• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What’s Going On At Perkins.?!!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I have been looking for 6 nozzles/tips for a week now..
I finally found a Perkins site on the web that will allow you to “ask our team”..
I plugged in the Perkins p#, along w the Bosch #..
2645F602
0 433 171 044
& hit send.. it wasn’t long after I got a response:: we have 16 in-stock and a price in euros..
I repeatedly asked for a conversion to US dollars and an estimate for delivery to the US..and was emailed a site to convert euros to dollars..
I emailed Perkins back saying I was ready to buy them, all I needed was an invoice to pay.. and an eta for delivery..
THEN I got ghosted.!! No more correspondence..
NOBODY in the states has them, as far as my search’s has found..
Can 1 or 10 of our HEF community in the UK help me, PLEASE..
Call or email their local Perkins dealers and see if they can find me these dam nozzles/tips.!!
Tia.. the pump guy..

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Because you posted this, I went looking around for whoever is my Perkins territory shop at the moment.

Apparently there has been some shake up because none of the "usual suspects" even seem to exist any more.

Instead it is some place I never heard of, when I called the number, it goes to another place that I have done a lot of business with before who didn't even like Perkins all that well...now they are the distributor.

But my guy in that place has just retired, so I don't know anybody there now.

I am pretty tired of these companies swapping all around.

Why did you need it from the UK, was it not something normally found in America?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
It’s an odd one, for sure..
The engine is a 6.354.4 yet no one has the tips..
The 1 guy who called me back said “his contact” said they’re discontinued w no replacement..
When I finally heard back from Perkins UK, they said they checked and there was NONE in the US..
But “they” had 16 in-stock..
I’m now in the process of figuring out how to do a “bank transfer”..
Oh what fun..(not)
& seeing it’s the weekend and a 6hr time difference, things aren’t moving forward very fast.

Questionable wizard

International wire transfers aren't that bad once you've done a few. They're out of our United States comfort zone and local hometown bank branch familiarity. Widely done internationally. You will need to enlist the help of you local bank branch manager. You will need to pay in Euros(that's the destination currency). The destination bank name, Swift number, bank address, bank phone number with contact name, seller account number, routing number, phone number with a contact name. Your branch manager will handle the rest. Exchanging currency thru banks can incur a 10% fee. A lot of times, if the seller will accept a major credit card, or Pay Pal, this process is simple(small purchases). Just remember to call your credit card company and authorize the international payment or it will get declined. After purchasing a scraper from a private individual from Canada, and watching a friend from NZ purchase many pieces of equipment from the US, and ship over, I'm not afraid to do business internationally.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I did a money order once for making a purchase in the US. When she got it, she said the bank wouldn't take it, and it wasn't real money. I contacted the post office, and they said that was the dumbest thing they had ever heard. They said to tell her to take it to the post office. She said the post office didn't give it a second look, and handed her the cash. That was in the days before e mail money transfers though.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Thanks fellas, your making me feel better about the process..
I think I’ll call my cc company on Monday to alert them of the purchase.. that way I’m covered by the cc company if things go bad..
That being said:: What about a duty tax and it coming thru customs.??

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That being said:: What about a duty tax and it coming thru customs.??
If it's anything like the UK it will be dependent on the invoice value. I have no idea what is the US limit but the countries I'm familiar with it's around $300-1,000 (depending on country) to be free of duty. I found an article that states $800 for the US but it would be best to check. https://wise.com/us/import-duty/

I would guess that import paperwork will also depend how the consignment is being shipped. Postal service or a courier such as DHL, Fedex.? Here couriers might potentially have the edge because they will be more familiar with the customs requirements and thus ought to be able to make sure that the necessary paperwork is complete before shipping. One thing that apparently trips people up is the "Country of Origin". This is the country where the items in the consignment were originally manufactured, which may not necessarily be the same country as the one where they were sold.

djordje1

Nige is correct, you should contact Dhl or FedEx they work that stuff every day.
Price may fit in duty-free limit so maybe is best to order parts to you as a private person, not a company, export and import service to company may be more expensive than parts
I will try to find and send you in pm few companies that may have that's parts.

tctractors

thepumpguysc , might I just highlight a few problems and details that we in the U.K. have to work around, but first thing might i remind the fact that CAT bought Perkins Engines in (I think) 1988/9 so they have had long enough to sort out looking after the U.S. market, I will say that the last year + has been a struggle to get parts from the Perkins Group here, but other Non OM supplies seem to be holding out well, a 6354 motor is or has been about the most common engine in this size range across the Globe, with parts made for it on all points of the compass, moving on some to show my struggle with a I.H. TD15C Dozer engine, it's fitted with the DT466 unit with the American Bosch injector pump (Rotary) well anyhow the engine coughed a few times then stopped running, I worked out the pump had failed? it turns out this type of pump in the U.K. is not supported in any injection pump shop after sending it to a few big pump shops and having it sent back with a tag "No Chance", so in the end I had to have it sent to the top end of the U.S. to get a rebuild carried out, all this takes up many weeks lots of them hunting around in the U.K. at the moment the rebuilt pump sits 20 miles from my home in a postal Depot awaiting Duty clearance, so I am nearly sorted but it's been a long 5 months, sometimes the struggle seems to never end. tctractors

Welder Dave

When I ordered an alternator online it required a document with country if origin from the supplier. Thankfully it must have been assembled in the US. I think the duty was $25 but if it originated in another country (like China) the duty was $75 if I recall. The free trade between Can. and the US is kind of a joke.

tctractors

TC.. funny u should say that.. I worked at AMBAC for a handful of years..
(American Bosch)
Is this type of pump still commonly found and supported in the U.S. I will tell you the cost of the rebuilt pump including freight charges is up now around the £2'450 spot, after the Duty is sorted it's going to be an avoid at any cost job for myself, I have been helped greatly by a U.K. based Tractor Importer who has really put effort into helping me out. tctractors

Shimmy1

Sounds kinda like my situation. Drive motor for a Bobcat T770 is made by Rexroth, but only for Bobcat. The seal that separates the brake end from the motor end is non-existent. I mean NONE. Bobcat claims that they're hoping 30 WEEKS. Someone might have their head fitted into that hole pretty soon. We have no idea what to do.

Welder Dave

That's pretty bad Bobcat doesn't have the seal anywhere in their parts network. People are always advised to buy popular name brand machines but nowadays even the name brands can be terrible for parts back up.
I bought a drive motor from Loader Parts Source and I guess I'm lucky it didn't have any issues. The OEM motor is made by Eaton/Char Lynn but in addition to costing at least $800 more would have been up to a year to get. The Eaton distributor said it's just brutal getting some items even if they aren't special one off items. It would have cost $280 to disassemble and inspect the old motor but they said the big majority are toast and would cost even more than a new motor to repair. I had the other side motor replaced previously with an Eaton but it was only $1500 at the time. I figured maybe the other side was due so why waste money tearing it apart. The OEM motor was over $3000. I sure wasn't expecting it to be more than double than what I paid a few years earlier. Sometimes you're stuck though and have no other options. With all the fancy electronics and stuff in new machines it's too bad they couldn't tell you when certain components are getting weak or need preventative msintainance. Some components they do but not all of them. With hyd's. you can change filters and fluid by the book and still have them go bad with little or no notice.

Truck Shop

Anything 25 years and older expect a real tough time. Cummins has pretty much stopped supporting
the old 885 engines except for a few major parts.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Perkins has/had their own dealer network. But Cat would have been on my list to call. They helped me immensely with a starter for some Mitsubishi. It would have taken ages to get from Mitsu corporate but Cat had one in stock under the same part number.