• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco 111A Scraper

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Nice looking machine. does yours have the 3300 series Allison trans? I have only seen one of those, but lots of tedious stickshift machines.

Brainzie

Nice Tidy Wabco there leroy. Have you changed the switches on the gooseneck to the solid state type ?

Aussie Leroy

RZucker; She has a 6 speed Allison And Im sure its 3300 series always feels bullet proof (touch wood). only ever seen one with stick shift ?? and the Bloke driving her was as busy as a one legged man in a bum kicking competition. Leroy

Aussie Leroy

RZucker; She has a 6 speed Allison And Im sure its 3300 series always feels bullet proof (touch wood). only ever seen one with stick shift ?? and the Bloke driving her was as busy as a one legged man in a bum kicking competition. Leroy( Sorry) it wasnt me its the computers fault

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Silly computers. I did get to test drive that particular 111 a few loads and was very pleased with it. I was originally called by the customer to troubleshoot a steering issue. Cleaned the dead flies out of his contactors and life was good! I did have another customer with a stickshift 111 and it was a BIG handful to operate, exactly as you mentioned. Myself I preferred the B70 with a steering wheel! Regards.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I am curious about those "solid state contactors. In the early 90s I helped a bit with a company rebuilding 5 CM 50 cranes for the US Navy and they were using a vacuum contactor that excluded oxygen from the point eliminating arcing and flashovers.

td25c

The 111 Wabco looks & sounds great Aussie Leroy :thumbsup I still have the old switches on the C-pull.Funny thing is I dont notice the noise of them operating until my dad made a video of it working.Allot of clicking & clacking of the steering switches in the background noise:D Thats cool that you have experience with the Wabco RZucker:).We still keep an old C-pull around for moving dirt.Damb good & well built machines.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
C-pull with an elevator? I had one around 15 years ago traded off for a 222f that needed an engine. Got a newer 8-71 out of a link belt excavator for 1500$ and except for the oil coolers she bolted right in! Really strong runner too.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
If you guys would like to see more of my Wabco experience, go to" Wabco scrapers at work". I was at the Mourer 353 auction making those girls do their thing. Matter of fact I drove number 25 across the RB block. I don't miss them though, most ended up in my backyard. Guess who maintains them now?

td25c

C-pull with an elevator? I had one around 15 years ago traded off for a 222f that needed an engine. Got a newer 8-71 out of a link belt excavator for 1500$ and except for the oil coolers she bolted right in! Really strong runner too.

Mine is the elevating C-pull with the 5 speed manual transmission. What I have allways found interesting is how cool the engine runs on it. I had a lake project in the summer of 2011 ,used the C-pull to hogg out the baisin & haul 25,000 yards to build the dam.It was in august and 95F to 100F days .Old 8 V-71 detroit never went over 185F .

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Yep, I think Cs and 222s were blessed with a better cooling system than 333s. 353s fixed that problem with that HUGE fan and radiator. Im speaking up front. the rears on 333FTs and 353s never seemed to have that problem.

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hi RZucker, re Wabco 353FT's

If you guys would like to see more of my Wabco experience, go to" Wabco scrapers at work". I was at the Mourer 353 auction making those girls do their thing. Matter of fact I drove number 25 across the RB block. I don't miss them though, most ended up in my backyard. Guess who maintains them now?

I have 2 of these, and always need parts and sources for repairs. I would love to catch up with you, here, or email - footstool.em@bigpond.com

Cheers,
Steve from Australia.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I have 2 of these, and always need parts and sources for repairs. I would love to catch up with you, here, or email - footstool.em@bigpond.com

Cheers,
Steve from Australia.

Il be any help I can. Im working on Mr Browns machines again lately. Just finished a kingpin job on ex Mourer #27, doing the LH front cylinder head on #20, and have a a front engine overhaul to do on #21. If I remember right 21 was M Mourers pet. Mr brown is gearing up for some new land development I believe. Anyway, Il work on the email thing. Regards, Rob.

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Thanks Rob, maybe keep it on Wabcos at work thread, then others can chip in with experience or parts sources.
I'll post my current problem there - I have stripped my last generator rotor output spline (and the driving flange as well) I need new parts, or a machining solution.
-Steve

Chase#6

Hello RZucker

I have a Wabco 111 based in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. The contactors used to control the steering and the rear loading elevators are completely fried through the arcing and flashovers you explained in your previous post. Cut a long story short, I cannot find replacement parts in SA. Do you have a lead for these spares? Also, how can these systems be switched to a solid state?

Regards
Chase
chase.minnaar@yahoo.com

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Hello RZucker

I have a Wabco 111 based in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. The contactors used to control the steering and the rear loading elevators are completely fried through the arcing and flashovers you explained in your previous post. Cut a long story short, I cannot find replacement parts in SA. Do you have a lead for these spares? Also, how can these systems be switched to a solid state?

Regards
Chase
chase.minnaar@yahoo.com

Chase, do you just need new contact points or the complete assembly? The 111, if memory serves me correctly used the #4 contactor for steering and elevator functions. those are pretty common to the 222 and 333 machines, elevator and initial excitation contacts used the same contact points. Hope this helps.

Brainzie

Hi Leroy.

I`ve been watching your video a bit and noticed you have changed the adjustment for the elevator chain. could you please put some some photos of what you have done as it looks a lot better way than the oridinal way of adjustment, yours is very similar to a cat.

Thanks Brainzie