1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weird Stuff I learned about Hammers

Discussion in 'Construction Equipment Attachments' started by Muffler Bearing, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Muffler Bearing

Muffler Bearing Senior Member

Truck Mechanic
    I just took an Atlas Copco hammer class and found out some stuff I had never heard before, maybe this is common knowledge, but not to me.
    1. If a hammer is greased improperly and grease gets between the piston and the tool, the impact can actually inject the grease into the metal!
    2. If a standard hammer is used in water, the piston can act as a pump and draw water past seals and into the machines hydraulic system!
    3. Without proper grease, the tool is passing by the bushing so fast that that it is spot welding! I guess technically this is what all metal transfer is, I just hadn't thought of it that way.
    4. Lastly he just gave a really good explanation of why hammers should be stored vertically. If you leave them on their sides all the seals have to support heavy internal pieces like the piston. O-rings and backing rings aren't meant to be load bearing.

Any way it was a really helpful class, I wish I had taken it before I built 5 or 6 hammers

2. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    Its ALWAYS FUN to learn new sh*t.. even if you don't use it.. you can just store the info away & baffle somebody w/ bullsh*t if ya need to.. :)
    I went to an injection pump class AT THE FACTORY, ABUNCH of x..
    & when asking the instructor WHY this does this or WHY it does that.. the standard answer was>>
    "its a hydraulic phenomenon.. nobody knows"..
    No kidding.. THAT was the answer I got!!! I cant begin to tell you how many times I've used THAT ONE..!!! LOL.. o_O

3. check

check Senior Member

Always ask why and you will find out how smart they really are.
    It is easy to get men to understand information, procedures and long words, but it's difficult for them to understand reasons.

4. Muffler Bearing

Truck Mechanic
    Oh yeah, I've definitely had a (Detroit) teacher with a set agenda who was annoyed by any question you had that kept him from ticking off all his talking points and finishing the day. Then I've had a (Cummins) Teacher who would stop the class and search through data until he had a clear answer. It's as if tech teachers vary as much as service manuals.

5. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Some of that is new to me. Interesting. I know of a poor feller that bought himself a rental hammer that was basically scrap due to using the wrong grease....

6. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    One other thing they didn't tell you. Hammers should be greased with weight on the moil(chisel). If it's greased lying down a blob of grease will sit between the moil and piston then when it's used the grease will pass the piston seal and enter the hydraulic system causing pump failure.

7. 3quipz

3quipz Member

Will take note of those info

8. jacobd

jacobd Active Member

That's interesting stuff. Did they say anything about prying with the bit? Seems like everyone always talks about how bad that is but I've never understood why. I admit I don't know the first thing about breakers though.

9. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

"Prying with the Bit" ... I know of someone on a Kobelco exc that did that ... Broke the chisel !! about 3 inches in diameter. Metal has to be pretty hard to withstand the rock ... was very expensive to replace.

10. Muffler Bearing

Truck Mechanic
    Ouch!, no this guy didn't mention it