• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wa 450-2 loader , fuel smoke issues

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
We got a old dinosaur loader we run around everyday, an it’s seems to be over fueling, can smell it in the exhaust, an it blows black smoke when hammering down on throttle,an it’s smokes blue when idleing, just had motor rebuild an had all injectors reworked , then crankshaft had broke, so I replaced it an it started the over fueling again (I think) over head was done an injectors were set at 6” pounds (used the correct Cummins tool). Starts rite up just smoking lil heavy. Would love some advice, PT fuel pump has been reworked few yrs ago too. Any ideas or advice would be gladly appreciated. Thx

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Blue smoke says you're probably pulling oil past valves or turbo is slobbering. Black says overfuel. That could be a boost leak, damaged turbo or bad injector. Is your fuel return smooth and free flowing? Is your AFC in place? Is the pipe kinked? How about your air cleaner? How does it act when warmed up?

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Just had turbo reworked few months ago it’s the (water cooled) one an all the injectors just been reworked, new head, new crankshaft, New inner an outer air filters,Idles with heavy blue smoke an can really smell the fuel, river motor up hard an will roll black smoke and then eventually lets up , get back on it again an rolls more black smoke, Just seems like an over fueling issues, Doesn’t use any oil . Hadn’t checked fuel return from head back to pt pump, I’ll check my cooler for leaks aswell. Thx for ur input

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So, that should be an L10. Can you tell us if it is an L10 celect or STC or an LTA 10
Either way, the intake manifold/rocker box has always had issues with failing the intake ports. Might be pulling oil in from around the injectors. Is your throttle response sluggish or snappy? How did you run the overhead? I would suggest using OBC method vs IBC method. If you have STC and the solenoid is bad, she'll smoke like a pig. Do you have an oil manifold feeding the injectors under the valve cover?

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
It’s the LTA10. With the big ole rocker box I used the timeing method were ya see what letters on the accessory drive pulley an did the injector on one hole an valves on a differ hole. Used a Cummings 6 inch pound break away t handle tool. Motor is not a stc.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Have you heard, or are you familiar with OBC method? I will post a link to very informative website, it is described clearly.
http://www.chathamfuel.com/generic....Tech Tips - NT/N14 OBC Overhead Set Procedure
This is by far the simplest method to reduce smoke. That said, since it's not STC and this engine has been mutted together from various parts. Are we 100% sure of cam / crank correlation. Not saying anyone is incapable, but accidents happen. Something to look at. I wouldn't be against removing the injectors and having the tested. ReCon doesn't mean it can't fail.