• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Waterfall Formwork random pics

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
A few work pics to lighten things up..... a few random machinery photos. The last photo was during work we carried out during a flood in Cork city a few weeks back.

Attachments

• 1r.jpg
    1r.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,604
  • 5l.jpg
    5l.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,576
  • 3r.jpg
    3r.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,552
  • DSC00011_resized.jpg
    DSC00011_resized.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,547
  • 4r.jpg
    4r.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,528

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I like the dump trailer behind the Prado.:D By chance any more pics of the hook-lift trailer behind the tractor?

I have seen some pictures of trailers and such behind farm tractors across the pond, some with excavators on tags. Do you guys pull tags and trailers with farm tractors on the public roads?

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Iv no good pic of up close to the hook but this might be some good... the second pic is our 16ton lowloader which is hooked straight onto the tractors pickup hitch for road work. the last pic is of a trailer we sold a while back. it was handy for shuttering but floor height was very high and didnt have the stomach to change the suspension:(

Attachments

• DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,541
  • DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,506
  • 100_0355_resized.jpg
    100_0355_resized.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,519

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
I have seen some pictures of trailers and such behind farm tractors across the pond, some with excavators on tags. Do you guys pull tags and trailers with farm tractors on the public roads?

Its a very common thing to see Excavators mainly 12-13 ton sometimes up to 20 ton (210 size) being moved behind tractors with ether twin or tri axle low-loaders (tag trailers)

I sure someone has pictures!

In recent years there has been controversy over how legal they are such as proper licence, road tax, road legal fuel etc.

But it still is the most common way for smaller contractors to move there machines!

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
For most smaller contractors like us the agricultural tractor is a cheap nd chearfull way of moving around the gear. We can use the tractor on a dumptrailer as well to keep it rolling instead of having a rig specifically for haulage.

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
The down side is they are a bit of a compromise nd not as stable as a dump truck as can be seen by this accident that happened us two years ago

Attachments

• Tractor 3.jpg
    Tractor 3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,855

Eddiebackblade

Nice pics JAM, very similar set ups around here, although the hookloader is only just catching on.
The Hiab crane trailers were top earners when I used to work on the big road jobs. The contractor I worked for would make his own from an old Truck cut down with a box section drawbar and run it from a PTO pump. They always had a young lad on them for very little money and worked around 15 hour days getting equipment out early from the compound and then back again at night as well as servicing everyones needs all day. Had a few shifts on them myself (No tickets, no banksmen, no tested chains, nothing tied on etc etc and flat out in big Ford TW's with more smoke than a Steam train!) Happy Days!:D
Cps, the whole Agricultural Tractor/Low Loader debate has always been and still is a complete farce!
I regularly use a local guy who runs a huge 32ft bed Chieftain Tri Axle behind a Fastrac.
He hauls somewhere in the region of 50% of all machines moved in our area and provides a fantastic service.
However It never ceases to amaze me how he continues to do it?
You have to see some of the loads he carries to believe it, and the combination of my old Zaxis 160lc and a Thwaites 10 Tonne dumper complete with 5 buckets is considered normal!:eek:
The best I have seen yet is a Cat 320L on the Low Loader and a 20tonne Joskin Dump Trailer behind the low loader so he could become a dumper once he got to site!:eek:
It's time it all got sorted out before something goes wrong big time!

Attachments

• IMG00054-20090928-1403.jpg
    IMG00054-20090928-1403.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,485
  • Image0060.jpg
    Image0060.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,476

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Do the pull tractors have air brakes or a compressor on board? Or do the trailers have hydraulic style brakes?

Digger Dan

I've seen the air brake mechanism removed from these trailers and replaced with a hydraulic cylinder that is activated with the tipping cylinder lever in the tractor a number of times in Ireland, crude but it works and is better than no brakes:)
Thanks for sharing the pics:cool:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Jam you in the south of the PRC? guess you haven't run in to "Robo cop" yet.He has most of the stab city terrorised over tractors and low loaders.I believe and may be wrong that you have to have a HGV licences if towing anything over 4.5 ton,then a max of 8ton /axle (provided the axles have a spacing of 1.2m ) with a max of 5ton on the tractor hook.Then there is the brake system either air or hydraulic operated from the brake pedal,have a deadman (applies the brake when the trailer becomes detached) and finally an independently operated parking brake.
Then you are supposed to have non rebated diesel in the tractor as plant hire is not classed as an agricultural operation . Awhile back, when on a job in stab city we used all hacks to move the spoil as it was less hassle and cheaper . However on the last wind farm job it was all tractors for moving the equipment as the roads were so poor and narrow and a truck would not work.
Still hate that bloody traffic corp have had some grief from them way worse than the Health and Safety authority at least the HSA will work with you the peelers will just be peelers and want to collect revenue.

Last edited:

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Here is a pic of tractor nd lowloader. Our digger developed a water keak on the last job so pulled the counter weight off to find the culprit which is a plastic housing under the thermostat that has a tiny hairline crack at the base:(

Attachments

• 29012010047.jpg
    29012010047.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 29012010050.jpg
    29012010050.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,344
  • 26012010038.jpg
    26012010038.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,283

stock

Occupation
Is that a Perkins lump?

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Ya its a perkins with a cat badge.... Seems a good engine, water pump replaced a good bit back nd this now, but nearly 6000hrs so not too bad. We have this engine except a perkins in a manitou loader and the biggest fault i can see with the cat is the plastics used around the thermostat where the perkins uses cast nd aluminium. The cats injector pump is different too and has a very flimsey looking turbo boost control for the governor. Is there any known problem with these donkeys....?

stock

Occupation
Used to be very hard on turbos if I recollect right.

Last edited:

Eddiebackblade

Hi Jam,
In my humble opinion that engine is basically a time bomb!
Every 312b I have ever used fitted with that unit has self destructed around 6-7000 hrs.
I am fairly certain the 315b utilised a similar unit, but under even more strain as the two I operated regularly both also blew at around 5000hrs.
However all were repaired in house and went over the 10,000 ok with a fair drop of oil at the end.
The new unit in the 312c that came after was a revelation, and have never encountered any problems at all apart from a thirst for diesel if you have ever driven a Hitachi/JCB or Case equiped with an Isuzu to compare.

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
hey eddie its looking like your spot on:( I initially thought i was losing water through the thermostat housing below but leak continued after fitting. Turned out to be coming from behind the timing gear case nd running out between the two bits. Iv the sump off now as well to replace the gasket where the timing cover sits down. Iv found out the turbo was replaced at just over 3000hrs hours. I have the strainer spotless and gonna change the crankshaft oil seal. Anything else i should check now that iv gone this far?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 265
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 263

Eddiebackblade

Fair play to yer Jam, you certainly aren't scared to get stuck in with the spanners!:D

If I recall they all used to go bottom end, but they all ended up being sorted by Finnings so we never got the actual story just a loan machine whilst they were fixed.

The one that blew on me was a classic, I was putting in long lengths of land drain in a huge arable field as part of a restoration job.
Nobody would touch it with a trencher as it was all sand and gravel, so I got the job with a 312BL and Draining Bucket.
I used ranging rods to line myself up and used to slew around and eye myself in each pull.
Without any warning, I slewed around 180 degrees and moved the machine and then began to slew back to the trench. On the return I began to see the tracks were black and dripping with oil, and when I caught a view of the trench it was completely blasted with black oil and all the surrounding grass also!
:eek:
Obviously I grabbed the key, but she had gone! Sump completely empty in the time it took to slew half way around.
I hate to admit it, but we had a brew and then threw a load more oil in it and tracked it out of the field and onto the low loader to Finnings!

It is hard to say if you should start doing a minor recon, as you will perhaps know what the machine owes you and how much longer you may keep it.
The one thing I will say with utmost confidence is that if you can get into a 312c sooner rather than later you will not regret it.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
What Engine has the 312C got Eddie just out of intrest?

Eddiebackblade

Hi Cps,
All the 312C's I have driven (and that is many!) Have had the Mitsubushi engine fitted.
Others markets may use different engines and we are probably about to find out!
Never put a spanner to one, although highest houred one I have probably ever used is around the 5,000hr region.
Massive fan of 312C's only drawback is they like a litte drop extra diesel compared to others.: