• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Web site

Dinkum

Website Question

Hey Guys,

I'm new here but I do have some web development experience, so I thought that I would put in my two sense.

There are a lot of low/no cost promotional opportunities on the web, but to take advantage of them you need to have a website. Whether you choose to DIY or hire someone, creating a website does not need to be expensive.

Here are a couple suggestions to start:

• Use the free blogging software from WordPress.org
  • Buy a domain name & hosting service (about $130/year)
  • Ask the hosting company to help you set up a Wordpress Site.
  • Review some of the many free Wordpress tutorials online.
  • Customize the appearance to your preference.
  • Add content about your business and what it does.
  • Update the content on a regular basis
  • If you have the ability to pay someone, then do it. It's worth it.

I realize that this may be overly simplified, but these are the basic steps. Afterward, you can register with a number of free local business directories like yahoo local, google local, yellowpages.com, yellow book and a bunch of others. Furthermore, make sure that you place your website's URL on all of your other adds, business cards, invoices, etc... so when people want more information about you, they know where to find it 24/7.

btpChad

Web Designer

I work in the Industry as an Advertising, Sales, and Web Marketing Manager. I also attended art school for Web Development. If you are still looking to update your website I am available for hire. I specialize in CSS/Javascript rich websites that are cross-browser friendly. I have a list of previous work upon request. PM me for more details. Thanks!

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
I've been reading with quite some interest in this particular thread, Granted I am new when it comes to excavating and starting a new business, but I did happen to come accross the Homestead Web development site and I would say that functionally it is a rather easy site to use, everything is drop and click but it does cost a small fee every month. Now....I could write a book on my experiences over the last few months and will gladly answer questions that anyone has for me. But as it was said earlier a good web site is the difference between a professionally done sign and a hand painted one. Unfortunatly I still lack certain funds for the professional painted sign, Which by the way I must say that Homestead.com would be more than happy to ablige me with, My experience with Homestead has been rather good, I feel that they are straight up guys/gals there. But I elected to put together my own web site for a business that was just started right in the worst possible economic climate there is.........AM I Nuts? well maybe.....but here is the other side of the story I also run a Dairy farm and maybe some of you know what that is as well......
My point here is this.... I started a business to diversify and spread out my risk, while making machines that I use for the farm pay for themselves instead of sitting idle. In the mean time we built this web site with the hope of attracting customers and presto! I start getting emails. I don't know how a lot of other contractors are fareing, but my little business is filling in the gaps and God willing, I hope to pick up enough work to hire someone to run the Cat in 2010 on the days when I am busy with the farm.
here is my web site:
http://www.Grunexlandclearing.com
Admittedly it does need to be professionally designed which I will contact Homestead for, eventually, but for now I've done all I can to get the word out, and still be financially responsible about both businesses.
As I said earlier I could write a book about my experiences this past year with the web site, it was in reference to my adwords campaign.........
hopefully I will get a chance to write about that sometimes in the next few days:usa

CementCreek

First Off, I like the site. Simple is sometimes the best. The one idea I may have would be a call to action. Tell people what you want them to do, call you email you, stop by. We use this a lot in our mail campaigns and have have great success with that so moved it to the web. Works there to. People get lost if you don't tell them what to do.

Beyond that I think any good site works. Godaddy or bluehost have worked well for me before. Just find one you can get around well. We are all busy enough already don't need to be learning new skills.