• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

warming up cold equipment

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
This year is different for me than years past. We are currently building a new shop and equipment storage facility so for just this winter we are storing our heavy equipment outside and also in 40ft storage containers. Although it doesn't get as cold as other places, we are starting to experience single didgit temps this winter here in Ma. I do not have any block heaters on most of our constuction equipment as it has been stored inside with heat over the years. We have been starting the equip and cycling the hydraulics when engines are at normal temp and watch hydraulic and trans temp gauges when they get to warm we send the equip on its way. This takes sometimes 11/2 hr in the a.m. My question is should I continue this route, or either install cold weather hyd oil or install some type of heater?

Oxbow

We do not have the luxury of having equipment near shops for most of our winter work. We often (this past week is a good example-15 below) have to start the equipment in sub zero temps. We use synthetic motor oil (Delo 5W-40) to help the starters turn the engines over, and use a generator to plug block heaters in.

After starting we try to let the engines warm up at about 30% idle until the temp gauge comes up a bit, usually about 15 minutes. Most of our winter work is with excavators: we then swing over the side (moving the joysticks gently), pick up one track, and let that track travel slowly for a minute or two to help the hyd. oil warm. We check the carrier rollers and idler at this time to make sure they are turning, if not we warm them with a weed burner a bit until they are free. We shovel tracks out completely at night, but all it takes is one bit of mud to fall on a roller and freeze and it won't turn. We repeat for the other side, and then idle up a bit more and walk equipment to work site and begin working gently until temps warm up.

The manuals say to bypass (bottom out) a hydraulic function to warm hyd oil, but I can't make myself do this, it just seems to be putting the max load on everything with cold oil.

I am sure others have different opinions on this, but this works well for us.

I suspect that in MA your typical hydraulic oil for year round temps is 10W or equivalent, so I would not change that just for winter, I would install block heaters for the engines though, it sure saves a bunch of problems. I know of folks who also install heaters that can be attached to hydraulic tanks, but we seem to get by without those okay.

joispoi

NAPA has coolant heaters that splice into the cooling system and circulate the warm coolant. It might be worth looking at if you're spending 1 1/2 hrs to warm up. The downside is that if the machine is parked out on a job, there's usually no place to plug in.

I have a related question. How resistant are hydraulic cylinder seals to ice on the cylinder rods?

heavylift

15 minute warm up, wiggle the sticks for a couple of minutes, going thru a whole range of motions. move machine at a slow pace for a bit.

Track machines, shoot tracks nightly, park on dunnage if available, so it won't freeze to the ground.

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
joispoi, I haven't has much problems with light ice coating, but with the concern of possibly tearing up a seal I just bring out a hand torch and thaw out. I'm sure the more the ice build up the bigger the threat. Also to your post I do have electric limitations, but I do use them on the Ag tractors at a different location. I'm mostly concerned about the hydraulics. I have already lost one pump on a DEERE (gear pump) to an operator not being patient, ended up scoring it and left for junk. If this is the only way to warm up by running and cycling and rotating than that what I'll have to continue with. Thanks for your reply.
NAPA has coolant heaters that splice into the cooling system and circulate the warm coolant. It might be worth looking at if you're spending 1 1/2 hrs to warm up. The downside is that if the machine is parked out on a job, there's usually no place to plug in.

I have a related question. How resistant are hydraulic cylinder seals to ice on the cylinder rods?

Dickjr.

I don't have but a few pieces (smaller) but I start them and let the engine build up some heat , about 15 minutes. Then I will go ahead and starting moving slowly for about 1/2 hour , kind of easing into it. After that let her rip. It gets cold here down in the teens and we have worked single digits but not often. I've seen some guys crank them then in two minutes go wide open the same guys that will be running wide open on a 100 degree day and be rolling wide open and trun it off and roll to a stop. On that I'll let it idle about 5 minutes to get ride of most of the excess heat.