• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Well this sucks!

Welder Dave

My 2015 F150 with a 2.7 died and after a few attempts started back up and had no problems for a couple weeks. Yesterday it died and after letting it sit and trying multiple times it started. I drove it home and stopped to pick up some food and it died again. This time it wouldn't start. Had AMA so got it towed to the nearest Ford dealer. Needs a fuel pump which will run about $1600.00cad. to have installed. Damn! Truck only has about 130,000kms.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I just changed out a block heater on my Chev., 3500 HD 2015 with only 42000km. Pain to change and engineered to fail. Sorry for your troubles, but they are built to need repairs today. The newer it is the worse it is put in there.
Simon C

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Oh’ my goodness. F-One-Fiddy down!
2015’s have a reputation for eating in-tank fuel pumps and fuel pump driver modules. I think the aftermarket has fixed the pump issue by now. I’m surprised it went that long. Hope the dealer treats you right.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Those GM block heaters,... they use thermostat switches on the cord so they only turn on at something like 10F. It’s usually the cord that fails. Of, course. Can’t just replace the cord, but you can splice around it.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
My cord had the end cut off 4 years ago by myself as I was not going to wait for minus 18C for the block heater to come on. I just plug in 2 hours before I leave in the morning so the motor is warmed up some. If minus 40C I plug in before bed at 10PM. My block heater itself was burnt open with no continuity. First I thought maybe only a cord , but no way.
They all cost money.
Simon C

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Well, you will buy Fords! Fix Or Repair Daily is the true meaning of their name! I gave up on Fords many years ago - too much of their componentry is designed by bean counters, who need components to fail regularly.

I recall reading an article where the manufacturers have it all calculated as to how long components will last, and how many failures per 1000 units can be expected, even before the model hits the showrooms.

I've got an old Toyota sales brochure from the early 70's that advises the potential buyer, that their 5R (gas) engine has a design life of 300,000 miles. I've never seen anything like that in any Ford brochure.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
At least now you won't have to say a prayer every time before you try and start it.

I can't believe how expensive it is to get vehicle repairs done these days. My F150 needed a pinion seal last week. Cost me about $180 total for parts and I did it myself. I would not doubt it'd have been a $600 bill if I took it to the dealer.

Last edited:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
2015’s have a reputation for eating in-tank fuel pumps and fuel pump driver modules. I think the aftermarket has fixed the pump issue by now. I’m surprised it went that long. Hope the dealer treats you right.
Maybe I should go pick up a spare, I've got a lot more miles than that on mine.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
My father once went to the Buick factory in Flint Michigan 50 years go and he seen an arm hooked up to a gear changer on a car with an air cylinder connected to it. It had a counter hooked up.
He asked our friend Malcolm what the purpose was and he said they need to last a while but not forever or we will not sell cars. It was an eye opener for my father and makes me know with certainty that the new corporate mentality is get it to just past warranty.
Thats how I see it. Most of my vehicles have been Toyotas and they may be changing also but lagging behind the 3 big guys on the North American scene in the way they engineer to fail such as on my truck. ( Chev 3500 )
Feel sorry for people on fixed income.
Simon C

suladas

It is bad. It seems with the newer Ram diesels if you make it past 200km on factory turbo you're lucky, and depending on who you get to do it and the turbo it's like a $5-7k repair. Just insane that they can't design a better actuator to last longer then that.

Welder Dave

70's Toyota's engine's might last 300K but they'd be rusted out before 100K. I had an 87 Ranger that went 400,000kms. It still ran good but was getting tired. Needed a couple heater cores and the ignition pick up in the distributor was all it ever needed. Still had the original starter and alternator. We had a 1980 F150 with a 300 six that went well over 300K kms. and when we sold it it still never burned a drop of oil. I had a 2000 Chev. with a gas guzzling 6 Litre. Around 250,000kms. Lost all heat. Had it flushed and no improvement. Then the heater and fan sounded like they decided to go their seperate ways. Passenger side exhaust manifold cracked which is common on any GM 6L. I have had way better luck with Ford trucks but did have pretty good luck with some mid 70's Dodge trucks.
Current 2015 had a recall on the block heater because it could start a fire. Dealer filled the plug with silicone so it couldn't be used while they waited for the improved cord. It was a bit of a struggle but I got the oil pan and valve cover leaks fixed on warranty. To need a fuel pump sucks but I really like the 2.7 Eco boost engine. Good power and great mileage. Truck is very smooth riding and especially quiet. Aluminum body won't rust is another plus since I plan to keep at least another 5 years hopefully more.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

If original were known to have problems hopefully the replacements are improved. They said 2 year unlimited mileage warranty but hopefully it goes a lot longer than that.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
About the only real complaint I have with my recycled Pepsi can F150 is that Sync 3 system. Pure trash. More than once I've been tempted to drive my fist through the screen.

After about 20 minutes at full volume it will drop the volume level way down on its own. Only way it will come back is if you turn it down to about half. Volume level raises to where it should be at 1/2 volume but if you crank it again it will drop off again in under a minute. If I leave it set at 2/3 volume or less its fine.

About every 2-4 months the whole thing just locks up for anywhere from an afternoon to as much as 4 days. GPS freezes, stereo locks out, no bluetooth connectivity. Just shows the home screen. Even the warning chimes from the dash stop working. Resets don't help or anything.

One day when it pisses me off I'm going to gut the entire sound system and put an aftermarket deck in there.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Yep, all the modern vehicles with high pressure fuel pumps recirculate the fuel constantly to remove the heat buildup caused by pumping the fuel up to high pressure. Never run them out of fuel if you can possibly avoid it.

Welder Dave

I had 3/4 of a tank (132L tank) or better but reading online fuel pumps are an issue. I don't have the big fancy touchscreen in mine or the push button start. I especially like the tailgate step with the flip up handle. When I was having really bad back problems it made getting up and especially climbing down a lot safer. Without it I would have had to sit on the tailgate to get out. I need to go in the box to take the cap off my diesel slip tank. Oddly I wouldn't have ordered a truck with the step but the truck I liked on the lot had it. What I did want was the integrated brake control and back up camera that are great. The back up sensors are great too except they sound when ever the tailgate is down and your backing up.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
My backup sensors are stuck on all winter long. Doesn't matter if the sensors are clear or not. Its pretty much muscle memory at this point shutting the alarm off every time I put it in reverse lol.

joe--h

So around $1200 labor to put that pump in?

And you're going to have them do it?

Must be nice to be a rich farmer........

Joe H

Welder Dave

I don't have a lot choice to put it in. I read the fuel pump and/or the module are pretty pricey. I'm certainly not rich and $1600 is a huge hit since I'm on disability getting a little over $1000/month. I have an MX and oval track but I'm not a farmer.