't ask for much more. We run a fleet of Komatsu excavators and I don't have too much bad to say.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Special K! :drinkup

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
Dear EZ TRBO, We are a Utility Contractor and we run the following: Hitachi Excavators(smooth,fast,dependable),Case Backhoes (reliable,long lasting),Case Dozer (because it's just what we have),John Deere Track Loader (very reliable, hard working),Morooka Crawler Dumper (what was available-only grey market machine we have ever owned). I demoed Case & Komatsu back in 99 when I bought my first Hitachi & in my opinion the Hitachi was the best of the three. My .02, ZAXIS

WildMan

The company I work for, we have Komatsu and Deere Exc, 3 Cat D6 dozers and Deere 650's for smaller dozers, deere backhoes, as for the excavators I think the Deeres are smoother and not a jerky as the Komatsu's, you can't bet a Cat dozer, but the 650 deere's are a nice finish dozer and a little cheaper. Around here the Komatsu's dont have as good as resale value as the Deere's. And I see some you guys compare Hitachi and John Deere, Deere's are made by Hitachi.

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums WildMan! :drinkup

Joe Lall

Occupation
owner / operator
All Case

We have all Case equip. (580, 550, CX-160). Main reason is parts and service. We have two dealerships within 30mins of our shop. Never had much problem with any of our equipement except for wear and tear items. I like keeping our equipment line the same. Easier when order parts. As far as CAT is concerned....MARKETING...MARKETING...MARKETING. They have done a great job in marketing and positioning their equipment. In acquiring Battlefield Equipment Rentals, they put their equipment out front to all contractors, large or small. Plus everywhere you look, you see the CAT logo and think...Everyone is running CAT. Doesn't make them the best, just good brand recognition.

xalexjx

We run Kobelco's, theyre a great product and we have very little down time with them, We have two sr-115's the newer short tail swing ones, and a sk-160.. With the last sk-115 we had we got 4800 hours out of the first set of tracks which is pretty good for it having a blade. We also used to have a Hitachi ex-120 but it spun a rod bearing at about three years old with 4000 hours or so. Its nice now too because CAT sells alot of after market parts for other brands too.

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums xalexjx! :drinkup

J_Anderson

CASE Equipment

I'm just a small-time guy who uses his equipment around the farm and to do small jobs for others. When I was interested in getting a dozer, I talked with a lot of guys and heard a fairly common theme. CASE equipment may not be as sexy as CAT or DEERE, but it is a really good value. The dealer in my area is a real gem. They will help me with whatever comes up and even recommend ways to save money on repair parts (which are less expensive than CAT or DEERE repair parts in the first place).

I have had a 450C and now have a 650G, a 1150G and a 9010B. I try to buy them right, fix what ever needs to be fixed, use the machine for a bit to do what ever work needs to be done and then sell them.

Anyway, in all fairness, I guess I should say that don't really have that much experience with any particular make of machine. CASE is just all I know.

:my2c

Attachments

• Case 450C 007_320x240.jpg
    Case 450C 007_320x240.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 339
  • Case 450C 019_320x240.jpg
    Case 450C 019_320x240.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 341

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I still love my old Dresser dozers, when you run them the most you get used to them, but I can push more and burn less fuel that a newer D6H and enjoy it better(even though the boss likes the cats the best). Excavators, most of my time is on a CAT and I have always liked it, never any major problems(7000 hours).
Alot of the machines we have were bought because of the long record we have had with different dealers on machines, or location. Kinda hard to buy a CAT skid loader when the nearest dealer is an hour away and the BOBCAT dealer is only 5 mins up the road. Dealer support, parts, and machine function are big keys as to why you buy, $$$ mean alot too. Even after good luck with one machine, when it came time to replace it we looked very hard at all the different companies had to offer.

Trbo

Digwizz

I like Cat because my local dealer's parts dept. is open until midnight during the week days. If I need a part, I can get it late in the evening and be ready to go in the morning in many cases. This works good for a small operation like mine where the owner/operator/mechanic, (must wear many hats), has to get out of the machine, go get the parts, then fix the machine. It also helps when the parts guys out the extra mile. Most dealers would do well to realize this fact. I've bought 3 cat excavators based on a particulars parts mans extra help, (not the salesmans bull).