• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wanting to get into the mini ex game

Allan M

Occupation
Semi-retired: Strategic planner/author
Captain Texas, I have 18 acres of which 8 need some level of management. The balance is an open space requirement where I put a house. I'm cutting fire breaks and walking trailing mainly through heavily wooded(small trees not over 2' in diameter) areas with Manzanita, Oak and other brushes...but also a lot of Serpentine (decaying rock) and small hard stone. I have done some pad excavation too. I'm not an experienced heavy equipment operator. I've run a tractor/backhoe for 5 years and now own a 12.5k pound excavator for 4 months. I bought the machine after renting it for two weeks, one in May and one in June of last year. Then decided that if I could get a good price and a reliable machine, why not have it for a few years so I could do the things I wanted to do on the property and not need to compress all of the work in a one or two week rental period that was tough on my body and work schedule. The advice to rent a machine first at least for a week is really smart from the experienced guys on this thread. That way, you'll get a feel for the capability of the excavator and size requirements. My U55-4 Kubota is just right. It is a bit undersized for some aspects but 85% right for everything else. I could afford it--and to have it sit 4 to 6 days a week unused. I have a wonderful Kubota dealer close by. While I'm not a heavy equipment professional I am extremely mechanical. As said earlier in this thread, you really don't want to own one of these beasts if you're not interested in delving into some aspects of the mechanics and really understanding how to use and not abuse these machines. You're also smart to tap into the wisdom on this sight. I've learned a lot from these experienced operators that are willing to share their knowledge--which really helps learners like me not kill myself in the process. Don't wait. Rent a machine for a week to help you get your head around your needs. I would suggest you stay away from any project excavator--unless you want to become a heavy equipment mechanic or drop a lot of bucks at a dealer. Best in your adventure, Allan