• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wet steering clutches for Komatsu D21

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
I'm in the process of dismantling my D21a-7 because of frozen steering clutches. While I'm at this stage I was wondering if it were possible to convert to wet clutches and brakes for this model?

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I'm in the process of dismantling my D21a-7 because of frozen steering clutches. While I'm at this stage I was wondering if it were possible to convert to wet clutches and brakes for this model?
Its been done , covered among these pages couple of months back .

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
I remember seeing something on the subject but it was not very authoritative. I was hoping someone would have more direct info from Komatsu.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I remember seeing something on the subject but it was not very authoritative. I was hoping someone would have more direct info from Komatsu.
I searched for D21-7 field modification and came up with this ,
[[[I was hoping you had another suggestion. An older cat man suggests I fill the clutch cavity with diesel then try the shock loading. Then drain when loosened, then refill will solvent ro remove diesel.]]]]

[[[Yes, diesel fuel, kerosene, mineral spirits, I've heard of others fill the steering clutch housing with these with mixed results, it just depends on how stuck the clutch plates and disks are. In any case, it generally takes a good soaking. It's just an inherent problem with these machines with the dry steering clutch housing. Back in the old days there were a number of machines that had dry housing, like the older Allis Chalmers, but they also had manual control, the type of steering clutch levers that made your arms look like Popeye after using them for a long time, and you could put some muscle against the clutch fork to pop stuck clutches loose. When they started using hyd pilot operated clutches, they just don't put enough power on the clutch fork to force things loose. I wish Komatsu had put a warning on the dash of these machines to not let them rest for extended periods, so many owners of these machines encounter this very same problem.

And I would like to thank you very much for the positive rating. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX get those clutches loose without a terrible amount of grief ]]]

https://www.justanswer.com/construc...318-kamatsu-d21-left-steering-clutch-will-not disengage.html

I have done a similar thing to what you want to do with winch brake bands using kero and diesel , both much the same in effect , the fibre thats used will be the key to the issue , more so for for you than with brake bands . My need was for cooling and was drained after use , I can't see any reason why you can't flush your clutches with one or the other before parking up for winter .