• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weight limits

Truck Shop

The less 32 nd's of tread depth the more likely a failure. The higher the ambient temp the road surface temp
climbs drastically. A drive tire with 19 32nd's tread depth inflated cold to 100 psi in 100* temps will run at
115 psi. A tire with 7 32nd's will be at 125 plus psi. Too much contact surface and way less air flow through
the tread. Recap tires especially-from years of experience I only inflate to a max 93 psi cold and a recap at that
psi has about a 80% less chance of exploding. That 8 psi difference on the top end of the scale makes a
huge difference.

skyking1

The 12.00/20's on the big yarders are at 100# and sounded like the 4th of July when they blew. I prefer to move when cool & wet out.

I'm glad I changed them all over to a tubeless radial now.
the first trailer that I towed the 120 on was a 1978 Miller with those charming walking axle beams, and 17.5's that were loaded right to sidewall. We tongue loaded the crap out of it, and still could not keep rubber on it. They spent a fortune getting those beams re-built and new bearings before I joined the company. It still dog-tracked and scrubbed rubber.
I had a blowout on I-90 in Issaquah a few miles from the job and limped it there at 25 MPH on 7.
That was loud for me, I don't recall if a car was near but that would have been bad!
Tire guy fixed it and I got it back to the shop, and I went shopping for the 20 ton we have now with the 22" tires. That Miller had a title problem and I think they scrapped that POS, best thing that could happen IMO.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s good info, Truck Shop. That’s been my experience, too. After, talking to lots of folks, my retreader and fleet managers. I go with 95psi cold on caps and by doing so, substantially reduced failures. Plus, I only cap once & after that, I sell the casings.

We are seeing 70F temps in Southcentral and I’m noticing a big increase of alligators on the shoulder of the Parks Highway.

skyking1

The less 32 nd's of tread depth the more likely a failure. The higher the ambient temp the road surface temp
climbs drastically. A drive tire with 19 32nd's tread depth inflated cold to 100 psi in 100* temps will run at
115 psi. A tire with 7 32nd's will be at 125 plus psi. Too much contact surface and way less air flow through
the tread. Recap tires especially-from years of experience I only inflate to a max 93 psi cold and a recap at that
psi has about a 80% less chance of exploding. That 8 psi difference on the top end of the scale makes a
huge difference.
It's funny how pressure will get you on either end, either high or low pressure. Too low and it's all contact and then a massive sidewall flex heat engine. A low one might not blow first, the dual next to it will fail for picking up the load.

Truck Shop

Tires need to be gauge checked every service, anytime a trailer enters the shop even if it was seen the week before-the tires get a walk around.
Bumping tires with a bat is really worthless other than it tells most there is some air inside. Checking with gauge is the only way and only takes a
few more minutes. Any tire that sticks 80 psi is considered a flat in the shop and 95% of the time there is something in it. One item that tire shops
have a tendency to over look on aluminum wheels is the valve stem o-ring. Every time a new tire go's on a wheel the stems are changed, when the
stems corrode against the aluminum those will start leaking. Plus shop rule new tires are to be inflated laying down not standing up.

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
I'm always blown away by how light a lot of other regions run trucks.

What we call a tandem here is a single steer axle, and 2 drive axles. Your average tandem here in Ontario is legal for 29,000Kg(63,800lbs). Even that is derating the components as a result of axle weight laws. My steer is rated for 9100kg(20,000lbs) and my drives are 21,000kg(46,000lbs). Tri axles, or twin steers are good for 37,500kg(82,500). And we can then add a two or three axle pup trailer to add another 20-25 ton on that.

Rolling down the road weighing in excess of 50 tonnes is par for the course. Probably explains the state of our roads here, but at least we get work done!

AzIron

I'm always blown away by how light a lot of other regions run trucks.

What we call a tandem here is a single steer axle, and 2 drive axles. Your average tandem here in Ontario is legal for 29,000Kg(63,800lbs). Even that is derating the components as a result of axle weight laws. My steer is rated for 9100kg(20,000lbs) and my drives are 21,000kg(46,000lbs). Tri axles, or twin steers are good for 37,500kg(82,500). And we can then add a two or three axle pup trailer to add another 20-25 ton on that.

Rolling down the road weighing in excess of 50 tonnes is par for the course. Probably explains the state of our roads here, but at least we get work done!

You ar getting it done we can do similar here up to 80000 lbs after you get to 64000 on steer and drives with appropriate axels you have to do the rest with pushers or tag axels on dump trucks that's

Az follows fed rules for the most part you have to be permitted for no reducible load to haul over 80 thousand and the definition of reducible is less than 8 hours work to remove

We just hit our first big heatwave of 110 plus in the afternoon and the tire shops are busy happens every year first big heat and all the tire shops are out of tires by the end of the week you will also see a lot of broke down trucks on side of road something about 110 degrees after that the heat just eats your weak point

Pony

What we call a tandem here is a single steer axle, and 2 drive axles. Your average tandem here in Ontario is legal for 29,000Kg(63,800lbs). Even that is derating the components as a result of axle weight la

I wonder about this.
If the same truck is sold in both Australia and Canada, would it be an identical vehicle (apart from left/right hand drive) or built heavier for the higher GVM in Canada?
Or do they just stamp the VIN plate with a higher number for different countries?

AzIron

I know Australian trucks are a fair bit different than us I dont think there is much difference if any between us and Canada trucks

skyking1

My tandem is good for 48K. I'm OK with that.
It is a small box with short boards so I can reach in there with the 35G excavator.
I recently purchased the license and downgraded the tonnage from 80K to 72K, because my combo with excavator and buckets is about 67K
That leaves me with 5k of leftover bedding capacity. I don't see a future where I have a half bed of bedding gravel and then toss all the buckets in there on top of it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Then again the manufacturers here are adding drop axles for added weight on truck, last 20yard bed dump I saw new had three drop axles with 17.5's on them in front of 46k tandem set with a 20k steer. May as well go to a trailer at that point as cannot bridge out.

AzIron

Then again the manufacturers here are adding drop axles for added weight on truck, last 20yard bed dump I saw new had three drop axles with 17.5's on them in front of 46k tandem set with a 20k steer. May as well go to a trailer at that point as cannot bridge out.
Depends on the state az goes by the fed bridge witch also accounts for so many axels in so many feet I think it's like 6 axels in 29 feet is good to 72000 and 7 axels in in 32 feet is good to 78000

Purpose built dump trucks are highly expensive but can go a lot of places end dumps never will that's another reason transfers were widely popular you have a 10 wheeler truck that can haul 20 ton and fit about anywhere a waste of time for most commercial but residential and landscaping supply there really handy

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Is the primary reason our boss had dump trucks. Also has short wb trailers with Bridge law drop axles they routinely haul 25t

Truck Shop

I've always liked that idea-Lets install a drop axle or two or three and add more tare weight so we can haul more net weight. Ever look at the trailing arm bushings on one with
twin drop's and the scuffed tires. Just more expense, the enemy of good is better. It has to do with Cogsworth Cogs type thinking.

AzIron

I've always liked that idea-Lets install a drop axle or two or three and add more tare weight so we can haul more net weight. Ever look at the trailing arm bushings on one with
twin drop's and the scuffed tires. Just more expense, the enemy of good is better. It has to do with Cogsworth Cogs type thinking.

Dump truck kryptonite is weight that's why they have low geared rear ends cheap transmissions and 10 liter motors that are about fried at 350 thousand not that the truck is any better shape at that point sure see a lot of trucks that were not set up right and frame is bent behind the cab