• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Went to a crane company auction today

ichudov

A crane company closed down near me and I went to an auction.

Picked up a few things that I really wanted for my crane RT-60S, such as Grove outrigger jack boxes (which I need badly to replace my ripped-up ones), rebuilt outrigger jacks, steer cylinders, and some other components. Maybe enough parts to make a LMI and A2B alarm system.

Also bought a small library of manuals.

Also for $100 I bought a A frame jib that I believe will fit my RT-60S. I also bought one more jib for RT-522 which I will sell, Galion 150 hoist winch, a broken down detroit diesel, etc. Also lots of odds and ends, becketts, headache balls, load blocks, incliding a 40 ton one for Terex T340. A pallet of really decent fabric slings.

Last edited:

ichudov

I know that I have some P&H Manuals. Not sure what, today was a mad dash to take as much as I could. The manuals fit a huge crate with a big pile on top of the crate. Mostly Grove, but some Terex and P&H and American also. Some load charts with eproms etc

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
You have come a long way in a short time on this crane stuff. Before long you might be looking for another. LOL

ichudov

OK, I brought to my warehouse, a A frame jib from TMS150 crane, which looks exactly like a jib that the guy had on RT-60S.

Here is the picture Look at the jib closest to you, the other is for something else:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/jib.jpg

I have two questions, 1) How often practically do you need to use a jib like that and 2) how do you hook up the steel cables?

ichudov

One more question, since I bought a bunch of headache balls: What is the right size of a headache ball for 1/2" line? 200 lbs would work?

td25c

Sounds like you done well at the auction .:thumbsup

200 LB ball is plenty for 1/2 inch cable .

Your jib set up will be similar to what I use on the truck cranes . Don't need it often but nice to have it .

Little bit of a procedure to set it up with unlocking jib from stowed boom position . Then thread main line through & two block it in to position buy extending a boom section and secure pendant cable .

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-Grove-antenna&p=147244&viewfull=1#post147244

Attachments

• Grove Jib 001.jpg
    Grove Jib 001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 231

Knepptune

One more question, since I bought a bunch of headache balls: What is the right size of a headache ball for 1/2" line? 200 lbs would work?

I'd say a 150lb ball would be more then enough for 1/2 cable.

You didnt happen to get s 300lb headache ball did you?

crane operator

The size of headache ball is determined by how much total boom and jib you have, calculated with the weight of the cable. The ball must be heavy enough that if you are boomed straight up, with all the boom out, and the ball raised to the top, it must weigh more than the cable on the back side of the boom. It has to pull the cable to the other side.

Example : 35 ton crane 3/4 cable, 136' boom, cable at 1lb/ft.( for easy figuring) Cable on the back side of the boom with the boom all the way up, weighs 136 lbs. Your ball must weigh more than that, or if you raise the ball to the top, the cable on the back side will actually pull the ball to the top, on the other side.

I run a 25 ton with 126' of boom with 5/8" cable with only a 85lb ball. If it was real cold out, with all the boom, and you are too fast on cable down,(pulley drag in cold weather) you could backlash the winch. A heavier ball helps in that case. If you're smooth its never a problem.

I think your crane is only 70-80' of boom? in that case with 1/2" you're plenty heavy enough.

ichudov

Thanks, guys, for the clarity with the headache ball. Also special thanks to td25c for the boom jib setup picture. I do not have those arms that the jib cables hook up to, may need to make them or something,.

td25c

I do not have those arms that the jib cables hook up to,

You may not need them . My truck rigs all have the folding jib arm / bracket arrangement to secure the pendant line to .

little digging this evening came up with a decent picture of a Grove RT 58 jib set up . Looks like the pendant lines tie in to the top of the boom head with possibly shackles or some pin arrangement . Cant tell from the photo .

Attachments

• RT 58 jib 1 001.jpg
    RT 58 jib 1 001.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 171
  • RT 58 jib 2 001.jpg
    RT 58 jib 2 001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 168

Knepptune

I second what crane operator said. Only thing I will add is that the heavier the headache balk is the easier it is to keep the ball from swinging. Our t230 has 5/8 cable with a 250 lb ball. It's very smooth and you can fly with that crane. The tms300 has 3/4 cable with a 150lb ball and if your setting trusses with the full 140' boom out its hard to keep that ball from getting a good swing. I put a 300lb ball from another crane on it for one job and it was a completely different crane. The 150lb is fine unless your really making the old girl sing.

ichudov

ok, good point, I will keep a 200-300 lb ball. I normally lift heavy stuff, but low, with a fully reeved hook, but recently I put some chimneys in a crematorium and a single line with headache ball would work out great.

niel grower

A crane company closed down near me and I went to an auction.

Picked up a few things that I really wanted for my crane RT-60S, such as Grove outrigger jack boxes (which I need badly to replace my ripped-up ones), rebuilt outrigger jacks, steer cylinders, and some other components. Maybe enough parts to make a LMI and A2B alarm system.

Also bought a small library of manuals.

Also for $100 I bought a A frame jib that I believe will fit my RT-60S. I also bought one more jib for RT-522 which I will sell, Galion 150 hoist winch, a broken down detroit diesel, etc. Also lots of odds and ends, becketts, headache balls, load blocks, incliding a 40 ton one for Terex T340. A pallet of really decent fabric slings.
I was wondering if you ended up with manuals for a Grove RT740. I'd love to get my hands on a set.

crane operator

I was wondering if you ended up with manuals for a Grove RT740. I'd love to get my hands on a set.

About what year is your 740? There are manuals on ebay quite often for those, but you need to know what year span/ type yours is. There are two different 740's by grove, the older ones and the B series.

Natman

Good info on the weight of headache balls, and the why for! My National 30 ton, 9/16" rope, uses a 150 pounder.