• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Western Star Log Trucks

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I can not remember just where this picture was taken.

Here is a off highway load with a highway truck, west of Prince George.

Wonder how many log Carrier lumber left behind.

Hank R

Occupation
A group of 3 Western Stars that Norm Simmons had. First one a 1970, with a 335 Cummins and 13 speed, Prince George B.C.

Late 70's Star in Princeton. Lost my notes on this truck.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Hank R, could you tell me why the loaded truck on the scale has the loader sitting on the load? Could not go down the road like that.

Hank R

Occupation
Very sorry but I do not have the answer to that, I am only guessing here. But the truck does not have the grapple thumb sticking out from the front bumper like all the other hook trucks I have seen I have seen 1 or 2 over the years that hang the grapple behind the cab. BUT it makes no sence to me at all. I also do not know how one could turn any corners unless there was a way to leave the swing valves open.

May be he was picking up the load that fell off earlier...NOT. At least the ends were pointed when he got to the mill.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Hank R, could you tell me why the loaded truck on the scale has the loader sitting on the load? Could not go down the road like that.

Judging by how wide the bunks are and how tall the load is, could that truck be running off-highway? If so, I would doubt that there are any height restrictions, although it might be somewhat top heavy.

Blk prince

Occupation
At the same time as the truck turns,the loader would not swing as swing valve would be close with PTO disengaged. Would that not put a lot of pressure on the boom?

Hank R

Occupation
Yes the highway truck is off highway for Carrier lumber so any thing goes .At one time in our lives I and many other thought that the more you hauled the more money you made... but that is not true it just brakes down faster and break down cost more. The truck is not making any money but you are spending a ton. So I am thinking the owner at this time had not learned that over weight by 30 to 40% is not the way to stay in this business for the long run.

Hank R

Occupation
That is a sharp looking logger for sure. How much weight can you haul with all those wheels? Also how long are the logs?? Looks like you are stretched out pretty good.

Vigilant

Occupation
I recall a post or two in another thread here some time ago about some hair-brained scheme to replace off-highway trucks with Western Star highway trucks. Sounds like something a crap-for-brains bean counter would cook up.

boardbysled

That is a sharp looking logger for sure. How much weight can you haul with all those wheels? Also how long are the logs?? Looks like you are stretched out pretty good.

Usually preferred log lengths in the western Washington/Oregon is either 40' or 32' (with a foot of trim). I believe these are 40's.

He can do 35.5 tons net with 40' logs with this setup in Washington.

Blk prince

Occupation
You would be surprised at how many Western Star Tri-drives are running on Van Island.one company alone has 90 plus in his fleet. Working well in the logging sector,put logs on truck in bush then ask where it goes.

Hank R

Occupation
Here there are about 10 or 12 Western Stars and 20 or so KW's. Freightliner is getting more every year may be 10 that haul into town. Most guys like the front axle on the Stars and Freight shakers, as they never replace king pins and the KW and Pete guys do.

Vigilant

Occupation
I'm surprised to hear that anyone has anything good to say about a freight shaker. In my book, they are the very bottom of the barrel, and I have shared those sentiments with their salesmen who came to call.

Blk prince

Occupation
I will defend theFreightliner,as I have been on the same one since new in 1999. Had an I frame January of 2013,clutch 11yrs old tramns and rears are original. Cab has no squeaks and still very tight. We hav 3 99s 6,2000s and 9 2007s.

ben46a

Freightliners are the only highway trucks to go from $120,000 to 5000$ in 3 years. Cheap. Here in eastern canada, western stars rule the woods with a few paccars and freightliners in the mix too. I often wondered why they're aren't many pictures of western star 6900xd's hauling logs, but I'm guessing the economics these days don't work for new off highway gear.

Vigilant

Occupation
I will defend theFreightliner,as I have been on the same one since new in 1999. Had an I frame January of 2013,clutch 11yrs old tramns and rears are original. Cab has no squeaks and still very tight. We hav 3 99s 6,2000s and 9 2007s.

Glad they're working out for you. Maybe they have some heavier specs than what we see down in the lower 48. I have not seen similar results around here. Also, as Ben implied, their resale around here is horrible, especially those powered by Detroit.