• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water Truck Chassis

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Equipment Guy.

Take a moment to read the Forum rules -

Especially this portion -

Advertising of goods and services are not permitted unless sponsoring heavyequipmentforums.com. With prior approval, a vendor of goods or services may create one introductory post or thread explaining their product or service and may answer questions about such within that thread. Approval may be obtained by contacting any staff member. Hover your cursor over their screen name and use the "Start conversation" feature. No further promotion of your product or service may be made without sponsorship. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, click “Contact Us” at the bottom of any page.

Special Note: Vendors of goods or services, or their representatives, who join the forums and make no worthwhile contributions other than to post multiple links to said goods and services are considered spammers. Spammers will have their posts removed, and their membership terminated with extreme prejudice.

This is your introductory thread, any other posts or threads about your business will be dealt with as spam. FWIW I enjoy the extreme prejudice part when it comes to spam.

cfherrman

I've driven several tandem water trucks at 80 bbl (3360 gallon) and the chassis depends on the service.

What year range you looking for?

Typically I would recommend a Pete with Pete air in the rear as they offer the best ride but it suffers with off road handling as you will spin the rear axle easy and get stuck. With careful driving in the mudd it's fine and this gives you the best all around truck.

If you drive a lot of road or in mudd and snow conditions a typical walking beam truck is excellent but you suffer unloaded on the ride.

I've driven a few macks and if this was 1998 I'd tell you to get one of those, but anymore with expensive replacement parts and the newer trucks suck I'd stay away. The last truck I drove was a 1998 CL with a e7 460, nice old truck that road well with camel back. Macks can have 3 ptos for a Bowie pump, vac pump, and a high pressure pump.

As far as manufacturers go you just need to go with whatever severe duty truck you want to go with. My friend bought a new Western star with a dd15 for his new truck, went all hydraulic for the pumps which is the way to go anymore.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Personally, I prefer any old off highway log truck. Most seem to have shop built tanks which seem to exhibit some mechanic's inner artist. All are highly functional, but the "accoutrements" are just cool.
I realize I'm being rather specific, since they are all pretty much fire tankers. A construction site water truck is just so "ho-hum."

IceHole

Ran a T800 with a 3406 and 13 speed. Was an awesome truck. Took a bit of learning on PTO speed to water launching distance as to not get Anchorage traffic and walkers too annoyed. Muffler fell off at some point so was lovely to let freedom ring on the Jake as to not smoke the brakes.

Have one with little CAT (10 liter?) and 9 speed at another job. Forget what model Pete or KW, short nose Does ok, but it's pretty slow with 5000 gallons.

Another job have 3 Internationals with DT466s. Slow but brick **** house sturdy. Leak sprung, only "comfort" is an air ride seat.

Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Our asphalt service trucks have always had a large tank of watering the rollers. They have always been equipped with a spreader bar just in case. We have a single axle S line international with an old underground storage tank. For years, the tank was in the dump bed, but it was adapted to be tank on frame. At one point, they welded the tale gate on a gravel box, and put a top on it. It kinda rotates onto tandems as they retire from the road. Most larger jobs we have a couple of tanker trailers. We park a tridem tanker on paving jobs so the service truck can get clean water for paving. It also has a spreader bar if needed. We have an old style tandem tanker trailer with a spreader bar for watering. When paired with an old Sterling tractor, it can turn pretty tight.

skyking1

I get to choose?
Here in the Seattle area it is usually the most cobbed out rusted out POS with questionable brakes, a seat that is more hole than seat, and it goes from job to job on a lowboy because it would never ever be roadworthy.
Not gunna miss that at all.
No I'm not bitter, I'M NOT!

;)

Oh only 1 nozzle works right and you have to park it in the right place so it does not leak itself into the mud too.

skyking1

I've seen some new Hertz rental single axles that had no adjustability what-so-ever. Totally worthless for anything but the hose reel and tankering.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Some guy says he knows water trucks and does not know about victaulics is full if it.
All the cool kids are using Quik-Vic's these days.

Potable Water trucks in Southern Ontario seem to only come in one of two varieties.

It's either a clapped out old rust bucket of a truck that is on it's third or fourth vocation with a total mismatch of hoses and fittings and a drive that looks like he is still serving weekends at the local jail. Or the other type of truck you see is a shined up, polished stainless and chicken light covered shagging wagon that must never leave virgin pavement, despite it appearing off road on a site. Custom paint and chrome wheel caps. These are generally piloted by guys who look like they do a lot of farming.

One extreme or the other, nothing in the middle.

skyking1

As an operator with CDL I was supposed to know the wierding ways of the water wagons and just know how to sort out all the mismatched and unlabeled crap. have hydrant wrench will travel.
The funniest one was NW Cascade had one with a 3208. I got in it and it had a spun rod bearing that sounded like a barking sealion in the crankcase.
I shut it off and tell the boss, then the mechanic shows up and I tell him but he just has to hear it for himself.
Then they start it for a 3rd time to load it on the lowboy. I was wondering if they wanted to skylight the block.

skyking1

|
|
|
V

depositphotos_24139707-stock-photo-open-steel-trash-can.jpg

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Any truck with a tank on it should have them.
Speaking of Vics, I just placed a big order for 2” & 3”. Genuine model 75 & 77 galvanized with nitrile “T” gaskets. The ultimate clamp.

The lower 48 operators prefer viton because it holds up better with the bio-blends, but viton leaks in Arctic cold. And you can switch load meth, using nitrile, but viton will melt in meth. But, we are talking about water wagons.

I’ve spent so much time fixing leaking fuel trucks when upfitters and mechanics use sprinkler clamps with EPDM rubbers instead of fuel rated ones. I have a box of shame, filled with gooey, melted, sprinkler gaskets.