• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weight laws, restrictions, 3/4 ton w/ 14k bumber pull?? HELP!

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
In Tenn., they would interpret the law and say that you require a Class "B" CDL, based on the trailer having a GVWR greater than 10,000#. If the two added together are 26K, then a Class A. In fact, sometimes there is even a page stating such taped to the license testing office wall.

Knocker of rock

In Tenn., they would interpret the law and say that you require a Class "B" CDL, based on the trailer having a GVWR greater than 10,000#. If the two added together are 26K, then a Class A. In fact, sometimes there is even a page stating such taped to the license testing office wall.

I think you are misreading the information:
http://www.tn.gov/safety/driverlicense/CDL_Classifications.pdf

If the GCWR is less than 26,000 lbs, no CDL is needed. Read page 2 again

Oxbow

As RTSmith said regarding Tennesse, in Idaho, if the GCVWR is 26,000 pounds or over, then the CDL is required long with the DOT number etc. The distinction is that it does not matter if your gross weight is under 26k, if the weight rating of the power unit and trailer exceeds 26000 you are subject to those rules.

Edited afterthought - What sucks is that technically when we unhook the trailer from the pickup we are still supposed to have a CDL (as we are licensed for 30,000 lbs.) to drive just the pickup, which in my case is also my personal pickup. This means that my wife is not supposed to drive my pickup because she does not possess a CDL. We don't pay much attention to that though, and have not had any problems when just the pickup is being driven.

Last edited:

Karl Robbers

Over here the basic rule is that the trailer cannot weigh more than the towing unit.
So we couldn't pull a 14k pound trailer with a 10k pound F250.
Not sure that is totally accurate, several of the large 4WD's have a towing capacity in excess of their GVM assuming independent brakes are fitted to the trailer. The gooseneck fifth wheel trailers are yet another case of their own.
However, under Australian rules a 10,000 pound (4535Kg) F-250 would require a light rigid licence instead of a car licence. To tow a tralier at that weight would also require a ringfeeder, Bartlett Ball or pintle hook coupling.
I personally think an F250 is way undergunned to be pulling 14,000Lbs at any rate.

Last edited:

Shenandoah

I personally think an F250 is way undergunned to be pulling 14,000Lbs at any rate.

Same here. I jackknifed a 30 foot offshore racing boat on a tri axle trailer pulling it with a 3/4 ton years ago. I was conservatively following a semi hauing a box trailer and he did a bonzai stop approaching an intersection with smoke shooting straight out from both sides of the trailer tires and I hit the brakes only to have the trailer brakes take the day off.

In the minute and a half (mental time) it took me to realize I was going to become part of his cargo it dawned on me I better find another path out of harms way. So I bailed into a 'parked car lane' and luckly for me nobody was using the parking spaces. The truck/trailer ended up jackknifed, I ended up with a weird smell in the cab, and the folks at the intersection got quite a show.

We went out a bought a 1 ton after that. Here's the deal...it all works until it doesn't. I can't tell you how many thousands of miles we pulled that boat with the 3/4 ton without a problem. But all it takes is one episode to change everything. I escaped with only a red face and soup shorts. It could have been much worse...

Oxbow

:pointlaugh
Same here. I jackknifed a 30 foot offshore racing boat on a tri axle trailer pulling it with a 3/4 ton years ago. I was conservatively following a semi hauing a box trailer and he did a bonzai stop approaching an intersection with smoke shooting straight out from both sides of the trailer tires and I hit the brakes only to have the trailer brakes take the day off.

In the minute and a half (mental time) it took me to realize I was going to become part of his cargo it dawned on me I better find another path out of harms way. So I bailed into a 'parked car lane' and luckly for me nobody was using the parking spaces. The truck/trailer ended up jackknifed, I ended up with a weird smell in the cab, and the folks at the intersection got quite a show.

We went out a bought a 1 ton after that. Here's the deal...it all works until it doesn't. I can't tell you how many thousands of miles we pulled that boat with the 3/4 ton without a problem. But all it takes is one episode to change everything. I escaped with only a red face and soup shorts. It could have been much worse...

I've never heard the term "soup shorts" before, but I like it.

Last edited:

renovator

Since all of this is not confusing enough, I thought I would a New Mexico perspective. On the back of my driver's license it states: "Class D-single vehicle less than 26,000 lb. GVWR. May not tow vehicle in excess of 10,000 lb. GVWR unless equipped w/class 4 equalizer hitch or 5th wheel." I bought a 12k dump trailer to pull behind my old F-250. The first thing I did was get an equalizing hitch. I figured if I ever had an accident without that hitch--even if it not's my fault, a clever lawyer might figure it out and come after me. Very few people use those eq. hitches around here. I see several 12k trailers being pulled without them every day. It's a small pain to hook up, but rig does handle better. Having said all of that, I wouldn't try 14k off the "bumper." I would be looking at a gooseneck.

As far a DOT number, since I am the registered owner (not a business or company) and since I am the only that drives it, I haven't gotten a DOT#. A lot of companies that run small fleets and stay mostly in town (Albuquerque) don't bother with them either.