• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

Showpony

333ft videos on you tube

well they`re normally always working together so

hi Brainzie
What are building there?, those scrapers are a credit to you. Great to see the digger sitting in the background, scrapers especially elevator owners would be a lot busier if people could see what they can do.
Ive posted some new videos of the 333ft on you tube, Kerry hit the pause button while the cameras on the motor that way you wont get too stressed , take it easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWiFbPGbDPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCP69gs4eNQ

terexkerry

hi Brainzie
What are building there?, those scrapers are a credit to you. Great to see the digger sitting in the background, scrapers especially elevator owners would be a lot busier if people could see what they can do.
Ive posted some new videos of the 333ft on you tube, Kerry hit the pause button while the cameras on the motor that way you wont get too stressed , take it easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWiFbPGbDPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCP69gs4eNQ

never stressed nick,digger is probably onsite to lift out the elevator motors,take it easy,kerry

terexkerry

nick,if you ever trade the wabcos in make sure they are full of fuel,you will get double {pinched this saying** take it easy,kerry

Brainzie

Thanks Showpony.

Its just a feed out pad for a farmer. Yeah the scrapers are far more efficient then bloody diggers and trucks. in that application any ways

Last edited:

Showpony

Brainzie,. the irrigation dam boom is pretty much over down here and cockies are putting money into massive feed barns, 30000m3 to shift one the one we are on now. Its great to see the dairy industry spending money on feeding systems, more milk, more money, more scraper work.
Kerry, we had an s11e many moons ago, before we became electricaly enlightened, the terex hydrostatic elevator motor was great you didnt need a digger, it fell off.
Good tip on the fue,l unlike terex equipment, Its hard to keep the tank full on gear that keeps going, always wondered why ts14s held their value.
take it ezy

Last edited:
Reactions: DB2

LEKA

Newbie here, just found this great thread of old (and not so old) machines.

Worked as an operator in NSW (Aust) for a good few years.
Drove D-pull, 111A, 222F & H, 623, 633,631, JD 762/762A and 862.

Later moved onto excavators/FEL/dozers and graders and then dirt boss and now corporate management in Safety for a large International construction management company.

Driving scrapers was the most 'fun' I had at work.
Hard to pick a favourite machine, but the 111A's were good workhorses. The Reynolds bowl was the best design I have seen for the work we were doing which was mainly large scale levelling for flood irrigated cotton.
I enjoyed the electric steer and when it was working properly it was quicker than hydraulic.

Started in NW NSW in the cotton area, later worked in Quirindi with a local farmer who bought a 762 and quickly traded it for a new 762A. Ultra reliable and a quick machine, but rougher to ride than the 111A.
Later worked in WA/NT on some large road construction jobs.
They had a fleet of 633 (D I think) and had some good fun chasing load counts with the crew there. Learnt to drink on that job!!!!

Spent some time on a 140G/H before being moved up(?) into a Landcruiser and playing dirt boss.

It's a great grounding for what I do now, although my office in Yokohama, Japan does not look anything like the black soil plains of NW NSW!!!

Snowing outside as I write this!!!!!!! (10:00am, Tue 19th Feb)

Love seeing the old pics of Wabco's.
Would love a drive of the 252 of Footstools. Great pics, and from around my old stomping grounds.
Good to see it working and hope you can make a few dollars.

Will add comments if there is something I can add value to, but mostly enjoying the pictures.

My father used to talk about the 'good old days' with cable scrapers and pilot motor dozers. He worked on the Grafton flood mitigation scheme back a long time ago and also worked for Thiess and may have worked on the Snowy, but there was beer involved and he was no stranger to not letting the truth get in the way of a good story.
Best beer story heard was when he was challenged to spread butter on a peice of bread with a grader.......................(Yeah right, with a 12E????)
Swears blind it was done, but having a few hours on a grader, its not something I would wager a $ on!!!!!!!!

Some great stories though, and I wish I had listened more when I was younger as Dad has passed away now.
Apparently he was a decent operator, but not as good as the stories in the pub though.

Good times though, and I do not regret one minute of sitting bouncing around on a scraper though.
If only WABCO had built the cushion hitch on the 222G it would have been unstoppable.

LEKA

Forgot to add 101's to the list above.
I beleive we had some of the first 101G's out of Sydney, and when the factory closed, the manager bought and an old 111A and worked with us for a while.
Forget his name now, but nice guy.
He said he found every one of his staff a new job, excpet himself!!!

We had no end of trouble with the king pins in the 101's.
Surprised no one here has mentioned it, but it was a huge problem for the machines we had.
They were really no match for the 111A though. Ours were kept in good condition, and were better than the 101's.

We had some of the earliest laser gear in the NW at that time as well.
We had a Spectraphysics (sp?) on a drag scraper behind a 4840 JD tractor that I drove for a while.
Good to be involved in the early days of that. Made land levelling a lot quicker and easier.

Nearly got a drive of a new 140 in Darwin a few months back, Macmahons had a few and an operator I knew was on one. Didnt find out till later though, and missed a good chance to have a crawl over one of them. Maybe next time. Would like to try the new controls/steering systems. They look good. Wonder how many older operators use the automatic settings??

Sorry for the hijack......................back to WABCO's.

terexkerry

Brainzie,. the irrigation dam boom is pretty much over down here and cockies are putting money into massive feed barns, 30000m3 to shift one the one we are on now. Its great to see the dairy industry spending money on feeding systems, more milk, more money, more scraper work.
Kerry, we had an s11e many moons ago, before we became electricaly enlightened, the terex hydrostatic elevator motor was great you didnt need a digger, it fell off.
Good tip on the fue,l unlike terex equipment, Its hard to keep the tank full on gear that keeps going, always wondered why ts14s held their value.
take it ezy

because there are more 14,s still mobile,looking at video of 333 loading i dozed off (parden the pun)when i woke 10 minutes later its still trying to get a load if that is what you would call the end result,have a good day,kerry

terexkerry

take it ezy

because there are more 14,s still mobile,looking at video of 333 loading i dozed off (parden the pun)when i woke 10 minutes later its still trying to get a load if that is what you would call the end result,have a good day,kerry

Last edited:

terexkerry

you should put your operaters on m3 rate with that show and fuel usage you could buy a 14,take it easy,kerry

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
Brainzie,
Very nice D-Pull operated the one my father had back in the 60's. I attached some pic of how he made them operator frindly back then. Of course when he showed wabco his pictures the said thay had already used that idea on the new bigger machines. (Imagine that) The hydraulic tank is in the bumper. Best fuel saver is the extended cutting edge. Ours used to stick down as far as the teeth went, so it picked up every thing that slipped through them. If the attachments work you can see. (still can't get that to work)
PA260939.JPGPA260938.JPG

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
Brainzie,
I got it to work!!! this one shows the cutting edge on C-Pull. Oh, buy the way I resured it from the scrap yard, Dad had traded it for a 613 back in the 70's and a local land fill bought it from the cat dealer. Also can you find replacement contactor points for the electrical?

Good luck and best wishes with work.

View attachment 99696

Last edited:

HSV127

Thanks Showpony.

Its just a feed out pad for a farmer. Yeah the scrapers are far more efficient then bloody diggers and trucks. in that application any ways

I like the way you think Brainzie, the good thing about scrapers is they never stop moving and they don,t leave unsightly piles of dirt everywhere to be dealt with later!

Showpony

hi and welcome

Forgot to add 101's to the list above.
I beleive we had some of the first 101G's out of Sydney, and when the factory closed, the manager bought and an old 111A and worked with us for a while.
Forget his name now, but nice guy.
He said he found every one of his staff a new job, excpet himself!!!

We had no end of trouble with the king pins in the 101's.
Surprised no one here has mentioned it, but it was a huge problem for the machines we had.
They were really no match for the 111A though. Ours were kept in good condition, and were better than the 101's.

We had some of the earliest laser gear in the NW at that time as well.
We had a Spectraphysics (sp?) on a drag scraper behind a 4840 JD tractor that I drove for a while.
Good to be involved in the early days of that. Made land levelling a lot quicker and easier.

Nearly got a drive of a new 140 in Darwin a few months back, Macmahons had a few and an operator I knew was on one. Didnt find out till later though, and missed a good chance to have a crawl over one of them. Maybe next time. Would like to try the new controls/steering systems. They look good. Wonder how many older operators use the automatic settings??

Sorry for the hijack......................back to WABCO's.

Hi Leka
Welcome to the forum, looks like you have had a lot of experience with wabcos, i'd like to hear more

Showpony

contactor points

Brainzie,
I got it to work!!! this one shows the cutting edge on C-Pull. Oh, buy the way I resured it from the scrap yard, Dad had traded it for a 613 back in the 70's and a local land fill bought it from the cat dealer. Also can you find replacement contactor points for the electrical?

Good luck and best wishes with work.

View attachment 99696

Hi maurice
we get ours from hydromarine in mumbai, india

LEKA

Hi Leka
Welcome to the forum, looks like you have had a lot of experience with wabcos, i'd like to hear more

Thanks for the welcome Showpony.

Read back through my rant and noticed a few mistakes...................sorry about that!!
Does not seem to be an edit option once you click post.

On the topic of the 101 King posts.
We had only put a few hundred hours on our (2) and they both has to get the king posts changed out.
This was a huge job and took some time as the WABCO guys that came up from Sydney had not done it before and were learning on teh fly.
Eventually new posts in, and another few hundred hours and there was slop in them again.

I understood this to be a common problem with them and one reason they were not very succesful.

Seen a few guys still running them on here, and maybe they fixed the issue with a modification?

I would be interested to know.

I left that outfit to go and drive a JD 762/A for a few years and didnt hear any more about the 101's problems.
I do know the outfit went broke some years later, but do not know any details.

Showpony

d 15.11.09 091 (3).jpge 15.11.09 091 (4).jpg03.02.11 001 (1).jpg03.02.11 001 (2).jpg

Leka, we have 2 101fs that we have owned since 2000, the horizontal pin has been replaced and rebushed on both machines but we have never had problems with the kingpin other than getting the pin reseated and tight into the hitch casting after it has been out. It would seem you may have been using early production 101s and the problem was either fixed by wabco or the owners.
This is one of our old girls still with the original cab and 504. The other 101f has a 3208. Brainzie Ill post some pics of her asap

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
We ran 101's and D's in the late 60's through the mid 80's. I really enjoyed the D's they were alittle warm in summer but throw a windshield on them and they were cozy in the late fall and early winter. When I read Lekas comments about the king pin on the 101's it brought to mind when the 4 front trunion bolts on one of our D's snapped when I was cruising back to the black dirt stockpile, I was in top gear flat out it really got my attention!!!!!

Attachments

• Wabco D trunion fail at 30 mph 001.jpg
    Wabco D trunion fail at 30 mph 001.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,062