• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wanted brand/model recommendations for tracked skid (used)

SnoSheriff

Newbie here. I'm leaning towards a purchase of a used tracked skid. This machine will be for personal usage around the house, lift things, snow clearing, clear some bush and odd jobs here and there. I'm not a contractor. This will be my first skid and my budget is about 12K USD (thinking buying from Ironplanet). I'd like highest HP possible with Auxiliary hydraulic pump. I did some online research and it looks like the following may fit the needs:
  • ASV 4810
  • Bobcat T190, T250, T300
  • Caterpillar?
  • CAT?
For some reason I don't see many ASV threads here. I'm looking for brand and model recommendations and feedback. Machines to stay away from, the good, bad etc... Thanks!

Last edited:

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
I'm a takeuchi/cat guy. If you're using it at home only. I would go either cat or asv. They do the least amount of ground damage.

curbside

Not sure if your in the Winnipeg area but if your buying a track unit in the 12000 dollar range I would stay with a Bobcat. Dealer is good in the Wpg area and have a good supply of parts. If your buying a track machine for that price you will need parts.

SnoSheriff

Not sure if your in the Winnipeg area but if your buying a track unit in the 12000 dollar range I would stay with a Bobcat. Dealer is good in the Wpg area and have a good supply of parts. If your buying a track machine for that price you will need parts.
I'm just outside of Winnipeg... Have you dealt with the other local major brand dealers?

Hmmm... I didn't rule out a wheeled machine. Are they less $ to maintain?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
skidsteer

I'm a takeuchi/cat guy. If you're using it at home only. I would go either cat or asv. They do the least amount of ground damage.

Me too, Takeuchi tough machine, its hard to kill them, I have tried.
TL26, TL130, 140, 150

bonanno23

Occupation
Tire machines are boat loads cheaper to own.

Do you have a huge piece of property? I'm thinking you need to do alot of research before you make the decide to own a skid-steer.

Cat and Caterpillar are the same thing just so you know!!!

From what you listed as usage for the skid-steer, I'd say look for an older and smaller sized bobcat (tires). you can find something for less than 12k. Unless you have acres and acres, I'd rent for your projects and get a snow plow for your truck. you'd save a ton of money

SnoSheriff

Tire machines are boat loads cheaper to own.

Do you have a huge piece of property? I'm thinking you need to do alot of research before you make the decide to own a skid-steer.

Cat and Caterpillar are the same thing just so you know!!!

From what you listed as usage for the skid-steer, I'd say look for an older and smaller sized bobcat (tires). you can find something for less than 12k. Unless you have acres and acres, I'd rent for your projects and get a snow plow for your truck. you'd save a ton of money
Please elaborate how tire machines are cheaper to own.

I suspected there was Cat/Caterpillar relationship but I don't know why they are known by both names...

My needs are listed in another thread: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=17168

bonanno23

Occupation
well, tires lets say cost $500 a piece as a nice round number. thats $2000 a set of 4. tracks cost from $1800-$3500 a piece. Thats 1 reason. Track machines also have sprokets, rollers/idlers, bearings, pins, and the list goes on.

I'm not trying to nock your interest in owning all the equipment you listed! I would recommend doing the rental thing at first. Its one thing to work around your house, but once you get into doing jobs for other people/companies, you have to worry about licenses and more importantly insurance. Insurance SUCKS. I'm an operating engineer for a large company monday-friday. I own a tak tl150 that I use on the weekends and after work some days. I really didn't think about insurance until I already own the machine. I don't want to write a novel here, but its not worth the risk of losing everything you own working without insurance.

I bought my machine new so I have insurance on it as well as light excavation insurance. I'm at $6500 for just thos 2 things.

I could keep going on how owning a side business is not all its made out to be. If you have more questions, I have a lot more to tell. Just don't feel like writing a book right now. lol

any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

curbside

I only buy Bobcat at this point. Others have bought and dealt with other dealers and they do not get the same kind of service I do. At this point I am pretty loyal to the Bobcat Dealer here with the skids and track loaders.

As far as repairs for the track loaders they can be huge. Anybody running the machines for the same costs as the skids is a fool. As already mentioned tracks alone can cost 4000 - 6000 (Canadian) and you can expect life around 500- 1600 hrs if gently. Undercarriage componets are expensive and if you blow a drive motor you can be in for a bill near 10 000.

Buying a track loader in that range of 12000 I think you could expect tracks would need to be replaced and other things to follow.

The track machines also take a beating as they are constantly vibrating and the guys that use them generally use them pretty hard.

If you buy above T190 series then you would need to have a Class 3 license to tow the machine around as the T250 - T320's all weigh in the 10 000lb class and your trailer will need a safety once a year.

If you start a business you will need insurance and WCB.

After all that for pushing and grading and general work in bush and fields their is nothing better than track machine for doing those jobs. The sheer power and grading ablity is awsome and will run circles around a wheeled machine doing those functions.

If your looking at a machine to do the occasional grading, working in mostly dry conditions, around the house, using it as a glorified wheel barrel and snow then I would recommend sticking with a wheeled machine.