• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Waker Neuson st45

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have a bit of experience with the machine. I provided customer input into the machine during development. I went to Linz, Au where it was designed and the first ones built. They then sent me an ST35 that I ran back home for a couple weeks. It was a good machine, I worked the heck out it. It makes good use of its 75 hp. The is no difference between the 35 and 45 except the loader arms. Their construction is robust to say the least, very HD. I thought the pilot system turned out very well. We spent a good deal of time on it getting it dialed in. The cab is ok, I wish they had put the HVAC dial in a different location but it is what it is. Visibility is good. It sounds like they have been reliable machines, the first ones to roll out had some updates done but by this time that is complete. I am waiting for their 100 hp machines to roll out and I plan on buying one.

Thank you for the reply. I have ran both 35 and 45 and liked it. The 45 was weaker on lifting power but no worse that the kubotas I have ran. I agree that the hvac dial is in a not so ideal location but I like that its mechanical and not electronic. That the reason I'm looking to purchase a waker neuson. They seem to be so simple and easy to service. The updates your talking about is that the wiring harness issue?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thank you for the reply. I have ran both 35 and 45 and liked it. The 45 was weaker on lifting power but no worse that the kubotas I have ran. I agree that the hvac dial is in a not so ideal location but I like that its mechanical and not electronic. That the reason I'm looking to purchase a waker neuson. They seem to be so simple and easy to service. The updates your talking about is that the wiring harness issue?

Yes, the machines are pretty trouble free considering they are a ground up new machine. I really like the build quality of the machine. The new medium sized machines reflect the current thought on the cab layout, which is a lot better I think. They are simple and access to the various components is excellent.

Figured I would update on this if anyone was interested. I have purchased a st45. Price was right and I think it will make a great machine. I had purchased it without actually running the machine which I wasn't to afraid of considering it had low hours. But after getting the machine to me and unloading it off trailer, I had learnt that it was h pattern controls. I had assumed it would be iso controls. When looking at info about these machines, wacker neuson says that machines can be iso or h pattern. Again I had assumed that would be a simple switch or pattern changer like and excavator. Again I was wrong. I have come to find out its a fairly big deal to switch them around. Hose rerouting I can do but I must take it to dealer to have computer reflashed. Aside from that I am so far please and excited to switch controls so that I am more comfortable to really put it through its paces and give a honest review and comparability to others I have ran.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Pattern changers in pilot controlled machines is fairly uncommon. Komatsu first came to market with it, but it did not work real great, I believe they still have their method tied up in patent rights. Tak has a pattern switch but I am not convinced it is as good as a dedicated machine either. The upside to Pilots is the great feel and zero electronics, down side is you cant easily change patterns. I think H is a better pattern for skid steer operation anyway but that is just me of course. I look forward to hearing what you think of the ST45. If you load trucks you will certainly like the lift height and reach the machine has.

KSSS, I fully agree with everything you have said that hydraulic pilot controls are hands down the right way to operate a machine. I am taking it to dealer near me tomorrow to have the controls changed. I disagree that h is the better way but I understand that its all in what you are used to and been around. I had run h pattern some years ago but that was when they were still two sticks you pushed and pulled. Not joysticks in your hands. I feel that iso is easier for new operators and even seasoned operators if they give it a chance. Mind tells one hand to drive and one hand to operate bucket.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I was being facetious. The best pattern is the one you prefer to run. That is what is nice about EH. I have one operator that prefers ISO, hit the button and he is running his pattern (however inferior that pattern may be..lol)

A review for anyone interested. I am very pleased with the machine. I feel its a major competitor to the cat, tak, and Kubota machines. Very well built and visibility is excellent. Cab is very comfortable and the getting in and out is very easy. I like that the machines undercarriage is built by berco and in my opinion that's one of the best out there. Only downfall I think I can come up with is the swing door. I would be better suited with a slide up door.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
I had a ST31 on a demo and then rent for a couple months. Overall seemed like a pretty good machine. This particular unit had a rocker switch to switch between H pattern and ISO. My biggest complaint is the seat belt instead of the pull down bar in most skids. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't force you to wear it :rolleyes:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The ST31 is EH and the ST45 is pilots, so the 31 will be able to switch back and forth from H to ISO with a switch, the pilot machine is cannot switch like that. The seltbelt situation would take some getting used to, NH used to do that back in the day.