• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water tanker trailer

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Anybody used one? A large contractor out here uses one even though they have like 5 or 6 4,000 gallon water trucks. They use it on their smaller jobs and tow it behind a 1 ton truck. This one is a double axle frame maybe 12 feet long with about a 300-400 gallon poly tank. I haven't gotten a good look at the trailer itself, it might have a pump, but you could set one up to gravity feed by having a hose hookup on each end of the tank if you were working on a slope. Getting water to a site isn't usually a big deal out here, but I got to thinking about it today on the machine. I actually thought about building one, maybe acquiring some sort of tank and chaining it my flatbed and using it as needed. Three or four hundred gallons doesn't last long, but it doesn't take long to fill either. Wouldn't be able to use it for bulk watering like roads or anything like that, but just enough water to backfill utility trenches in remote areas. Ideas?

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Any tank you run down the road with needs internal baffle even if its only a small tank. The one water truck I ran was a tank on a rolloff truck with a 3500 gallon tank no baffle when the water hit the ends of the tank it would bulge :eek:

Most contractors only have water tanks for fire protection otherwise water on the site isn't a problem.

Search the junk yards for good used steel tank the problem with plastic is the sun eats it. If you could find a used stainless tank like a old one used for carrying milk or something it would last forever. Depending on what size tank your looking for look at old decomissioned fuel trucks.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I use a 500 gal sprayer tank (poly) with a 3" B&S pump plumbed into a spray bar or 100' 1 1/2" hose, for dust control when it is not raining. needless to say it has not been used yet this year for dust control. The tank is also used for hydroseeding lawns and ditch lines. about 5500 sq ft. at a time. I have installed it on my 1 ton hooklift. Great for delivering to a stump fire site for burn control. the unit is 12 years old and stored outside in the eliments. This year it developed a crack and I am having to replace the tank itself at a cost of about $600. plus new fittings as I suspect I will distroy some of the old fittings when I remove the tank from the frame. The 500 gal. tank when full puts my 1 ton a bit over weight but is managable. A F450 would be a better choice. I am able to charge $100 per tank full delivered to any job site in our area and due to the hooklift am able to leave it there for as long as is needed. I am thinking about building a trailer hooklift system next. That way I could tow a heaver load then I can haul and still use all my hooklift beds.

Any farm supplyer should be able to supply information on what they call "sprayer tanks" 300 gal. to 5,000 gal in poly. True poly is affected by the sun but the life span compaired to the price is worth the investment in my opinion.

Dwan

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
And just so we don't forget about CDL requirements while we're discussing tanks--"A tank endorsement is required for certain vehicles that transport liquids or gases. The liquid or gas does not have to be a hazardous material. A tank endorsement is only required if your vehicle needs a Class A or B CDL and you want to haul a liquid or liquid gas in a permanently mounted cargo tank rated at 119 gallons or more or a portable tank rated at 1,000 gallons or more."

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
squizzy you are a nut!!!!!! a good nut but nonetheless a nut......

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
want miltary equipment how about this backhoe?? capable of speeds to 57 mph!

Attachments

• 2-BHL-4CX-MILITARY06.jpg
    2-BHL-4CX-MILITARY06.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • Speedhse.jpg
    Speedhse.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,031

Dualie

I bought one at an auction about 10 years ago for $550. it was a used rental unit with a newer pump on it. I used to to water the riding arenas and the trees along the road.

It was VERY handy to have around didnt cost me a dime in the 5 years i owned it. but if was towing it down the road daily i would have put new tires on it.

The only thing i would have done different if i still had it was to add a remote control off an RC car to run the sprayer bars somehow.

HobbyBuilder

Well, while this thread is bumped up, I may as well share my opinion. One does not need a full tanker trailer, because those are inefficient and not easily handled. I have had luck with IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Containers). More specifically, ToteTank (Just Google IBC rentals or go to http://www.totetank.com/ ). I've tried other companies that have used plastic IBCs before, but they are not Tote Tank. Other manufacturers' IBCs are made of plastic, and IMO, they break easier, and are bad for carrying volatile chemicals. Tote Tanks are stainless steel, and are much more resilient to damage. Tote Tank helped make my company as big as they are today, and for that, I am grateful.