• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Went to look at a gooseneck trailer

Old Doug

I thought he was wrong but it was about 5 miles away so i went to look. He said in the add it was 28 foot long with a 5 foot dovetail . It was 20 with a 5 foot dovetail and it said it was in a wreck. Someone had hit something at speed with the right front corner. That pushed that side of the trailer back. If it was longer i would have been very interested or if it wasnt wrecked at the price he was asking i would have bought it. I have seen several trailer around 3 hours or more from home that i would like to look at but i dont want to go that far look then drive my truck back and get it i guess i am not needing it bad enough yet.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I for the life of me can't figure out why people seem to measure from the coupler to the tail on goosenecks. It seems to be a rising trend to get the trailer into a higher price bracket is all I can figure out. I wouldn't mess around with a wrecked trailer unless it was for scrap price or you needed something off of it.

MG84

I for the life of me can't figure out why people seem to measure from the coupler to the tail on goosenecks. It seems to be a rising trend to get the trailer into a higher price bracket is all I can figure out. I wouldn't mess around with a wrecked trailer unless it was for scrap price or you needed something off of it.
I’m not entirely sure, but I think 5th wheel campers may be measured that way. Could be how people who don’t know any better are coming up with those measurements.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Trying to squeeze every dollar out of something from nothing. They figure they can't ask much for a 20 footer, but if they have a 28 footer they can ask for more, same with RSH's. Hate to say guys, but size does matter :p

Old Doug

The trailer sold the next day. If i had a better pickup i would go out of state and buy some trailers to resale here in Mo. There looks to be some good buys if you dont mind to travel. I think years ago they measured trailers from the hitch back.