• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
Hi Guys

Ref Jims post and as listed in Phil Gowenlocks book.." Wabco Australia " the following units are listed:

1979...2 x units shipped to Christmas Islands..Aus SN's AHS2678 and
AHS2679..both fitted with BM17D pans

1984......Aus SN AHS2788

1985.. .Aus SN AHS2787

Ring-in

Weakness these are just my thoughts as I don't want to sound like a hero,its your machine you drive it your way.

The load 1 load 2 travel switch panel is dead

That makes life hard when you are getting serious with it,I take it that its a single switch with 2 positions load 1 is general driving and load 2 is for actual loading.

the scrapers had a hard life in Rockhampton, they will take a while to get back into good condition.

Thats a shame from my understanding they are a really good machine but they are a bit fragile and don't take abuse very well.

All I can do at present is use either the front or dual accelerator pedal. It may not look like the old girl was working hard in the video, but she was sinking 10 inches into the black mud even just travelling, so really on a steep climb the whole cycle. She just wouldn't go any faster

To me it looked like it was traveling to fast while loading,you are in first gear?The loading setting I was told gives the hydraulic system more power during loading and to me felt like it slowed down the speed that the machine moved forward.At the start of the cut I always dropped the bowl in deep and loaded up the elevator motors then gradually lifted the bowl as I went along.If the elevator motors started to stall (you can hear the front engine load right up) and it was to late to lift the bowl as this takes more power from the engine I would jump on the front motor pedal.This would just about stop the scraper from moving forward and clear the elevators backlog then you could continue on.I have not experienced the type of mud you have there but have loaded thick red clay,they just seem to load better by moving slowly forward with plenty of depth in the cut.

and was often touching 100 deg at the end of loading

Fixing the loading system may help with temps.

I did have her up to 5th gear on the road over - that was exciting!

Cowboy :):)

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hi Jim, Ray C,
Serial numbers are complicated - I thought the front would determine the machine...
Rear plates are:
-AHS 2787, with front plate (made in Aus) AGP 1694, which is operational, and
-AHS 2788, with front plate (made in US) GP 32076. This is the machine which had a reasonable 12v-71, and a badly running engine, and the good one threw a rod outside. They pulled both engines out, and there it sat. It looks to be the machine Graemets3 photographed, maybe with a 333 neck as Ring-in described. It has the straighter body.
I don't have elevator gearboxes for it, though they are supposed to be just lost...

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Thanks Ring-in,
I want you to post as much as you can remember - I have been operating 101G's for 25 years, but these beasts are all new to me, and your experience with them has great value to me.

I live near Gunnedah, north west NSW, drop in any time.

I didn't bid on a parts book and service manual for the 353FT just last year on eBay, thinking "well, I am never going to have something that big...". I bought just about every other wabco manual, including 333FT, so out of luck there. Haven't seen one come up since. Re loading options, it is a three position switch, Load one, Travel, and Load 2. From the leaflet (also eBay..):

Attachments

• 353FT pg 5 (Small).jpg
    353FT pg 5 (Small).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,341
Last edited:

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
I love my 222 too! (well, V power C and Hancock..)

Hi Weaknees
Just out of interest who owned them at Rockhampton and what were
they working in.

They were part of a great fleet of 777 cat trucks, a 100 tonne DeMag excavator, several smaller excavators, and D10 dozer privately owned doing a real estate subdivision, at Zilzie bay. They seemed to be working in sulphuric acid sand and rock..

Attachments

• Zilzie trip Oct 09 022 (Small).jpg
    Zilzie trip Oct 09 022 (Small).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2,353
  • Zilzie trip Oct 09 080 (Small).jpg
    Zilzie trip Oct 09 080 (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,363

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
353 Op and Maint Manual

Hi Steve

I brought a 353FT op & maint manual a while back...so I can scan any relevant info and send to your e-mail if your interested

Ray

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hi Ray,

I would love a wiring diagram scan if possible, it is great to know someone with the manual!

Steve

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
Manual

Hi Steve

Do you want to send me a PM with your postal address and I will send you a copy of the manual...the manual is not huge...aprox 70 pages...no problem to copy and happy to send ....great to see a 353 preserved and in operation...and maybe one day a chance to see in operation

Ray

green lizzard

Weaknees,I was talking to Brendan Lowe when he sold those machines and said they were going to Queensland.In the mid eighties I saw one of these machines in a yard in Albury and it had been repossesed from an outfit around Bourke or Wee Waa called Baldy Fletcher so it may be possible that Brendan got it from there.I know one of Brendans old operators here in the Hunter Valley called Mick Radatz who used to drive them and said how good they were but they wouldn,t take the pounding or abuse on rough ground compared to the cats with the cushion hitches.

Ring-in

Thanks Ring-in,
I want you to post as much as you can remember

Not a problem when I stumbled onto the forum and knowing how rare they are I felt compelled to offer some advice,you have spent a considerable amount of money to purchase a rare machine which if broken through lack of knowledge could be a huge headache to repair.
The operating page you have posted about the loading 1 and 2 has now jogged my memory.We never used load 2 as traction was never a problem in the conditions I had therefore only initially remembered 2 positions on the switch,looks like you have it covered so thats the main thing.Apart from possibly using load 2 in sand I see no other benefit apart from wet conditions which is to dangerous in my books.I do remember Prospect after the rain the powerslides were fun but it ended with a bit of a drama:pointhead.Brendan who had driven scapers from 15 years of age taught me to drive them he was a man of few choice words and he never mentioned load 2.

- I have been operating 101G's for 25 years, but these beasts are all new to me, and your experience with them has great value to me.

Glad I could help.I also have trade qualifications as a fitter machinist with considerable knowledge of hydraulics/Pneumatics systems and hoses.

I live near Gunnedah, north west NSW, drop in any time.

Thanks for the offer and email,I will get back to you soon.Cheers.

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor

Jim Irwin

Hey Steve,
I looked at the video of the 353 loading. Looks like it was painted recently, the white is quite vivid on the elevator frame, normally, thats always worn back to metal.

Keep up the photos and videos. How many Litres p/hour are you using? What do you think youll hire it out for per/hour?

I havent got anything on the 353 except a report by the developer of the 353 Cedric Hurst, who in 1977 wrote a paper for the Society of Automotive Engineers.

Cheers

Ring-in

And for Ring-in, with great difficulty, as I still need both hands for operating the 353..this is only short because I stalled out the elevators and had to drop everything!

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/...ion=view&current=drivingWabco353FTscraper.flv

-Steve

Well i don't know if its just me because I spent many hours in the Wabco cab but that engine sound from there was fantastic,thanks for posting that Weaknees.
I think once you get the load panel sorted out you will be surprised just how much of an improvement it will make to loading.I could not see how full the bowl was there but it didn't look right the way it was loading.I have been trying hard to remember the odd few times that I tried to load after forgetting to flick the loading switch and at a guess I think it looked the same as that video.You may however want to check that both elevator motors are working,that happened to me once with a similar result to the video.
Lets hope that RayC can provide you with a wiring diagram or is it possible to learn something from the other 353 that you have there or is that one also a mess?
One more thing that looked a bit odd in that video was the mounting point/pin for the steering ram (end closest to the cab) didn't look to factory made to me.I do remember breaking one of those pins and saw a few more break on the 333's.It would appear that they are a weak point and might pay to have a spare or two close at hand.Feel free to post more video when you get the panel sorted,I'll be watching,with my sound turned up:D.Cheers.

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hi Ray,
Operation manual arrived today, that is a great copy. Thanks very much.

Jim - paint is something I lay about a bit, to every machine I am working on. I always work from the worst ugly bits to the best, it is amazing what removing eyesores does to the 'feeling' about whether the machine is a wreck or a goer- from a hiring customer's point of view.

Fuel use - I guess about 80 litres per hour so far. Hiring rate is too high to mention, I will just work on the basis of metres moved, say $0.80 - $1.20 per metre, depending on a few factors.

Ring-in - the steering ram head you mention is a home-made replacement, looks ugly but seems quite strong

-Steve.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Weaknees,I was talking to Brendan Lowe when he sold those machines and said they were going to Queensland.In the mid eighties I saw one of these machines in a yard in Albury and it had been repossesed from an outfit around Bourke or Wee Waa called Baldy Fletcher so it may be possible that Brendan got it from there.I know one of Brendans old operators here in the Hunter Valley called Mick Radatz who used to drive them and said how good they were but they wouldn,t take the pounding or abuse on rough ground compared to the cats with the cushion hitches.

That company was Baldi & Fletcher from Griffith. I worked with those guys in 1983 on 'Collymongel' at Colarenabri doing irrigation storages, although they a couple of '23s out there. I knew they had a 222H but no knowledge of 353s.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
More 101F Pics

repost of link for my 101G video, since I accidently shifted it in photobucket.. -

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/weaknees/Scrapers/?action=view&current=Jan2010018.flv

And for Ring-in, with great difficulty, as I still need both hands for operating the 353..this is only short because I stalled out the elevators and had to drop everything!

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/...ion=view&current=drivingWabco353FTscraper.flv

-Steve

Nice vid Steve, I'll have to make a vid myself ;) My 101F sounds very different now with C Series, just an elbow out of the turbo & fresh air, sounds like its a bigger jigger too:D
A couple of pics with the new engine & one from when I first purchased it :)
Checked the loan statement, can pay out the loan tommorrow. Yah Hoo, we own it at last, no more finance :D You beauty :cool:

Attachments

• 101F with C SeriesR.jpg
    101F with C SeriesR.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,861
  • 101F with C Series.jpg
    101F with C Series.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,856
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,856
Last edited:

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Nice pics Russ, she is a beast with that C series. I have a pair of NTC 400's to fit to the dead 353, she won't sound the same, but should go better and cheaper.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
HP is +, Torque is +++

Power has gone from 175Hp to 210Hp, was told final drives would tolerate a 10% Hp increase without any dramas but torque is a fair bit more so I've got to be gentle climbing out of borrow pits & change the final drive oils more regularly.:naughty

Jim Irwin

Hey Weeknees,
How are your big white babies going? give us all an update, one of these days im going to come up and visit and crawl over them.

cheers