• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wanted- Opinions on Kubota SVL 75 as a new purchase

big builder

Hello All,

We are discussing with the dealer a purchase of a new 2020 SVL 75. I have done online searches and found some issues. Seems like mostly emissions related.

We do not work machines that hard. It would be for backfill, forking lumber around jobsites etc.

I would love to hear real world opinions on these machines good and bad before we go ahead. I have also looked at a cat 259. But it is about 10K more.

I appreciate any help on this.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Working them harder would actually be better than working them lightly. Kubota still runs a DPF in that machine, no SCR so that is a bonus. Lugging them around and running them a wheel barrow doesn't allow them to run very warm and that can cause issues. There are other machines that run a DOC instead of a DPF (DOC is essentially the same as the CAT on your car) on sub 75 hp machines, no filter to maintain.

big builder

Hi, Thank you very much for the reply. Yes I have heard that running them harder is better for the emissions. I guess at times it will be run hard and then others not so. But rubber tired skidsteer is an older gehl. 2007. Its happy running hard or idleing around for hours. I understand that things are different now. It worries me. But I need tracks on the job I am on. I am torn about what to do

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Prior to Ti4 buying more machine than you needed didn't have a lot of downsides outside of the higher initial cost. Now putting an SCR machine working it lightly with a lot of idle time and so forth will result in a lot of service calls, regardless of what color it is. DPF on the sub75 hp machines is essential a Ti4 machine from the 2014 till T4F. I had a Tier 4i machine that worked like a dog, and traded it at 2k and it never had DPF issue. My suggestion would be if you work the machine for the taxing jobs and use the older Gehl for the light duty jobs and you will likely be fine. I have never owned a Kubota and my comments about them stem largely from what I read, I don't know any contractors here that own them either. It appears to me that a lot of the issues that Kubota has had with emissions seem to be enlarged by dealers with service departments that cant properly diagnose problems and Kubota themselves doesn't seem all that responsive to assist at times. The key to buying a Kubota, I think is having a dealer with a large presence and technicians that are schooled on the equipment. If your dealer moves a lot of machines and isn't a lawn and garden dealer that dabbles in compact equipment you will likely get good service. Asking current Kubota owners in your area when you see them would provide some insight as well.

big builder

Good Morning KSSS.

Thank you very much for the detailed information. Its so difficult now wading through all the information on machines. Its sort of sad that the fact we run out machines easy and take care of them is now turning into an issue with reliability. The dealer here is good. Very close at 5 min away and I have heard nothing but good things about them. It seems they sell alot of machines.

I am going in tomorrow to talk with the salesperson. I want to ask if there service includes all the mobile service I need for warranty as we work on islands alot.

Thank you

AzIron

I to am looking at a 75 seems like a solid machine from what I can see

My brother in law works for the kubota bobcat dealer he has had nothing but good things to say about kubota I do know there are starting to be as many kubota as Bobcats around here and there are not near as many in the shop getting worked on that I see

The dpf wouldn't concern me to much as long as it doesnt sit an idle for longer 5 10 mins in a couple hours light jobs are not terrible either on any other dpf equipment in my experience the machine burns off a little more frequently as long as it's not going long times between getting the crap worked out of it you should be ok

big builder

Good Morning, Thank you very much for the information. As an update I bought the machine. A new SVL 75. I took it a job yesterday. Here are my thoughts after one day. Mostly this is compared to my Gehl 6640 E which I bought new in 2007
- Quieter
- Not as fast or powerful
- I am 6 foot 3 - The cab is smaller and the saftey are not quiet positioned perfectly with the joysticks for all day use.
- WHile running with door up if you hit a bump my head hits the glass above
- Traction is vastly improved.
- Not sure on this but it seems the bucket is lower in the resting position than the other machine. I was working on a 35 degree slope yesterday. Place the crusher and back up. But even with the bucket curled up I needed to raise the loader arms somewhat to stop the bottom of the bucket from digging in.

A little early to know much about how it will perform.

The dealer has sold alot of these this year. Had 4 when i called on thursday and I bought the last one on Monday.

They also said they have had zero issues with the 75 but have had some with the 90 series.

skata

You'll never go back to a wheeled machine!
Bucket shouldn't dig in like you said. You try the float function?

Tags

I "think" what he means is when he is traveling with the machine, the loader arms are all the way down and the bucket is curled back the bottom of the bucket/ends of the loader arms are digging in or dragging on the ground. You just need to get into the habit of picking the arms up a bit when traveling especially if the terrain has lots of ups and downs, I'm pretty sure my 90 would do the same thing but I just typically keep the arms up about a foot or so.

big builder

Yes, That is right. This doesnt happen on my Gehl machine. This machine must be just lower. I spent the day unloading the barge of of clear stone today and running up a long slope. Approx 35 degree ( at times a little more) The machine is working very hard and really slows down as it approaches the top. It seems to be less powerful than my gehl. I will say that my 6640 with the turbo deutz is a a very powerful machine. Maybe the tracks rob power as compared to wheels?

For sure the traction is a huge difference. It rained heavy all day yesterday and the Kubota kept going all day no problem. The wheeled machine would have not made it.

Its clear now that I will have to run the Kubota with the door down. My head bangs the glass if I run it with the door open.