• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Are The Best Tools On The Market?

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Im still a bit pissed at Wright. They have one dealer about 60 miles away in a machin shop supply house. I bought a wright ratchet from them and the head stripped in the ratchet mech. They were gonna charge 5 dollars plus instalation and shipping. I think its in a pile i nthe shop some where. I was at the scrap yard last year and a man was there dumping out a few tin buckets of scrap from a shed. I found several iron wood busting wedges that were good quality, a 1/4 inch Wright breaker bar, and a few SK sockets. I have several Craftsman tools.
I had a SNapon man dropping by work when we had a mechanic there, we were a 1/4 mile off the main road and we had tocall him and some times he had a different route. I bought a Blue Point 90 degree ratchet screw driver 25 bucks. It worked good but when the bits wore out I was informedthat they also costed another 25 bucks. I bought some others.
The landfill I work at is near a an import store and surplus store. At times I ll buy a Taiwan tool or China made cheap I may have in a have to have instant otr on that needs a special bend in it. Years ago dad Carquest got some tools called Provalue that were Taiwan but had a lifetime warranty. They are good. I like Kobalt at Lowes but I only buy the US made stuff.
My brother gave me a new Proto ratchet and breaker bar set one year for some work I did him. I love them. I have to have a Case to organize my toos in that way Ill know when one is missing and can find it right then.

Heres my list.
Craftsman, Snap on, Mac, Bahmco, Allen, Proto, Williams, Blackhawk, VG ,Crescent,Williams, Kobalt, Husky and a few more I cant remember.
I also like Whitsworth, Provalue and some Ever craft.
I have been buying some Snapon/williams tools from a machinist supply well below the cost of the snap on man. I also go to swapmeets yardsales and trade sales to. I bought a 5/15 to 3/4 Husky set of end wrenches last month for 10 bucks.
I have an elderly neighbor that used to be in the ewuipment business and they have an old service truck loaded with tool of every size fromtiny to 3 inch williams wrenches and 4to 1 multipilers and such. Ive bought several from him but he wont sell anymore His son is crackhead i figure when the old man dies Ill be able to buy them for scrap.

equipmentguy

What ever tool truck comes to you I like mac. If no tool truck. craftsman or Kobalt are the best bet.own side is they do not have speciality tools

QUOTE=CatManDoes;171489]Lets just say you had $20,000 towards a new, full set of "top of the line" tools (like any of us has $20K set aside for a set of tools, lol), what kind would you buy and why?? All of your feedback is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

heavylift

We have (had) a snap-on guy here .... but he's a real butt head...
I have a little bit of every thing from the itc tools that where sold out of semis, mac , craftsman.
Heck wally mart has the same warranty, but limited selection.

The best place to buy tools ,Yard Sales... some people just don't know tools from toothpicks.. I pick up a 1/4 mac rachet for 4 bucks... they are about 30 -40 ..I think..
pawn shops used to be a good place, but they price their stuff new..

XxTrasHxX

Snap-on are very nice but way over priced unless you but them on ebay,
Caterpillar tools are made buy snap-on and are about 20-30 % less.
Mac tools are a little cheaper then snap same quality.
Grey tools great quality for the money.
Being from Canada as well have very little experience from Matco tools but my uncle down in the states uses them and he swears by them, think there a little cheaper then Snap-on, just remember its not the tool that makes the mechanic
its how the mechanic uses his tools that makes a good mechanic. Me personal I use a mix box of tools , Grey tool box with Snap-on, Signet, Grey, jet, Ingersoll Rand and little of the most used brand in Canada ,Crapy Tire. There wrenches are just as good as any ones ,and the guaranteed for life, no wait for a truck to show up at your yard once a meek just walk into the store and get a new one there old professional series stuff was made buy snap-on at a fraction of the cost you can still find in some stores, The new maximum line is not made from snap-on but is pretty good as well. But If you do have the cash for the ultimate set of Snap-on tools buy a full set at once ask the truck rep for a catalog you will see the box + tool sets in there at a package price the more you buy at once the cheaper it is . One last thing when dealing with snap-on call the local info number and try to get more then one reps info in your area , and try get the package price from more then one rep, tell them you can get it cheaper from a rep in a different area.
They will drop there price, they make there living on a commission on what they sell and cash talks. Also look on ebay you can buy full set of lightly used snap-on equipment for a fraction of the cost.

Hope this Helps

QuickTrax

In the track shop all of our electric impact sockets are Snap on. We use 3/4" and 1" drive sockets from 9/16 to around 2". We only use Snap on because they come to the shop every week on time rain or shine and every week they warranty whatever we need with no questions asked. We usually have three to five sockets a week that they warranty. We have tried other brands of sockets and we have had the best luck with Snap on.
My personal box is full of craftsman because my wife would kick me out of the house if I spent that much money on tools.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I have a complete Craftsman set, as a result of a theft years ago. They have been good. Also have some Husky, Proto, Grey, tools also, all are high quality. I have some 1"drive Westward sockets, good bang for the buck.

I only go to Snap-on for a specialty tool. They are way to expensive.

In Canada we have Mastercraft tools at Canadian Tire, no problem with them either. I've even got a set of Walmart wrenches, I forget the name they use.

I don't think one could point to the best; every brand has something going for it, and most tool boxes turn out to be a blend of the best. Phil:)

diggerdave1958

Craftsman, you can get them at any local Sears or OSH:notworthy

Snap-on, you got to wait for your salesman to come around, and then he don't want to warranty a tool:Banghead

I agree with U about Craftman i have some Snap-on and Mac but now a days when i need a new tool i go Craftmen its easy to get replacements and i don't have to hunt down the Snap-on guy :Banghead

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
For me it HAS to be Snap-On or Knipex for pliers, crimpers etc. Fluke for electronic tools such as IR thermometer, DMM, thermal imager etc CAT for mag base non-contact tacho and deutsch plug wedge removal tool (havn't seen anyone else make it, probably alot more just havn't looked)

sandnsnow

Occupation
adult babysitter
I have alot of snap-on ect, but I also own a set of Kline wrenches. I see alot of there pliers and electrical stuff but I never saw another set of wrenches until about a year ago. I think they are as good as snapon and almost identical in the way they feel. Everyone that uses them really likes them.

Another reason I buy snap on is I always check to see if the whole set is there before I put it back in the box. I never loose a quality tool. ( I have lots of misc craftsman sets) It makes me sick if i cant find that socket i dropped. I bought a set of Cornwell long handle wrenches and what a pile they were. Chrome flaked off the first week. They have plenty of nicks in the jaws from wrenching on them because they are soft metal I guess. My box is a MAC and no complaints there. Chris5500 was on track with those Knipex pliers, those are awesome. Just some quick thoughts.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Who other than Snap-On manufactures 3/8 drive impact (swivel or not) sockets that do not disintegrate from 425 ft. lbs. bolt breakaway torque (yes, from a 3/8 drive impact wrench)? No one?

Essayons

Who other than Snap-On manufactures 3/8 drive impact (swivel or not) sockets that do not disintegrate from 425 ft. lbs. bolt breakaway torque (yes, from a 3/8 drive impact wrench)? No one?

None that I've tried. I can understand where some people feel they are overpriced. They are expensive, but with tools, you really do get what you pay for. I have literally rounded a bolt with a craftsman wrench and removed the bolt with a snap on wrench. I think craftsman makes great middle of the road tools, i have a lot of them, but if i really need something to happen the first time......snap on. I can understand how some people have bad experiences with the snap on dealers because they're all different. Mine is cool, he warrants everything and if i need something after hours i just go to his house.

trouble007

one brand i personally have had a good experience with is Proto which is an upper line of Stanley. they have a lot of good quality tools.

TheClaw

I mostly have Craftsman tools. Though I am a big fan of Snap-On. Like Willie59 said, if its angled make sure its a Snap-On, in my honest opinion.

chevota84

I've got to where I'll only buy snap on ratchets anymore, I've busted my knuckles too many times with cheaper ones. Some of the stuff crosses over, im pretty sure craftsman pro is sk and Stanley is owned by mac but lower quality.

Alot of it has to do with your tool guy, when I was still wrenching the snap on guy was the best to deal with. I had his cell # and he would usually meet me somewhere to fix or replace something if I needed it and as a result I blew alot of $ on snap on stuff so I guess he knew what he was doing lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

trevor b

i have a little bit of every thing best one is a 14" adjustible wrench from craftsman bought for my dad christmas 1967 still good as new tb

crewchief888

i've been wrenching as a "pro" at heavy eq dealerships for over 25 years, most of my working tools are off one of the tool trucks, as are most of my toolboxes, most of pullers & prybars are OTC
air tools are a mix of IR, snap-on, bluepoint & CP
at home i have a lot of overflow/extra truck branded tools, along with
SK
proto
williams
cm
cm pro
duralast
husky
stanley
GP
lisle
HF
air tools were all leftovers/spares from work
electric stuff ranges from
B&D
dewalt
hitachi
ridgid
CM
kawasaki
ryobi

IMHO no one brand of tools is best for everything, or anyone.
3 mechanics can do the same job, 3 different ways, with 3 completely different tools.

:drinkup

stray cat.Inc

Occupation
Farming and Fixing
Snap On is the best, but your 20,000 won't go too far. I've been a Field Mechanic for over 35 yrs. Most of my hand tools are Snap On, OTC is the best for pullers and press equipment, Ingersoll Rand and Snap On for air tools, I do have some Mac. Snap On are slender, fit more awkward places and easy to keep clean and very tough. What you buy depends on a lot of factors, but in my opinion, I'd go with Snap On.