• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What are you using to haul your heavy equipment?

Steffanyace

For those of you that haul approximately 35,000 lbs (trailer + load) . . . what vehicle are you using to haul the load? Thanks!

td25c

Hi Steffanyace & welcome to the forum.We haul our skidloader ,farm tractors ,Crane cribbing etc with a one ton pickup & tandem gooseneack single wheel trailer .If the load gets much over 10,000 lbs. I usualy load it on our 25 ton loboy & tractor.We got alot of steep narro gravel cow path roads in my area.I dont have a "mid range" truck set up but that sounds like what you are needing.My buddy pulls his d-4 dozer with a "two ton" truck with air brakes & tandem "tag" trailer and gets allong fine.Another option is what I call a " dozer truck".It's a tandem strait truck with a flatbed & beavertail on the back for loading the dozer.They work good as well.There are pics of them on the truck section of the forum but I cant seem to find them.Good luck.

Copenhagen

A guy I worked for pulled his JD 410 backhoe with an F-550. I figured total weight was about 32-34,000.

I think an F-650, 750 or medium duty Peterbilt, Kenworth or International would have done a better job though. Getting going was easy with the 550 but stopping was a little scary.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Mack RD model tractor with 20K Front, 44K rears, E6 400 with a ten speed and deep reduction. Pulling a Witzco 3 axle 50 ton detach gooseneck low boy. Use this for D7's D8's, Cat 215 excavator. When moving small things like D3 and Skidsteer lots of times will put two machines on the big trailer.

Oldiron

I like to pull any trailer with more truck than needed. any thing that has a kingpin goes behind my Peterbilt. lots of brakes, lots of torque, engine brake

huffmanmb

Occupation
IUOE Apprentice Equipment Operator
We run two trucks; 1998 International S/A with a two axle ramp trailer for the small stuff, and I have my 06 Pete Dump Truck with a three axle olympic tilt bed for the bigger hoe and cat.

Daniel Boone

Occupation
Equipemnt Operator
I haul my 580SL with a F-550 and a Gooseneck. I run out at 34,000 CGW. The F-550's GVW is 17,500, the Gooseneck is 20,000 which gives my 37,500lbs to play with. If you go this route, make sure you keep the trailer brake working properly!

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Oldiron you hit it right on the nose. I am the same way. More tractor and more trailer than I need makes me feel safer mainly cause of the idiots on the road.

topdigger

Occupation
excavation buisness owner
I haul my 850 Case dozer or Takeuchi TB 175 excavator behinde IHC tandem axle dump truck with 12T tag Trailer and get along fine. For skid steer and TBO35 excavator haul behind Chevy 3500 4x4 dually with tilt bed double axle single tires

Raildudes dad

I haul my 1950 TD-6 with an 87 Ford LTL9000 and 25 ton beaver tail lowboy. Might be a little overkill but I always was a fan of the mid 80's square fendered Fords:) and I don't think you can ever have too much truck and trailer but you can get yourself in a world of hurt with too little truck and trailer for the load you're hauling:(