• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Washington Tl-6 Trakloader

trakloader

Here is a 1968 WASHINGTON IRON WORKS TL-6 TRAKLOADER. They still call it a Trakloader even though it rides on rubber. It is equipped with a hinge type heel boom with a wood "snorkel" to extend its reach. Top speed is about 10mph. in high range. It could also be used for short yarding to about 400ft. Powered by a 250 Cummins engine. Almost all the controls are air, and this thing has a whole bunch of little Williams air cylinders and air pots everywhere!

Attachments

• tl6 049.jpg
    tl6 049.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,468
  • tl6 050.jpg
    tl6 050.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,336
  • tl6 051.jpg
    tl6 051.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,340
  • tl6 052.jpg
    tl6 052.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,336
  • tl6 054.jpg
    tl6 054.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,331

2stagefanWI

Wow! What an awesome piece of old iron, back when cables were used instead of hydraulics and logs were used as boom extensions!

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i do believe i would be scared to run that.

alleyoop

Occupation
I am the house forman but dont tell her that
That look like a old Crown Zellerbaugh mac. from down around Lady Smith i have built a lot of the for crown Was used for right of way logging worked good .That one looks like it might not travil any more with the tow bar.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I have some great TL-6 Pics- and all the original sales literature from Washington (a good friend worked for them). I owned a 208Dfor a short time and will round up some pics of that as well..............

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
A couple of TL6 pics, including a new machine with the Canadian boom version.

Attachments

• Washington TL-6 Canadian Boom.jpg
    Washington TL-6 Canadian Boom.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,633
  • IMGP0230.jpg
    IMGP0230.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,646
  • IMGP7182.jpg
    IMGP7182.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,607

2stagefanWI

Oh man, those are some great pics Contract Logger- great in action pics! But the first two pictures have a bit better lookin machine than the last one :D. Are the pictures of the same machine from different dates?

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
No, all different machines. Washington built around 250 of these-- i know someone who has the build lists with S/N, build date, and who it was delivered to. These things are rusting all over the NW, Canada, and 8 in Alaska that I know of.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Washington TL-6 in Klawock, Alaska dredging rock

Here we have a yarder/loader working in a dredging application- and doing agreat job I might add!

Attachments

• IMGP0982.jpg
    IMGP0982.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,606
  • IMGP0997.jpg
    IMGP0997.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMGP0981.jpg
    IMGP0981.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,648
  • IMGP1004.jpg
    IMGP1004.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,583
  • IMGP1002.jpg
    IMGP1002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,569

2stagefanWI

Wow, these are sweet pictures. Thats such a cool old machine... too bad there arent any here in WI, it would be really great to see one in person!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Abandoned TL-6 Trackloader near Kake, Alaska

This belonged to a friend of mine who was logging at Kake in the 1990's. His partner was killed on it (hit a powerline at the shop) so he towed it out the road and there she sits. Boom was cut off and scrapped 5 or so years ago, engine and trans were pulled off, then the road was pulled out. Now its walk-in only, andin big Alaska bear country- not good. Saw it from the air several times, finally hiked in.

Yes, there were bears harrasing me all the way in.

Attachments

• IMGP7183.jpg
    IMGP7183.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,642
  • IMGP7200.jpg
    IMGP7200.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,725
  • IMGP7173.jpg
    IMGP7173.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,534
  • IMGP7201.jpg
    IMGP7201.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,680
  • IMGP7181.jpg
    IMGP7181.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,536

2stagefanWI

Thats quite the story, funny ive never heard of a road being abandoned here in WI, but im sure the rough weather you get up there can make it look like a road was never there. But it seems as though the Trakloader is holding its own still against the elements. Thats a sad story about the operator and the machine though :(

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Thats quite the story, funny ive never heard of a road being abandoned here in WI, but im sure the rough weather you get up there can make it look like a road was never there. But it seems as though the Trakloader is holding its own still against the elements. Thats a sad story about the operator and the machine though :(

The machine is on Native land, but US Forest Service roads lead out to it. The USFS cannot afford to maintain the roads, so they pull out all of the culverts, bridges, etc, making the right-of-way impassable, even by four-wheelers, etc. Its a shame. Roads should be treated like an asset, but instead they are seen as a liability financially by some, so it makes sense to eliminate/close them by that rationale.........

2stagefanWI

It seems like thats how everything in todays world goes, anyone can sue anyone for anything and they do it just for the money and dont care whether its morally right or not. If someone slips and hurts themselves on a patch of ice on the walkway in front of my house, i'm liable for it... its pathetic.

trakloader

I have some great TL-6 Pics- and all the original sales literature from Washington (a good friend worked for them). I owned a 208Dfor a short time and will round up some pics of that as well..............

The one in my pictures was originally a Weldwood machine, and I have the serial # on file. If I dig it up, could you tell me the D.O.B.?

trakloader

That look like a old Crown Zellerbaugh mac. from down around Lady Smith i have built a lot of the for crown Was used for right of way logging worked good .That one looks like it might not travil any more with the tow bar.

The tow bar is for pulling it up steep hills, since you can't push it with all the overhang at the rear. This machine actually flipped up on its back climbing a hill once, but happily, they were able to pull it back down before it went over sideways.:eek:

BC-12valve

Belcarra, B.C. (Home) Merritt, B.C. (Work)
Occupation
Winch truck/Lowboy Operator (rig mover)
This belonged to a friend of mine who was logging at Kake in the 1990's. His partner was killed on it (hit a powerline at the shop) so he towed it out the road and there she sits. Boom was cut off and scrapped 5 or so years ago, engine and trans were pulled off, then the road was pulled out. Now its walk-in only, andin big Alaska bear country- not good. Saw it from the air several times, finally hiked in.

Yes, there were bears harrasing me all the way in.

Looks like some Greenies got their hands on some spray paint, what a shame :mad: