• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Well it finally happened...

Truck Shop

Business owners rely on the ignorance of the employees, it has been that way since the first manufacture
of stone wheels. People go into business to escape that life and figure on working for themselves then
before they know it the business has grown and they start looking at hiring help. Then the process starts
all over again and they are relying on the ignorance of their employees. Because once the taste of money
takes over the attitude changes. Revolving door, just a fact.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Longest ever in one shop was seven years, bounced around in company shops of a large lease company but never settled in as did at the Nuke. Sadly first five years there were so busy I really did not miss being in a shop wrenching for a living, had the habitual necessity work after hours and on off days but not like being inside a shop. Considered at one time going back to the shops within the utility, machines and management had changed enough by then they did not want me back. They were crying for me to come back after I retired as cannot find good help STILL.

BigWrench55

I've been questioned about the amount of jobs I have had. And once nearly got into a fight during a interview because I was accused of not being loyal enough. ( even though I threatened to kick the interviewers ass if he ever talked to me like that again. I was still offered the job. )The fact is.... I am loyal and I give every company 1 year minimum and if I don't like it or see myself achieving anything but filling a position. Then I got to go. Long before I started working companies did everything that they could to keep their best employee. Now the best employee is a liability. He cost to much and can usually get special treatment for being the man that can make it happen when no one else can. So now a days companies treat you like your a dime a dozen. You say no at the wrong time or just simply rub someone the wrong way, your gone. No matter how much it will hurt the company. So I treat every company the same way. It's business and not personal. Just like my problems aren't their problem. Their problems aren't mine. What I am basically rambling about is I hate it when being interviewed and acting like its a crime that I would look out for my own interests rather than the companies. Three times I have worked for someone for several years. Two 5 years and the last 3 years. I can and will be loyal to a company, but my family absolutely comes first. Besides that's the whole reason I put up with this crap for after all. If it were just me I would have been a drifter a long time ago.

Truck Shop

This loyalty horse sh!t that's going around, don't anyone kid themselves about who they are working for-no one in business is going to jeopardize any part of there business
or personal gains for a employee when it comes down to it. When you are not looking, at your most vulnerable-------------under the 22.5's you go. I have seen this time and time again. If there is
a staircase of management several of those keep a wet stone in their pocket. People look at me when I say that like {you don't trust anyone! No I sure as hell don't} I have had the stick inserted
and broken off too many times. If employees could hear the boss on the golf coarse talking to the rest of his business owner buddies about their hired help.

Any employer who uses all the latest lingo like {team player, the company is just one big family, we just appreciate all that you do----Really where's that raise we talked about it wasn't in my last
pay check?

Rule #1-don't fraternize with the boss or management, #2 keep a log of any pertinent conversations with boss or management with time and dates, #3 keep track of your work hours everyday.

It's a jungle and always has been, It's not a bad attitude.

Welder Dave

I worked at one shop that had an awesome foreman. Manager wanted us to work on a holiday at straight time that was near the end of the month and take the holiday on Boxing day instead because technically it isn't a paid holiday. Shop workers and foreman had a private meeting in the lunch room. Foreman was the first one to say he had no problem working the holiday but wanted at least time and half to work, not just switching the holiday to another day. That was the consensus of the group, you want us to work pay the overtime. The manager got bonus' if work was completed before the end of the month and was right pizzed off we wouldn't work for straight time. (foreman said the manager used to brag about his big new house and all the stuff he was doing to it) Time and half was never offered so we all took the Holiday off. That was the best foreman I ever had. He looked out for the employee's. I've had a few other decent foreman/bosses but also a lot that just tell you what you want to hear and could care less about your well being or safety for that matter. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but have been burned too many times.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I must work for a rare breed of employer. When the covid shutdown occurred they asked for volunteers to be laid off. Then when things slowed down even more they had to lay off more people. About 50% were laid off. Who did they keep....the most experienced techs at all our locations. Also, the guys who were laid off got to keep their benefits until the company brought them back. Now we are back to full strength with no loss of employees.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Can’t complain to much about the company I drive for when the auto plants shut down we were all laid off for a couple months but all benefits continued and company paid our health insurance with no back charges after we came back but all communication with dispatch is done via text so I have a written record been burned before