• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

weld the bucket hook correctly

Welder Dave

I wouldn't doubt hooks have been welded on with 6011 and 6013. There are a lot of equipment owners who don't want to hire welders and don't have much clue about welding but just want to do it themselves.

Welder Dave

I'd have to look again. Maybe right at the T1 edge of the weld.
If the weld had just a little too much build up it may have created a notch effect at the edge of the weld. Insufficient preheat or post heat could contribute as well. Getting into alloy steels and specialty steels sometimes it doesn't take much for there to be issues. I've welded on vessels where very exacting procedures had to be followed and they had 3rd party inspectors come in to ensure they were followed. Your heat had to be within about 10 amps and they'd use clamp on meters to verify your amps. One of the things I noticed coming into play a lot starting in the mid 90's was shops had to have their welding machines calibrated so the settings on the dial were closer to what was actually being used. Without calibration you could have 5 or more identical welders all have different amps at the same setting. Of course in a field situation this isn't always possible.

Last edited:

trombeur

thanks for the advice, to be safe we removed the pin that hinges between the arm and the bucket and inserted the chain ring inside for greater safety thanks for the precious advice first of all safety thank you.