• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What’s The Best Option a SSL or CTL

cjohnsen

I’m looking for some opinions on a SSL vs CTL. My mother is looking to get a new machine for her gardens around the property. She is convinced a SSL would better fit her needs and tare up the ground less. Having operated both types of machines I much prefer the CTL.

The primary use will basically be a motorized wheel barrel for lack of a better name. Just carrying dirt and compost around. She doesn’t want to tare up the lawn, mulched paths and area around the gardens more than necessary. In the future she would like a tiller attachment, excavator attachment, and post hole digger. However like I said the primary concern is taring up the ground as little as possible.

If it was a machine for me I would choose the CTL hands down but I want the machine that best fits her needs. Any insight as to which would be the better machine, a SSL or CTL.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I wouldn't chose either for that application as my first choice.

https://www.wackerneuson.com/us/products/wheel-loaders/articulated-wheel-loaders/model/wl28-7/ oth

Or Bobcat Toolcat would be another decent option.

You can run attachments off of them like a skid steer. But are much easier on the ground, drink almost no fuel, easier to see out of and easy to run.

Next would be a SSL, I get a small one 1500 ROC size and put larger floatation tires on it. I don't think a CTL is a good option for that application.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Agree with KSSS a small wheel loader with turf tires would be the best choice from what you describe.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Definately a compact tractor....my Bobcat weighs 4500lbs, for little yard jobs I borrow the neighbors 3032 Deere compact with a loader.
Dang yard is rough enough, don't need it worse.

Ed