• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water in the bevel gear case on Cat 955L

Kansaswoodguy

Checked my fluids on my Cat 955L and had milky bevel gear oil. Drained the oil, with drain cap loose but not off water was running out at first. Drained it all out. Changed transmission oil and filter saved trans oil. Used the old trans oil in the bevel gear case will run it an hour this evening or tomorrow morning and drain again then change bevel gear filter and replace oil with new TO-4 30 weight. The darn vent cap on top the bevel gear case was broken off and somebody over the years had swapped the caps that look to be identical that the vent is screwed into. So the vent was broken and on the right side of the machine which is right on the edge of the fuel tank had the caps not gotten swapped the broken vent would be under the fuel tank. When the machine is left out in the weather rain runs into the wide open vent down the side of the fuel tank. I replaced the vent. I may order a couple gaskets for those caps and get them in the proper locations.