• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Welding explosion question

jonno634

Occupation
Farmer
I know your shouldn’t weld on truck rims with tires mounted, as they’ll explode!

can you weld on an airbag mounting bracket, without removing the air bag? Or will it react like a tire? Just wanting to be safe. And this airbag looks like a pita to remove.

thx

jonno634

Occupation
Farmer
I know your shouldn’t weld on truck rims with tires mounted, as they’ll explode!

can you weld on an airbag mounting bracket, without removing the air bag? Or will it react like a tire? Just wanting to be safe. And this airbag looks like a pita to remove.

thx

well, it didn’t go boom!

Old Doug

If you are working by the hour it needs to be removed. I would at least let it down.

JPV

The only thing I worry about when welding around airbags is popping them with hot spatter. I deflate them and maybe even wrap a wet towel around it. The nylon air lines are usually what gets holes!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The rim is an integral piece of the pressure vessel. The Z-spring is pretty far removed from the bellows and bag of an air spring. The explosion risk comes from pyresis. That's when the tire starts combusting on the inside with no way to extinguish or vent excess pressure. That's the scary part.

Truck Shop

The proper method for any welding to take place---make sure you have a couple of batteries on the charger near by, wear clothes that have lots of loose threads hanging off, debris such as
old shipping boxes full of packing material, lots of aerosol cans setting around, grease rags piled up. and make sure and wear long hair.:p

Tugger2

Good video . All jokes aside tires are dangerous. The operator working for me was airing up his hand cart tire at home and it blew up with one hell of bang and gave him a bit of gash on the wrist.
As ive said before Tires are for Tiremen .

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
There is an MSHA fatalgram (case study) of a tire explosion on an off-road rigid haul truck. The front left wheel had been welded on 5-6 hours prior to shift change. Operator gets machine from garage area. Performed his walk-around inspection, climbed in the cab to fill out his inspection report. He was killed instantly when the tire exploded crushing the cab against the spill guard. There is no deadline or goal worth a man's life.
Cheap SOBs used to weld the cracks between Budd lug holes, duh... that's where the wheel centers and tightens, you're just kicking the can down the road and carrying a dangerous situation with it. I wish this information was easier to find and more widely spread. It's just not worth it.