• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Well...nobody died."

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
When I worked for highway we did have salt that sat in the salt shed for a year you could take a shovel and it bounced off the pile. In some areas the highway dept used to have boxes of rock salt on the side of the residential roads for residents to use and after a year it took some beating at it to get the stuff broken up.

Last edited:

Grader4me

Salt will not work below 10 degrees. If the salt gets moist, and the temp
drops below 10 degrees, I have to bust it up with the loader before I put
it in the spreader trucks. If I don't, the chunks can jamb-up the augers.

Just to add to this a bit. A lot of the problem is that there are no doors(with most) covering the entrances of the salt sheds/domes and the rain blows in. Also a lot of them leak which causes this problem.

Learned something new. I thought salt worked at any temp. Its 64F here so as you can see we don't have to use it much.

Guns N Rotors is right, salt won't work at temps below 10 degrees, but I have seen it work a bit at this temp in the afternoon on a sunny day. Just to give you an example about salt and temperatures...If it takes one load to bare a stretch of road at 32 degrees it would take 2 loads to bare the same stretch at 20 degrees.

Just a question cause I don't know since we only see snow once every 4 years

Probably wouldn't be in your best interest to buy a snowmobile eh?

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Just a question cause I don't know since we only see snow once every 4 years

I have a bad build up of frost inside the chest freezer in the laundry.....will salt help???:rolleyes:

(I think the heat is starting to get to me:( )

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo

Well I could put some tires on it but then it wouldn't really be a snowmobile any more. :wink2

I could take my scaper and salt shaker with me!.

Take the pepper shaker too. Pepper makes food hotter so it should theoretically melt ice too. :bouncegri

Grader4me

Grader4me- No, I don't mind you asking. I'm the senior operator for
Boardman Township Road Dept in Boardman, Ohio. I run every piece of
equipment in the fleet. In the winter, when we have a snow and ice control
call-out, I run the loader. Rank has it's privileges.

The fleet consists of;
Case 721D Wheel loader
two Case 580 Super L backhoes
Case 85XT skid loader
Case 450B dozer
Beast horizontal wood grinder
two Pelican street sweepers
Vactor sewer vac
Case Mo-Trim
GMC bucket truck.

I also own and operate a small excavating company. I will be
retiring from Boardman in 5 years. So, I'll need something to do with
my spare time.

My little fleet;
Cat 303.5C CR
Cat 257B
Ford F-650 dump
Kuaffman 14,000# trailer.

So who do you use to spread the salt/sand, as there are no salt trucks on your list. Is this done by private contractor?

Say what?....No Grader???:)

Sounds like you are getting set up pretty good for when you retire. Sometimes I think that's what I would like to do, but I will probably just go to the lake more, lay on the couch more ,etc. etc..:)

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
Many years ago my boss flopped his end dump like that, he was lucky his went the other way. When he trained me to run his end dump his rule was if you can't get the tractor and trailer in a straight line go find somewhere else to dump. I tell the idiots at the local dump when they pull up beside me to get out of the way when I am hauling demo. You never do know with a end dump whether it go over or not .

Electra_Glide

I tell the idiots at the local dump when they pull up beside me to get out of the way when I am hauling demo. You never do know with a end dump whether it go over or not .
This picture is from largecarmag.com.

I guess the driver was sitting in the cab doing some paperwork when the other guy pulled up beside him and started dumping. He bailed out and was just stepping off the running board when the trailer went over.

Joe

Attachments

• new_roll_over.jpg
    new_roll_over.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 285

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
Keep It Level

If it wasn't a wind gust, th driver let the load pile up in FRONT of the rear tires, then started to drive away in the wrong gear (too high). If a dump trailer tries to jump the hump too quickly with the bed up, T I M B E R!

Those are just my thoughts on those pic's.

OD Load

Occupation
Truck Driver Oversize Loads
with the angle of the truck if the trailer was loaded a little heavey on one side it would let the 5th wheel plate tip forward dropping the left side of the frame and giving it more than enough movement to go over being inline it might not have happen

but you never know