• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Well, I done did it...Amulet Hoeclamp on my NH 675E W/Extend-A-Hoe

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Well, after pondering a hydraulic thumb on my machine, and a grapple on the front bucket, I decided to put the Hoeclamp by Amulet on.

I only saw one manufacturer that offered a hydraulic thumb for this machine with an extend-a-hoe, and didn't like the look or the price. I paid $3120 shipped to a UPS freight terminal which is close to my house. The pallet weighed over #400, and I do not have any equipment to unload at my NJ house. Besides the paperwork, it was a breeze to pick it up from UPS Freight. In fact, by the time the paperwork was done the pallet was in my truck for at least 10 minuets...LOL

The price was certainly more than I wanted to spend, however, I really did not want a fixed thumb, and I would have had to engineer the attachment. Also, the hydraulic model was more once you purchased all the parts to make the hydraulics work.

I purchased the unit from Equipment Land. I called and spoke with Jeff, and we texted each other several times. The hoeclamp is made specifically to each order, so I had to take measurements from my bucket to supply to them. As far as order time, I was quoted 10-12 days to shipping. I waited twice that long, and Jeff informed me that Amulet had increased the timeframes on all orders after mine was ordered...Given the demand for equipment today, I guess that is understandable.

First impressions:

The thing is big and heavy!! At 1 1/4" thick, one can understand how it amasses #400.

Second first impressions, the instructions $uck!. I received a manual that states that you need to look at the additional material supplied. Basically, the manual was made to keep the corporate lawyers happy. Although there was a specific instruction sheet supplied, I felt if could be much better...basically I put it aside and started lining up the parts to make it work. Again, with the technology available to day, they could have done much better!

Final impression. I took the tractor out to give it test, and was truly impressed at its ability and loved the fact that the hoeclamp moves towards the bucket during the grab. I tried it on little rocks, medium rocks, boulders, and even on some rocks that the backhoe couldn't pick up. I also moved some trees that were previously cut down, just to see how it worked. Keep in mind that this was just a ~45 minute test, because I had other projects to do in order to keep the wife happy:D.

As shipped.
20210423_124943.jpg

Attachments

• Hoe clamp20210420.pdf
    200.6 KB · Views: 11

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The install:
I first tried to put the unit on by using a strap come a long...no go...I have no idea what I was thinking...LOL.

I then got out my compact tractor and put one of the forks on and used chain. The come a long helped to lift the tip to balance the unit so I could line up the pin.

The hardest one to line up, and it shocked me, was the last ear on the bucket cylinder. I hooked a chain to the tractor and pulled on it, and it lined right up...without this help, I would have never gotten it!20210423_172826.jpg 20210423_172839.jpg 20210423_175817.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The position that I have the unit set for is grabbing, the hoeclamp also has a digging position. In order to accomplish this a pin is moved to a second position. The hoeclamp also has a stored position, by which you remove the teardrops and bolt the hoeclamp to the boom via the mount that I have not yet welded on, but came with the unit (covered in the instructions in my first post).

Forgot to mention that I had to notch the supports on the bucket (instructions did state that some models may need this done). You can see where I notched in the pic below. I may come back to this and reinforce the area and Dremel it out pretty, but do not have the stuff here currently.

The bracket in the second pic is welded to the boom. The hole in the hoeclamp in the 3rd pic is where you put the bolt to bolt the hoe clamp back.
20210424_181628.jpg 20210425_102752.jpg 20210425_102904.jpg

Bootheal

Man, I wish you guys would not post stuff like this. This looks like a must have addition and I’m already running short on funds for this year! This hoe keeps me constantly in the poor house.

In your opinion, could it work with a quick attach bucket?

man, I’m really impressed with your pictures. Thanks for sharing....I think.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Pretty neat looking attachment. I bet that gives the hoe a whole different feel with 400 extra pounds of pendulum weight on the end.

Have you tried it in the digging hole yet? I eventually left my fixed thumb in the 90* position and just learned to work around it while digging. I don't think I've pulled a pin on it in a couple of years.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Have you tried it in the digging hole yet?
No, I actually plan to move all the rocks and trees in the area where my shop will be , then move it to the digging position to check it out. I have a lot of clamp work for it now, and my time at my place is limited, so it will prolly be a while till I try it out.

I bet that gives the hoe a whole different feel with 400 extra pounds of pendulum weight on the end
I actually feel no difference when digging. I have only driven it a short distance so I haven't noticed that as of yet.

I am not sure how soon I will be welding the bracket on to the boom as I have lots of work for the hoeclamp for some time to come.

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
I bought one several years ago for my JCB. Love it, but welded a hook above it so I could use a come-a-long to lift it when changing pin settings.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
I'm with Bootheal, Tinkerer's homemade thumb project has got me scrounging around for some good steel to try his design, but if I sell a kidney I could probably get me one of them contraptions...

Tinkerer

The Amulet design is ingenious. I couldn't afford one.
I see they also make one that incorporates a hydraulic cylinder.
I think my thumb project was very affordable.
I spent about $650.00 / $700.00 for mine.
I purchased the 1"steel plates on ebay.
:(I should have made it as soon as I bought the machine 15 years ago.
I used it yesterday to move some sidewalks. Stupid easy for picking them up.

Last edited:

skyking1

I'm also not seeing an extra 400 pounds there, those two plates replaced the factory ones so that was a bit of a wash. My guess would be 250 net max. Nice addition, I must say.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I couldn't afford one.
....SHHHH, dont tell my wife!!! I couldn't afford it either....gonna be eating beanie weenies (hotdogs and beans) for the next 6 months...LOL

The model with the hydraulic cylinder was even more, but did not fit my extend - hoe.

One of the reasons I chose to do it this way is the fact that I do not live where my tractor is...so, I was able to spend a couple hours installing, then right to work. If I was to build it, I have a weekend to work on it, then back home, so it could take months, and I loose another summer of work.

:(I should have made it as soon as I bought the machine 15 years ago.
I agree in principal. I have only had my tractor about a year, but we, as humans, put off things that once we have them we ask ourselves, why did I wait for that...it is usually the $$$$ to be honest.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
those two plates replaced the factory ones
That is true, but the replacement plates are much heavier as they are double for most of the length. To your point as well, the pins are longer, but replacing existing pins. It is definitely not an extra #400 on the boom...prolly closer to #250-300 actual additional weight

Tinkerer

Man, I wish you guys would not post stuff like this. This looks like a must have addition and I’m already running short on funds for this year! This hoe keeps me constantly in the poor house.
In your opinion, could it work with a quick attach bucket?
man, I’m really impressed with your pictures. Thanks for sharing....I think.
The style of my thumb can definitionally be be used with a quick-attach bucket.
If you look at my photos the base plate for it is above the dipper pin.

fred rosenberg

I put one on my CAT 436B about 10 years ago. I wish I hadn’t. It adds so much weight to the back of that machine (its already kinda got a high CG) that if there is any kinda grade, I gotta go up in reverse. The digging position of the pin setting is kind of a joke too, the clamp hits the ground pretty quick after the bucket digs in. For moving brush/debris, or stacking rock walls, it cant be beat. But for 300$, the Chinese weld on bracket/thumb off Ebay works damn near as good. (I put that on my JD 310D). Much easier to stow away, for a full, unhindered digging position. The Amulet thumb is best if you have an extenda-a-hoe, and stack rock walls.
If you just need a thumb now and then, to grab rocks, trees/brush, dont waste your money, buy the Chinese folding thumb off Fleabay.
My .02 cents